Storing firearms with out of state family?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Looking at career opportunities that would be outside of the US and have a question. We'd most likely sell most things and the few items we would keep would be kept with family however we are not from IN and have no other family here. Firearms are definitely on the keep list but say I brought them to my Dad's who lives in IL, is there anything I need to do from a legal stand point to prove they are mine, not his and I would be collecting them back when we return to US soil? There's other family options in other states but I feel they are best kept with him just since he is familiar with firearms and he may decide to go shoot something once in a while.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Best bet is to check with Il authorities. I would guess that your Dad would need a FOID card. The PRI is, as you know, pretty kooky on possession of firearms.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Oh geez, I hope you guys are not right. You might be though. If you contact the Illinois Rifle Association, they should have a definitive answer.

Here is their website.....

http://www.isra.org/

All the State's Rifle Associations are the local arm of the NRA and they are the ones who fight for your rights on a State and Local level.

Support your State Association. They know their State's laws pertaining to firearms.

In Indiana it is www.ISRPA.org

Last edited:

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah he has a FOID, he's retired LEO. I just didn't know if in a case like this you had to do a transfer of ownership like if a relative passes away from out of state and they will you the gun, I was told you had to go through an FFL. In our case here in IN, no registrations, in the Republik of Illusions, who knows what those bastages are going to do next.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The FOID is a registration of the user, not the firearm. If he is anywhere other than Cook or Lake county, the storage of common arms on his property does not require paperwork. The FFL transfer would only apply if you were making him the owner. The only guy I know that got burned on this is a man who gave his father a shotgun and the father had been arrested for domestic violence. The son who did not know about the arrest was charged with an illegal transfer. Of course the son did give ownership of the shotgun to his father.

The tip to look up the Isra.org is good. Since I have NO intention of ever living in Illinois again, I do not really keep up with their laws.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    If he is retired LEO, he should have his National Carry card under LEOSA. Even Crook County laws can't prevent that. My dad is former LAPD and has it.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    If he is retired LEO, he should have his National Carry card under LEOSA. Even Crook County laws can't prevent that. My dad is former LAPD and has it.
    He does however the Republik of Illusions doesn't quite make it so simple, he still has to go qualify every year. 30 rounds basically all you have to do is hit the broadside of a barn. Ridiculous, yes, but living in IL it's not surprising. My parents actually still reside in Chicago.
    Just find somebody you trust in Indians and get a big safe to lock them up in
    Should we leave for another job I most likely won't return to IN so that won't work. After 38 years (-3 while living in the south) I can no longer say I don't mind the winters. Next place I will live is going to be the one that skips the ****ty seasons :):

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    ". Next place I will live is going to be the one that skips the ****ty seasons :):"

Man after my own heart. I may end up starving to death, but at least I don't want to freeze to death.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Even while not transferring ownership?

If you are moving out of state and taking your guns with you, yes, iirc you will have to FFL your guns to transport them out of state. Doing otherwise may subject you to a felony...

...I could be wrong, IANAL but you better be 150% sure just in case...

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    If you are moving out of state and taking your guns with you, yes, iirc you will have to FFL your guns to transport them out of state. Doing otherwise may subject you to a felony...

Nonsense.

I don't understand this FFL crap at all. If you are legal to own a firearm, you are legal to own a firearm. Why would you feel the need to do a new 4473 when moving out of state?

Since no transfer is taking place, there is no need for a FFL to be involved in this intra-family, temporary, transaction.

Indiana will have no clue that you have removed your firearms and Illinois won't know that your father has your firearms. Nor should they.....

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011

You don't have to go through an FFL if you move

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Since no transfer is taking place, there is no need for a FFL to be involved in this intra-family, temporary, transaction.

You said it -- "transaction".

Like I said the word "possess" can be very tricky legally. You'll have a hard time finding sympathy in Illinois.

The only thing I can think of that might be legal is for the OP to ship them to himself at their address, and then the receipient would not open the boxes. Then when he gets back he can come pick them up and take them to his home, wherever that is.

(a) It shall be unlawful -
    (3)for any person... to... receive in the State where he resides... any firearm purchased or otherwise
    obtained by such person outside that State...

So did the father "receive" the firearms though an interstate transaction? You'll have a hard time convincing the authorities that he didn't.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Kludge....

Do you agree that the 4473 does not transfer any firearm from one person to another?

That it only is a background check on the purchaser?

That the 4473 is a Federal form, not a State of Illinois form?

If you agree with this, then what would be accomplished by a legal owner filling one out, to prove yet again, that it is legal for him to possess a firearm? Or for his father to fill one out to prove, once again, that he can legally possess a firearm?

Maybe this will make my point. If the "authorities" came to your home and pulled a firearm out of your safe, how would they know where this firearm originated? How could they possibly know who the previous owners were or where you obtained it. Why is it any of their business?

The OP says that his father may lawfully possess a firearm. There is no need for an FFL to be involved.. As long as the fiream is not shipped by common carrier anyway. To a stranger.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Kludge....

Do you agree that the 4473 does not transfer any firearm from one person to another?

That it only is a background check on the purchaser?

That the 4473 is a Federal form, not a State of Illinois form?

If you agree with this, then what would be accomplished by a legal owner filling one out, to prove yet again, that it is legal for him to possess a firearm? Or for his father to fill one out to prove, once again, that he can legally possess a firearm?

Maybe this will make my point. If the "authorities" came to your home and pulled a firearm out of your safe, how would they know where this firearm originated? How could they possibly know who the previous owners were or where you obtained it. Why is it any of their business?

The OP says that his father may lawfully possess a firearm. There is no need for an FFL to be involved.. As long as the fiream is not shipped by common carrier anyway. To a stranger.

Firearm Owner's Identification Information

His father will need a FOID to "possess" the firearms, so legality of his firearms are subject to what IL will allow(limited mag capacity, etc.) and sounds to be his guns will have to be registered.

Personally, I would not want my guns registered.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Looking at career opportunities that would be outside of the US and have a question. We'd most likely sell most things and the few items we would keep would be kept with family however we are not from IN and have no other family here. Firearms are definitely on the keep list but say I brought them to my Dad's who lives in IL, is there anything I need to do from a legal stand point to prove they are mine, not his and I would be collecting them back when we return to US soil? There's other family options in other states but I feel they are best kept with him just since he is familiar with firearms and he may decide to go shoot something once in a while.

Let me know if you want to sell any.

Top Bottom