Stupid Question, bit by a Goose...Anything to worry about???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Just got a call from my daughter, who is away at school. She asked "Do Geese carry any diseases?".

I replied, I don't think so, why??? She said that her campus has become over ran with geese the past week. She was walking back to her dorm and was attacked by a goose. She said it began flapping it's wings, became airborne and bit her hard enough to draw blood in the upper arm....

Soooo, anything to worry about??? She is a typical broke college student and doesn't want to spend the money to go to the clinic if it's not needed...

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Bird flu is the only thing that comes to mind besides bacterial infection. Canada Geese are nasty creatures and eat even nastier things.

Website grants permission to use image...
    5-signs-of-wound-infection.jpg

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    I worked at addling Canadian goose eggs for several years to help local homeowners and landlords around the area retention ponds. Had a male goose fly in while removing eggs from a nest and surprised me from behind. When I heard the wings and turned he was leading with the feet and got me on the face with the claws. I whacked him with baton I was carrying but still got some nasty gashes which of course became infected. Took several weeks of treatment to heal up. Make sure she gets some medical attention pronto if it did cause bleeding and antibiotics are proscribed. Goose wounds are nothing to mess with. Chime in Doc.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Just got a call from my daughter, who is away at school. She asked "Do Geese carry any diseases?".

I replied, I don't think so, why??? She said that her campus has become over ran with geese the past week. She was walking back to her dorm and was attacked by a goose. She said it began flapping it's wings, became airborne and bit her hard enough to draw blood in the upper arm....

Soooo, anything to worry about??? She is a typical broke college student and doesn't want to spend the money to go to the clinic if it's not needed...

The two most important questions to ask:

1. Is she hot?
    2. Did she curb-stomp the goose like it deserved?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Government birds, there's no end to the problems they cause. Treat it like a cut from something dirty, disinfectant, bandage and see the doc if it gets infected.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Canada Geese are vegetarians. Grasses and grains make up their diet.

The issue of infection comes from where their feet/toenails have been and what may be on their food they consume. They certainly eat where they poop. And we all know how much a goose poops. Copious is an understatement.

To answer your question: There's probably nothing specific to worry about. In general, keep the wound clean and watch for infection...same issue as if you cut yourself on a tree branch while hiking through the woods.

I also bet that UIndy has a health clinic that she can visit.

She also needs to report the attack to campus police so they can work on keeping the vermin from nesting near buildings.

Top Bottom