• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    So, as a soon-to-be can owner, now’s time to start stocking up.

While a number of 147gr 9mm rounds indicate being subsonic, there are far greater options if shopping by rated speed.

Is it a safe bet that a round rated at 1000fps (which a number of them are) will perform as well as a subsonic-rated round (from a noise perspective)?

It would seem that a solid marketing tactic would be to label rounds under 1116fps as subsonic, but that doesn‘t appear to be the case.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

While a number of 147gr 9mm rounds indicate being subsonic, there are far greater options if shopping by rated speed.

Is it a safe bet that a round rated at 1000fps (which a number of them are) will perform as well as a subsonic-rated round (from a noise perspective)?

It would seem that a solid marketing tactic would be to label rounds under 1116fps as subsonic, but that doesn‘t appear to be the case.
    I don't think you will find any standard 147 grain factory loads that aren't subsonic.
    Its not printed on the box, because I would bet most buyers don't know the difference.
    Maybe Andrew, will chime in.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Most sub ammo will go supersonic in my 8.3" barreled AR9. The exception to this Federal 150gr Systech. It stays sub sonic in the longer barrel

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    You will find that there are bullet weights that are known to be subsonic within certain cartridge offerings. For example, no one buys 115 gn 9mm expecting subsonic performance but everyone buys 147 (and heavier) 9mm expecting subs. With 300 blackout, 110,125,147 are all supers while 200 gn and above are assumed to be subs.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    The best results I have seen in sub sonic 9mm are with 165gr rounds. Almost dead silent with my liberty can and very quiet in a Silencerco 9K

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    You can buy loaded ammo in 165, I load with Extreme plated bullets

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN

To the OP's question - manufacturers use the word "subsonic" as a marketing tool. Winchester white box 45acp is a naturally subsonic round, but they also sell "Super Suppressed" black box 45acp with a cool logo. It costs a good bit more. Why? Because most people (OP excluded, he understands the laws of physics) don't know that the 45 is subsonic anyway. Note: I've seen improperly loaded supersonic 45acp with a 230gn ball. It does destroy the host firearm.

To further complicate things - subsonic at sea level isn't the same loading data as subsonic at 4000 ft. Subsonic at 90 degrees F often isn't the same load as 20 degrees F. (There are temperature stable powders, but that's a can of worms for another thread.) Also, the speed of sound is different at higher elevation than it is at sea level. When the air is thinner, there is less resistance (i.e. cold, higher elevation) so rounds on the cusp of the sound barrier will break that magic number.

Why don't manufacturers call 9mm 147gn subsonic ammo? My guess is that they can repackage the same ammo, put it in a much cooler and "tactical" box and sell it to unsuspecting people for more money.

The thoughtful answer is that they never know the barometric conditions / elevation of the shooter using their products, and that can change the performance of a round. The real world answer is people shell out a lot more money for ammo in cool boxes.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    And one more note - barrel length can affect subsonic / supersonic performance too. A round that is subsonic from a 8" barrel might be 1100fps+ from a 16" barrel. Back to the point that the manufacturer never knows how the end user will use the ammo.

I'm guessing the "super suppressed tactical evil black box silver writing mega suppressor awesome costs more ammo (did we mention it's for suppressors") ammo might be downloaded slightly to guarantee it's subsonic from a longer barrel. That again assumes ammo manufacturers aren't money grabbers from the tacticool crowd, and we all know that IS the case.

way2good4u95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 5, 2018
    Plainfield
    Barrel length is the big thing. With those fps ratings, have to check length of barrel they shoot from. I've had good luck with Freedom Munitions ammo despite what some people think. I can buy their 147gr 9mm and it's subsonic through my CZ Scorpion. But if I had a 16"+ barrel 9mm rifle, I'd probably opt for their "subsonic load" due to it being rated at an even lower fps and better chance of it staying in subsonic fps ranges through the longer barrel even though it costs much more.

BigNyaKelly

Coffee Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2023
    Worcester

Yeah it's always worth mentioning that the subsonics tend not to take into consideration PCCs with long barrels! - I have a 16 inch AR-9 that basically turns anything into supers.

Top Bottom