• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Almost certainly. Even these dummies don't run screws into a pressure hull. Also I believe the hull is titanium with carbon fiber weave over it, not full thickness carbon fiber.

I don't think real DSV builders would even chance welding brackets and stuff to the wall of the pressure sphere. They may build, basically, a floating cage inside to mount everything to. Wonder if they have to design in clearance for the hull to compress...

I don't know about those subs, but ours had a floating deck. As we dove, the hull would compress, and the deck would ride the struts, causing creaking and groaning as everything adjusted.
    Kinda spooky the first dozen times.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    A remotely operated vehicle deployed from a Canadian vessel to the ocean floor discovered a "debris field" near the Titanic, the U.S. Coast Guard said on Thursday morning on Twitter, adding that experts were "evaluating the information."

Not "debris", a "debris field". Interesting. And very bad. Submersibles don't survive events that generate debris fields.

It will be obvious as soon as they find one of the titanium domes and some thruster pods or something. Nothing else down there looks like brand new submersible parts.

A debris field.
    In the middle of the ocean.

Doesn't mean a whole lot.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    A remotely operated vehicle deployed from a Canadian vessel to the ocean floor discovered a "debris field" near the Titanic, the U.S. Coast Guard said on Thursday morning on Twitter, adding that experts were "evaluating the information."

Well, at least the poor schmucks never knew what hit 'em.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It’s mind boggling to me that anyone would be careless enough to knowingly take shortcuts and cheap out while building this contraption.

I think it's called 'normalcy' bias.
    I'd say, there even needs to be a subcategory of it applying it to people's faith in TECHNOLOGY.

"Oh, those old rules don't apply, because of ....."

I've heard it so many times.
    Often from the general public.
    But all too often from "experts".

Yes, technology does improve, or even fix things.
    But that doesn't mean it's guaranteed.
    And sometimes the 'tech' is just a few buttons, and a few LED lights sprinkled around.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Seeing on Twitter the US Coast Guard found a debris field.

Edit- I see I was scooped by Rob. You have to fast around here.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have to believe that there is a lot of junk on the floor of the ocean, particularly on a route between NYC and England. Guess we'll wait and see what they bring up.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I have to believe that there is a lot of junk on the floor of the ocean, particularly on a route between NYC and England. Guess we'll wait and see what they bring up.
    They leave the dead up on Everest, If some private enterprise wants to go down and deal with this with their own money I am all for it. Id rather not see my tax dollars funding a dime of any of it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    They leave the dead up on Everest, If some private enterprise wants to go down and deal with this with their own money I am all for it. Id rather not see my tax dollars funding a dime of any of it.

When they get a gadget on scene that can bring some pieces back and get a positive ID it's from the sub they should say a prayer and go home.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    They usually leave the dead in the ocean.

But who knows now?

Top Bottom