• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I have a pin stuck in the barrel ring of the old RPK that is rusted, deformed, whatever and refuses to budge (barrel stub is still in it). I've tried tapping it nicely, penetrating oil, heat. Nothing seem to make it budge. One problem with tapping is keeping the ring steady and in a good position for a good tap (it is round and wobbles).

My only option appears to be drilling it out with a carbide bit, once I get a good solid lock on it unless anyone else has another idea to try.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    take a block of wood and a dremel and cut it so you have something solid and properly cut out to keep the ring from wobbling. Use heat and kroil. Make sure the surface under the "block" is a solid surface. anvil, concrete ect, and not a wood bench top, unless its substantial. also use a steel punch and a ball peen hammer, the brass gunsmithing hammers don't transfer enough energy.

also, it would help if you would ask a question in the OP. you just made a comment so I am not even sure if you were soliciting advice to try before drilling it w/ a carbide bit.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I wasn't sure if there was a question to ask. I was tossing it out there to see if someone came up with something. Thanks for the idea. I'll let you know if it works. I really don't want to drill, especially something this small.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    It's not out yet but I had to start drilling it out...very slowly. Heat, Kroil, steel punch, the wood block over the anvil, nothing would work. The wood block has made it stable enough to drill out.

Top Bottom