• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    I keep reading that people don't like carrying striker fired guns without manual safeties. Is this due to a light trigger pull than a SA/DA or is there an inherent design issue that makes ND's more likely with a striker fired pistol (say a mechanical failure)?

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I've found that 100% of the time I don't pull the trigger on my striker fired guns, they don't go off :dunno:

I keep reading that people don't like carrying striker fired guns without manual safeties. Is this due to a light trigger pull than a SA/DA or is there an inherent design issue that makes ND's more likely with a striker fired pistol (say a mechanical failure)?

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    People who carried DA/Sa for a living or guns with safety can sometimes, but not always, over rely on the safety feature of a manual safety. Thinking that as long as the safety is on, perhaps it's ok to put finger on trigger earlier. Same with DA/SAs that are without safeties. In fact, it's any gun with safety features. Born from a time and even current standards of training had a lot of people, even "professionals" with their fingers on the trigger.

If you go back in time to SA revolvers. Those do not have a safety to flick on and off and once cocked, all it took was a very light trigger pull. DA was invented to speed up shooting without cocking the gun, not as a safety feature on purpose.

People who thinks striker fire guns are unsafe is because they have never carried nor trained on them. They are no less dangerous than a DA/SA revolver or a DA/SA gun that doesn't have a safety. It's over reliance on "features" instead of your training is what leads to NDs.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I think the issue is more often with reholstering. If you don't ensure that the holster is clear of obstructions bad things can happen when you try to shove it in there.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I've never put stickers on my guns for safety's sake....

I don' mind carrying a striker-fired gun (G19), but I don't like holstering. Where I have a hard time holstering w/o pointing at myself (eg appendix carry), I remove the holster, insert gun, then re-holster. The advantage being that you can ride a safety or hold a hammer down to ensure if the trigger catches on something it can't inadvertently fire, but you can't do that with a sticker [sic] gun.

-rvb

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    I've found that 100% of the time I don't pull the trigger on my striker fired guns, they don't go off :dunno:

I've had the same experience so far and hopefully that doesn't change.

I think the issue is more often with reholstering. If you don't ensure that the holster is clear of obstructions bad things can happen when you try to shove it in there.

I try to talk nice to my holster first and then push my gun in gently.;)

People who carried DA/Sa for a living or guns with safety can sometimes, but not always, over rely on the safety feature of a manual safety. Thinking that as long as the safety is on, perhaps it's ok to put finger on trigger earlier. Same with DA/SAs that are without safeties. In fact, it's any gun with safety features. Born from a time and even current standards of training had a lot of people, even "professionals" with their fingers on the trigger.

If you go back in time to SA revolvers. Those do not have a safety to flick on and off and once cocked, all it took was a very light trigger pull. DA was invented to speed up shooting without cocking the gun, not as a safety feature on purpose.

People who thinks striker fire guns are unsafe is because they have never carried nor trained on them. They are no less dangerous than a DA/SA revolver or a DA/SA gun that doesn't have a safety. It's over reliance on "features" instead of your training is what leads to NDs.

Makes sense.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Lighter trigger and very limited tactile feedback if the holster is obstructed. With an external hammer, thumb over hammer and you can feel it move if something is contacting the trigger.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville

I don' mind carrying a striker-fired gun (G19), but I don't like holstering. Where I have a hard time holstering w/o pointing at myself (eg appendix carry), I remove the holster, insert gun, then re-holster. The advantage being that you can ride a safety or hold a hammer down to ensure if the trigger catches on something it can't inadvertently fire, but you can't do that with a sticker [sic] gun.

-rvb

Lighter trigger and very limited tactile feedback if the holster is obstructed. With an external hammer, thumb over hammer and you can feel it move if something is contacting the trigger.

OK, Now I see why some prefer SA/DA. There's no way it can fire if your thumb won't let the hammer come back.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have own striker fired guns for 20 years and can't tell you how many times I holster and reholster my Glocks, I take my time at put all my attention to what I'm doing. I see people's videos that rehater their guns in a hurry and makes my cringe, this is one process that no matter what gun you use it should be a calculated process (sometimes slower is faster).

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

-rvb

For the Glock users.

https://taudevgroup.myshopify.com/products/striker-control-device

[video=youtube_share;Xvl3ApU-tCM]http://youtu.be/Xvl3ApU-tCM[/video]

Beat me to it. I'd never buy one, but I do appreciate the void it fills. For those who's uniform/ method of dress is fraught with things to snag the trigger, I can see a place for it.

But as I have seen online, many dont. :dunno:

I can think of worse accessories for your pistol.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    When people reholster they need to make sure the holster opening is clear (jacket and shirt ends) and slow down. Unless you're filming a movie and the director insists, there is no point in trying to reholster as fast as you can draw. If you're putting it away, the need for speed is over.

TangoSierraEcho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2016
    Monroe County

I don't believe that a striker fired pistol is any more susceptible to a ND than any other pistol. NDs are a direct result of the operator not the gun.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    When I reholster a Glock, I clear the holster and then put the tip of my trigger finger on the back of the trigger to feel for any movement while reholstering. That works for all but the last quarter inch of holstering, but by then, if there were something snagging the trigger, the drag would have been felt since the front of the trigger is already in the holster.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Everyone is extremely safe when re-holstering...except when they're not.

An ND upon re-holstering has nothing to do with a finger anywhere near the trigger. :ugh:

Top Bottom