• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    This season I have already seen three dogs running through the woods, 2 were chasing deer. So are there any situations where you would shoot a dog while you are hunting? If you were on your own property and you know it doesn't belong to your neighbors? If it is running deer? What if you're on public land and it doesn't have a collar? If it does have a collar but it's acting aggressive? It's tough for me, I'm a real dog lover, but stray dogs don't belong in the woods, and sometimes they can be downright scary.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My uncle used to take care of all the dogs he'd come across while deer hunting...

Sure, it'd ruin his hunting temporarily, but make it better the next day and into the future.

ETA: he hunted private land

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    This season I have already seen three dogs running through the woods, 2 were chasing deer. So are there any situations where you would shoot a dog while you are hunting? If you were on your own property and you know it doesn't belong to your neighbors? If it is running deer? What if you're on public land and it doesn't have a collar? If it does have a collar but it's acting aggressive? It's tough for me, I'm a real dog lover, but stray dogs don't belong in the woods, and sometimes they can be downright scary.

SSS.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    i wont shoot a dog even if they ruin a hunt.....i have a dog and my sister has 2 and we cant keep collars on any of them they all pull them off. They run our family land and im sure they occasionally get on the neighbors land also. I know they have chased deer before. I look at it like they are doing the EXACT same thing you are and theirs is just pure instinct. Most dogs are all show and no fight but if a dog felt like pushing the fight enough i have no problem putting it down either. I just find it kind of amazing that so many people are so quick to shoot an animal just because it could possibly ruin a recreational activity of theirs.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Its a tough call. Ive seen plenty of dogs in the woods while deer hunting. Ive never had to, but I would shoot a dog that acted agressively towards me. However, I do not blame anyone for shooting a dog they do not know on their property. A collar isnt a license to let your dogs run free.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    This is not going to sway anyone on the subject, just thought you might find it interesting.

I have never hunted in IN I have hunted in NC while stationed there several times in the Jacksonville area.

In NC they use dogs to run deer. You never ever shoot a dog in around Jacksonville / Camp Lejuene area hunting. Even though there is a huge pig farm in the area that is plagued with dogs. I hate to say this but military families (at least when I was there) abandon dogs with enough frequency it is not unusual to see packs of former pets now wild dogs. Even still I was warned often by locals that the worst thing you could do was to take a chance that when you shot a dog in the woods that it was not some local's favorite hunting dog. Different place, different time.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Rule on our family farm (and surrounding farms) in Kentucky is if a dog is running deer, shoot it. Hate to kill somebody's pet, but if you can't control it and keep it on your land, well...

That said, I've twice put a dog in the crosshairs, seen a collar with a tag on it, and let the dog walk. One time was a black lab with orange collar, looking just like my dog Jake - right down to the white stripe on his chest. For a split-second I wondered if the damn dog had ridden 90 minutes in the bed of my truck without me knowing...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    under IC 35-46-3-12 it is now a D felony..
    there is a guy in white county who is in jail for shooting dogs that came at him..

:dunno:
    A person who knowingly or intentionally kills a domestic animal without the consent of the owner of the domestic animal commits killing a domestic animal, a Class D felony.
    (e) It is a defense to a prosecution under this section that the accused person:
    (1) reasonably believes the conduct was necessary to:
    (A) prevent injury to the accused person or another person;
    (B) protect the property of the accused person from destruction or substantial damage

vwarren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    greenfield
    I would not kill a dog unless it was trying to attack me. I also think that a dog can help as much as they hurt even more so when the deer are locked down.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    i wont shoot a dog even if they ruin a hunt.....i have a dog and my sister has 2 and we cant keep collars on any of them they all pull them off. They run our family land and im sure they occasionally get on the neighbors land also. I know they have chased deer before. I look at it like they are doing the EXACT same thing you are and theirs is just pure instinct. Most dogs are all show and no fight but if a dog felt like pushing the fight enough i have no problem putting it down either. I just find it kind of amazing that so many people are so quick to shoot an animal just because it could possibly ruin a recreational activity of theirs.[/QUOT

I hope your neighbors don't have any small children or smaller pets or anything.....:rolleyes:

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    i wont shoot a dog even if they ruin a hunt.....i have a dog and my sister has 2 and we cant keep collars on any of them they all pull them off. They run our family land and im sure they occasionally get on the neighbors land also. I know they have chased deer before. I look at it like they are doing the EXACT same thing you are and theirs is just pure instinct. Most dogs are all show and no fight but if a dog felt like pushing the fight enough i have no problem putting it down either. I just find it kind of amazing that so many people are so quick to shoot an animal just because it could possibly ruin a recreational activity of theirs.[/QUOT

I hope your neighbors don't have any small children or smaller pets or anything.....:rolleyes:

they do....and they like my dog and my sisters dogs. And their dogs come over into my yard as well. And guess what....I dont shoot them. Novel concept of NOT killing every living thing that steps on your property because its not doing EXACTLY what you want it to do.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Our dogs pretty much have the run of my family's 200 acres so I am not too quick to shoot a dog for just crossing a property line. That being said, I am fixin to do some dog hunting.
    We let our dogs out Saturday morning around 5. Our big dog was bouncing off the door at 5:15 wanting back in but our Jack Russel was not around. This is not unusual. He often runs back to the woods on little hunting trips so I thought nothing of it. When we left at 10, he was still MIA, unusual, but still not really that worried. When we got home at midnight and still no Jack, I drove around the fields and back to the woods but couldn't find him. Sunday morning when I went out to put wood in the wood burner, I saw him out in our back pasture, he was dead.
    He wasn't torn up that bad, but had 4 punture wounds, two on each side of his neck. The wounds were spaced pretty far apart, not narrow like a coyote, so I'm thinking a pretty big dog. It would have to have been really big, and really mean because I would have bet on Jack to win a fight with any domestic dog, short of a pit-bull, GSD, or something. He only weighed 15 pounds, but I have seen him kill large raccoons, opossums, and groundhogs in seconds.
    My little brother mentioned that someone dumped a deer carcass along one of our fields and that there were several dogs munching on it recently. Might just have to stake it out tonight and see what shows up.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    Our dogs pretty much have the run of my family's 200 acres so I am not too quick to shoot a dog for just crossing a property line. That being said, I am fixin to do some dog hunting.
    We let our dogs out Saturday morning around 5. Our big dog was bouncing off the door at 5:15 wanting back in but our Jack Russel was not around. This is not unusual. He often runs back to the woods on little hunting trips so I thought nothing of it. When we left at 10, he was still MIA, unusual, but still not really that worried. When we got home at midnight and still no Jack, I drove around the fields and back to the woods but couldn't find him. Sunday morning when I went out to put wood in the wood burner, I saw him out in our back pasture, he was dead.
    He wasn't torn up that bad, but had 4 punture wounds, two on each side of his neck. The wounds were spaced pretty far apart, not narrow like a coyote, so I'm thinking a pretty big dog. It would have to have been really big, and really mean because I would have bet on Jack to win a fight with any domestic dog, short of a pit-bull, GSD, or something. He only weighed 15 pounds, but I have seen him kill large raccoons, opossums, and groundhogs in seconds.
    My little brother mentioned that someone dumped a deer carcass along one of our fields and that there were several dogs munching on it recently. Might just have to stake it out tonight and see what shows up.

something like that i completely wouldnt blame you. BUT ....just shooting a dog because it might or even did spook a deer is to me just cruel and selfish. that is as much you having no respect for the person whos dog that could be as them for not keeping the dog on their own land.

Top Bottom