• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BRILEY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Beech Grove
    So I went to have lunch with my wife downtown last week, we decided to eatat PF Chang’s at the Circle Centre Mall. I parked at the mall garage becauseit's the easiest / fastest way to get to PF Chang’s, parked my car and, not wantingto leave my S&W .40 in my car I decided to go ahead and carry it in with me(I was OC with my Blackhawk Serpa holster), I walked in, up the escalators anddown a short walkway to the restaurant, my wife arrived shortly thereafter, we had lunch, spent a little time talking and then parted ways, back to work for both of us. She walked through one of the stores, and I, back down the escalators to the parking garage, after getting back to my car I realized thatI forgot to bring cash so I could pay to get out of the garage (they don’t take cards), so I decided to try to catch my wife to see if she had any cash on her(no cell service in the parking garage plus I assumed that she stopped to shoe shop on her way out), back up the escalators and when I arrived I noticed amall security guard (chubby black guy), he noticed me as well but didn't say anything. I found my wife, thankfully she had cash so I didn't have to find an ATM, got the money and headed back towards the parking garage, as I turn to go down the escalators the mall security guard called for me, I turned around and walked over to him, he asked "are you a police officer?" I said no, he asked "are you undercover?" I said no, I said why are you asking, he said "well, you're not allowed to have that gun in here", I said, are you sure about that? He said "yea, this is a public place, a mall, you can't carry a gun inside a public place, especially a mall", so I begin togo through the normal education process with him, informing him of the Indiana state laws and where it allows me to carry and where not... He called to (on his radio) what I can only assume was "Security Headquarters" and told them, "he said that he IS allowed to carry a gun in the mall" I'm not sure how they responded but he seemed very confused, I asked him if there were "No Firearms" signs posted at every entrance of the mall, he said "no, but they don't have to post signs like that, it's the law that you can't carry in a public place unless you're a cop"...

At this point I was done dealing with this, less than intelligent security guard and ready to get back to work and finish up my day, so I told him look, I think you're wrong but that doesn't really matter, I'm on my way out now, I wasjust grabbing some cash from my wife so I could get out of the parking garage, are we done here? He didn’t respond so I walked away, back to the garagewithout further incident.

My question to you guys is this, did I handle this the best way I could have, should I have done anything differently? Thanks in advance guys!!

BRILEY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Sorry, I'm not sure what happened there, I made the changes and added the spaces where needed. It seems to be okay now, let me know if you're seeing it differently...

BRILEY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Beech Grove
    As far as I know, and I have a friend that's a manager at a store in the Greenwood Mall (also a Simon Property Mall), he said I was fine carrying in there, and I've never had a problem in the past.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Space bar is your friend. Too hard for me to read past first three lines.

He typed into MS Word first and copy/past... MS word doe's not reformat very well in this fourm...

And yes OP.. I think you did OK... More info than what I would have gave, but you keep your cool..

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Legally, the state of IN doesn't care. Now, the mall property may not want guns on the premesis, but that's their call not the law's. I usually CC at the malls in Fort Wayne.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    Two thoughts for you.

1. There is no excuse for open carry in a mall. None.

2. Circle Center recently installed a credit card reader in one exit lane of all garages. In the one attached to the Convention Center, it's the one on the far right to exit onto Georgia St.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I know at the main entrances of the Muncie mall there are "no weapons" signs posted. If you enter through an entrance to a store, you won't see any signs.

Your friend probably enters through the stores entrance that he is the manager of so he doesn't see them. Regardless, if there is a sign posted or not, they can ask you to leave. Simon malls are privately owned and if you refuse to leave you can and most likely will be charged with trespassing.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    The Security Guard was openly carrying. :rolleyes:

Ted, your posts in the various forums are consistently non-productive. While there may be a handful who come here to read such contrarian nonsense, I assure you the majority do not. Maybe you could find something else with which to occupy your time?

Simon Mall security officers are not armed. Even if they were, they would be so with the approval of the property owner. We want LEO's, and properly trained security, to carry openly in shopping malls. There is a reason for them to do so. We don't want civilians doing so. Learn the difference, Ted. At any given time, there are likely 100 or more civilians carrying concealed in Circle Center Mall and that's exactly how we want it.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Two thoughts for you.

Blah, blah, blah...

Just more idiotic elitist drivel. I'm just glad that not everyone shares in your OPINION.

:rolleyes:

EDIT: You posted as I was typing... just confirming my previous statement. Hello Pot, may I introduce you to Kettle...

Ted, your posts in the various forums are consistently non-productive. While there may be a handful who come here to read such contrarian nonsense, I assure you the majority do not. Maybe you could find something else with which to occupy your time?
    We want LEO's, and properly trained security, to carry openly in shopping malls. There is a reason for them to do so. We don't want civilians doing so. Learn the difference, Ted. At any given time, there are likely 100 or more civilians carrying concealed in Circle Center Mall and that's exactly how we want it.

Who is this "WE"? Oh yeah, the other elitist jackwagons who want you to do it THEIR way..

Last edited:

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    In Indiana your LTCH allows you to carry concealed if jerks gives you a hard time for OCing. Pick your battles and pick your batlegrounds.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Two thoughts for you.

2. Circle Center recently installed a credit card reader in one exit lane of all garages. In the one attached to the Convention Center, it's the one on the far right to exit onto Georgia St.

I carry CC at mall and everywhere else but I take exception with your statement. If someone wants to carry openly at a mall there is no reason they can't short of being asked to leave by the owners. So, quite frankly, they don't need an excuse--they have a constitutional right!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    95% of the time, I CC so as to avoid these types of situations...however, in the few times I've OC'd...I've gotten some 'looks' from people, but no confrontations. However, I've given it some thought and would respond that they should show me in writing where the state (or their business policy states in writing...and which they need to have it posted publically) that I need to CC rather than OC on their premises. Put the burden of proof on them...not their words! If they have it in writing, comply, but they have to prove their theory...until then, continue forward!

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...

Simon Mall security officers are not armed. Even if they were, they would be so with the approval of the property owner. We want LEO's, and properly trained security, to carry openly in shopping malls. There is a reason for them to do so. We don't want civilians doing so. Learn the difference, Ted. At any given time, there are likely 100 or more civilians carrying concealed in Circle Center Mall and that's exactly how we want it.

Please everyone, don't feed the troll. We should be used to it by now.

OP, ya did good. However I am surprised they let you continue carrying. Simon malls are quite anti-gun and should be avoided.

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    Two thoughts for you.

Other than the every reason that's been posted on the pro-oc threads? Sure, Simon properties have arbitrarily decided that they're special; a bastion of safety and honorable conduct where there's no need for a citizen to be armed :rolleyes:, but saying there's "no excuse" for open carry, no matter the location, betrays your open distain and disrespect for your brothers and sisters who choose that mode of carry.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Please everyone, don't feed the troll. We should be used to it by now.

OP, ya did good. However I am surprised they let you continue carrying. Simon malls are quite anti-gun and should be avoided.

I think we should open carry in bright orange and green day-glow holsters and do a little dance in their food courts just to show them we can! :laugh:

Top Bottom