• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    I have been looking for alternatives for an elderly family member, out of state, for a power source for an at home dialysis machine. The need arises during frequent, bad weather events and strong winter snow falls.
    The expense of a Generac, whole house system is not an option. The manufacturer of the dialysis machine offered no solutions and in fact did not recommend supplemental power as a way to power the machine so the cycles could be completed!?@ I do not see this elderly family member going to the garage in the middle of the night, hauling out a portable generator and starting it up, making the power transfer and going back to bed.
    Am I needing a battery backup system of some sort with an inline switch? How do I consider the power consumption spikes when the machine cycles on and off... doing its thing
    Any ideas?

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS) are common for computer systems...

How many watts are we talking about here? If this plugs into the wall, it must be less than 2kW.
    And how long would it be required to run?

Could a bank of marine batteries, an inverter and a battery charger work in a similar way?

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    To help we need to know power draw (amount and time) and budget. There are UPSs that can be used. There are solar “generators” that can be used as a UPS. But we need to know requirements.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    No solutions but I really want know why they don’t recommend any sort of back up power? Seems kinda important to make sure you finish a session :dunno:
    It might be due to the way most UPS’s do not create a true AC sine waveform due to the inverter. This can affect how finely calibrated electronic circuits perform.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Computer server UPS with a battery bank attachment capacity allowing the cycle to finish. Should be able to finish the cycle and some left over for a tv ect.

Would plug into the existing power to charge and would auto switch when power goes out can be hooked to Ethernet to monitor charge cycles ect.

Can not understand why the company did not mention the solution themselves.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    To help we need to know power draw (amount and time) and budget. There are UPSs that can be used. There are solar “generators” that can be used as a UPS. But we need to know requirements.
    Yep, OP post a picture of the data plate from the electric motor or data plate on the machine.
    Need to know amps or watts and voltage.

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    I will have hands on the machine around Thanksgiving. 9.5 hour drive to VA. I can gather more info then. I am reaching out to the manufacturer again hoping to get another opinion. UPS was what I was thinking also. Unit does draw from a house plug.
    The Jackery units looked promising. Budget, most likely, is under $1000.00. Although when you consider the cost of not using anything and the physical issues that might happen.... I guess no $$ is too much.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You're gonna have to figure out what kind of draw you have (amp), and then look at the Amp Hour rating on the UPS.
    Get an approx of how long it will last.

Cheap UPSs will not give you much operating time.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, and if you are looking at a UPS, several key points:
    1: They are VERY inefficient. They produce more heat energy than power until you reach 90-95% max output power consumption. So you may look at the batteries and say "there is enough energy in them to run this small device for 6 hours!" Wrong. The excess energy will be lost as heat and the unit will still shut down after 2 hours instead of 6. (random values for ease of discussion. Not scientific numbers)
    2: If you NEED perfect sine waves look for an "online" (vs standby) or "double conversion" UPS. Those will create a perfect sine wave. And only cost an average of $200 more.

Ive got one of these (I think) at my office and it includes a remote start fob. So setup properly with Propane, its possible to set them up so that they can simply push the remote start and move the power cord on the device to a different outlet?

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Not sure if there is a real answer to cover all concerns. Personally I'd be contacting the product manufacturer for recommendations. Secondly, I truly believe there is a support group for such individuals and if not, I bet it would be very popular and maybe spark an engineers interest in developing a backup. (it would make a ton of money)

Years ago we had similar hurdles in the home O2 arena. Today we have battery operated portable systems in case the main unit goes out or the patient wishes to travel.

Expose the need, expand the need and someone will see the gold.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I see an opportunity for a rental company to provide these for a monthly fee. If proven and patients and providers squeal enough, maybe be able to get medicare approval for a rent to own?

Don't laugh....I've seen a lot in my life. The argument is that the equipment cannot be used without a power source; it becomes a medical necessity.

I'll take 3%, thank you.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Bring the situation to the dialyses manufacturer. They have the means to manufacturer them and they in turn can help get the medicare approval and a necessity.

Thjhis will take a few years, but todasys problems will make a brighter future for someone else.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I have been looking for alternatives for an elderly family member, out of state, for a power source for an at home dialysis machine. The need arises during frequent, bad weather events and strong winter snow falls.
    The expense of a Generac, whole house system is not an option. The manufacturer of the dialysis machine offered no solutions and in fact did not recommend supplemental power as a way to power the machine so the cycles could be completed!?@ I do not see this elderly family member going to the garage in the middle of the night, hauling out a portable generator and starting it up, making the power transfer and going back to bed.
    Am I needing a battery backup system of some sort with an inline switch? How do I consider the power consumption spikes when the machine cycles on and off... doing its thing
    Any ideas?
    Make sure you call the electrical utility and tell them.

A lot of them have a priority list.

Top Bottom