• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • guitarman1474

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2018
    Greenwood
    I'm thinking about concealing. Shot a Sig P938...loved it... but can't afford that. I also really like the SA XDS double stack but a bit too large. Any preferences for a <$500 sub-compact?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    S&W shield. I have one in 45acp and is pretty darn accurate and very easy to handle for a compact 45

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The Springfield XDs is a single stack so it's pretty thin. The S&W Shield is another good option. Both can be had for less the $400.

Since this will be your first handgun, I'll suggest a few things. First off, get some training. This will familiarize you with the safety aspect.

Second, try before you buy if at all possible. Find a range that rents the gun you're thinking about and shoot it.

My personal advice is not to start with a sub-compact. They tend to be harder to shoot good vs something like a Glock 19 sized pistol. With the right gear, like a proper gun belt and holster, concealing a G19 sized pistol is real easy.

Welcome to INGO.

Last edited:

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    For the past 4 years I have not found anything I liked better than the Kahr CM9. I have tried pretty much all of the others. Most are great firearms and it is more of a preference thing. I will definitely try out the Sig P365 this summer after some of the hype dies down. I agree that the Sig P938 is awesome and don't plan to get rid of mine, I just find I rarely carry it due to the safety.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Starting in May of last year I was looking for small for the pocket concealment.
    I tried many, renting at the range and buying and selling and I ended up with the Sheild (s):
    .380, M/P 9mm, MP45mm.
    There are some I never experienced due to the range not having them and they were over my "budget."
    For a revolver, I have an Airwieght S/W hammerless 38, SS, 5 shot Smith 642 (wish I would have just gotten one with a hammer).

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    You really need to at least hold (and ideally shoot) the various options. Unlike Butch, I found the Nano to feel terrible in my small hands and it had a horrible trigger so I immediately dropped it from the list. The G43 felt better than I expected. The P365 felt almost too small but those that have shot it say there's surprisingly little recoil compared to other SCs.

I guess you first need to decide do you really need a subcompact (ie, pocket carry or absolutely cannot print at work for example) or if a compact will suffice. Here is a synopsis of several single stacks. Haven't held a Taurus 709 yet but it's double stack sibling, the PT111, actually felt really good and fairly decent trigger. I'd add the Walther PPS M2 and the Honor Guard to that list.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Starting in May of last year I was looking for small for the pocket concealment.
    I tried many, renting at the range and buying and selling and I ended up with the Sheild (s):
    .380, M/P 9mm, MP45mm.
    There are some I never experienced due to the range not having them and they were over my "budget."
    For a revolver, I have an Airwieght S/W hammerless 38, SS, 5 shot Smith 642 (wish I would have just gotten one with a hammer).

A 45 is 45 auto. Not 45mm. The bullet is actually .451 in (11.5 mm)

Best advice I can give to anyone. Don't go with comfort over an inadequate gun. Pocket carry may be comfortable. But can you make a 25 yard shot with a really small handgun if you need too?

LEGSHOW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    crown point
    Self defense at 25 yards? Pocket guns are for what their designed for, highly concealable and for close encounters. Don't pull the trigger at 25 yards. You will need a better than good lawyer. Been in the courtroom many times over this.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Glock26, does everything the 43 does, but better. Oh, and you can shoot it at 25 yards or more despite former posts to the contrary.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Self defense at 25 yards? Pocket guns are for what their designed for, highly concealable and for close encounters. Don't pull the trigger at 25 yards. You will need a better than good lawyer. Been in the courtroom many times over this.

A self defense shoot at 25 yards is very possible. Perfect example is a movie theater.

Top Bottom