• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tc343

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Apr 17, 2012
    Greenfield
    Well I guess I didn't use enough lube on one of my cases and now I have a .223 case stuck in the sizing die. How can I remove it without damaging my die.
    It's a rcbs die if that changes anything and I cannot remove the decapping pin it won't come free of the case.

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    You can't give up trying to get the decapping rod out of that case. Assuming that you eventually will, this has worked for me:

1. Put the die in a vice with case head facing up.
    2. Drill whatever sized hole into the primer pocket that will accept a 1/4-20 tap. I'm not sure...maybe 13/64 bit.
    3. Find something like a socket that will sit on the die but allow the case to be pulled up inside of it (picture a small, 3/8 drive socket upside down. Cut the threads into the brass case with your tap.

4. Put a 1/4-20 bolt with a washer under it (or whatever matches the tap that you used) through that upside down socket and thread it into the tapped hole.

5. Tighten the bolt until the head touches the washer that touches the upside down socket and it will pull that case right out. Once it gets out a little ways, you can yank it out with pliers.

I am not familiar with your particular die set. My 25 year-old Lyman decapping rod has a screw on expander that houses the decapping pin. When I got a stuck case in it, I turned the decapping rod counter clockwise to release the rod from the stuck case. From there, you can tap the decapping pin into the case if you need to with a small punch. Once I got my case out, I could just cut the case head off with a hacksaw and dump out the expander and pin. I know you're in a spot since .223 dies are as rare as anything else. Be careful and good luck!

Last edited:

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    You can't give up trying to get the decapping rod out of that case. Assuming that you eventually will, this has worked for me:

2. Drill whatever sized hole into the primer pocket that will accept a 1/4-20 tap. I'm not sure...maybe 13/64 bit.
    3. Find something like a socket that will sit on the die but allow the case to be pulled up inside of it (picture a small, 3/8 drive socket upside down. Cut the threads into the brass case with your tap.

4. Put a 1/4-20 bolt with a washer under it (or whatever matches the tap that you used) through that upside down socket and thread it into the tapped hole.

5. Tighten the bolt until the head touches the washer that touches the upside down socket and it will pull that case right out. Once it gets out a little ways, you can yank it out with pliers.

Ditto :)

coyotehunter4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    WEST CENTRAL IND.

I am not familiar with your particular die set. My 25 year-old Lyman decapping rod has a screw on expander that houses the decapping pin. When I got a stuck case in it, I turned the decapping rod counter clockwise to release the rod from the stuck case. From there, you can tap the decapping pin into the case if you need to with a small punch. Once I got my case out, I could just cut the case head off with a hacksaw and dump out the expander and pin. I know you're in a spot since .223 dies are as rare as anything else. Be careful and good luck!

I've used that method, Works great.

Saw46071

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    I agree with other posts . What a pain !
    I quit us ring rcbs dies and use only lee now
    Much easier to remove the cases .
    Also love hornaday one shot case lube .
    I load alot of mil 223 and I gave these
    Dies away to Lebanon gun dealer
    Because I was over it . Good luck .

Menace67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Noblesville
    You can try putting it in the freezer to help, or send it back to rcbs and they will fix it for free and we also sell a stuck case remover if you can't get it out and don't want to send it in.

77broncoman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Martinsville, IN
    You can try putting it in the freezer to help, or send it back to rcbs and they will fix it for free and we also sell a stuck case remover if you can't get it out and don't want to send it in.

+1 for sending back to RCBS....had a 300 win mag mag get stuck on me once (wasn't using enough lube) and sent it back. Within a week it was back in my possession as good as new. Great customer service.

Top Bottom