• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Bloomers' point is theoretically that states with "weak gun laws" :rolleyes: are the cause of more crime in states with "strong (read: oppressive) gun laws"; in other words, the criminal is going to a place he can more easily buy a gun, but rather than use it there, he's bringing it to a place where there is a greater demand for it and selling it at a greater profit.... In other words, capitalism/supply and demand.What Bloomers is saying is that he is against capitalism, that he's against guns, that he's against freedom.

One further point: If the criminals are coming to states with "weak gun laws"... why aren't they using the guns they obtain there in those states? Could it be because they know that people who obey the law are also likely armed and will effing SHOOT them? So if NY and other "strong gun law" states want to decrease crime, they need to loosen their laws and educate their populations that they have a right and a duty to defend themselves.

I'll be very interested to see what happens to crime rates in Arizona this coming year, since they went to Constitutional Carry.

Blessings,
    Bill

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    This report was discussed in an earlier thread. If you track down and read the actual study they used a technique called adjusting for population to manipulate the data. Essentially they move California out of the top ten by showing guns per capita instead just the number of guns that come from out of state. without that little adjustment the relationship between gun laws and exportation of firearms dissappears.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I wonder how many of the Guns Bloomburg is talking about are single sourced from a store in the north west side of Indianapolis???? ;)

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    What makes a firearm illegal? I am not referring to Class 3 weaponry. I mean does the firearm have to be used during the commission of a crime? Used in a murder? And if a weapon is used during a crime at what point will that firearm no longer be "illegal"? Lets say that my home is broken into and they find a pistol and steal said pistol. I report the firearm as stolen, at that point can I assume it is a "illegal firearm" and if that firearm is found 1 month, 6 months, 10 years later, however long, and returned to me will the firearm no longer be considered an illegal firearm? Lets say a pistol is stolen, reported to the police, said pistol is used to murder someone. Will upon recovery of the pistol will it no longer be an 'illegal firearm"? I am just trying ti figure out how a firearm is considered illegal.

INGunGuy

Redemption

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Someone asked above. What makes a gun turn bad? Homelife, wrong crowd, bad friends? Can they be rehabilitated?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    If these other states are so well informed on how many illegal weapons they have and where they come from, I don't understand why they don't just go arrest their criminals in their states?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Bloomers' point is theoretically that states with "weak gun laws" :rolleyes: are the cause of more crime in states with "strong (read: oppressive) gun laws"; in other words, the criminal is going to a place he can more easily buy a gun, but rather than use it there, he's bringing it to a place where there is a greater demand for it and selling it at a greater profit.... In other words, capitalism/supply and demand.What Bloomers is saying is that he is against capitalism, that he's against guns, that he's against freedom.

One further point: If the criminals are coming to states with "weak gun laws"... why aren't they using the guns they obtain there in those states? Could it be because they know that people who obey the law are also likely armed and will effing SHOOT them? So if NY and other "strong gun law" states want to decrease crime, they need to loosen their laws and educate their populations that they have a right and a duty to defend themselves.

I'll be very interested to see what happens to crime rates in Arizona this coming year, since they went to Constitutional Carry.

Blessings,
    Bill

:laugh: I think that may be the first time I've seen you "cuss" in a thread. But you bring up a good point. The lack of discussion the illogical aspect of traveling out of state to purchase a firearm legally only to return to one's home state to do illegal activities with it gives one pause as to the real intent of the study/authors.

Last edited:

dhdoug

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    hancock county
    good topic. on lighter side....maybe some of you with skillz on the computer could do something along the lines of "WHEN GOOD GUNS GO BAD" prolly more of a utube thing. there is a post in class three featuring indymonkey that i call "when good men do bad". those with weak stomachs beware. threadjack=sorry

Last edited:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I wish those states with anti-Constitutional laws, which breed and ecourage criminal activity, would stop exporting their crime and criminals to other states. Those gangsters and druggies migrate from the victim creation zones to other states, thinking the pickings will be as ripe, and cause all manner of heartache until an armed citizen kills them.

We should start suing states when a criminal is discovered to have moved here from there, and require them to put up fences and immigration control until they choose to be governed by Constitutional law.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    What makes a firearm illegal? I am not referring to Class 3 weaponry. I mean does the firearm have to be used during the commission of a crime? Used in a murder? And if a weapon is used during a crime at what point will that firearm no longer be "illegal"? Lets say that my home is broken into and they find a pistol and steal said pistol. I report the firearm as stolen, at that point can I assume it is a "illegal firearm" and if that firearm is found 1 month, 6 months, 10 years later, however long, and returned to me will the firearm no longer be considered an illegal firearm? Lets say a pistol is stolen, reported to the police, said pistol is used to murder someone. Will upon recovery of the pistol will it no longer be an 'illegal firearm"? I am just trying ti figure out how a firearm is considered illegal.

INGunGuy

This term has always bothered me, too. This is kinda off topic, but I hear butt-kissing politicians try to appease gun owners by saying they will only go after illegal weapons. The same politicians are the ones who have the power to pass laws making certain weapons "illegal". Otherwise, it's a completely BS description.

bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    ....One further point: If the criminals are coming to states with "weak gun laws"... why aren't they using the guns they obtain there in those states? Could it be because they know that people who obey the law are also likely armed and will effing SHOOT them? So if NY and other "strong gun law" states want to decrease crime, they need to loosen their laws and educate their populations that they have a right and a duty to defend themselves...

Exactly! This same principal holds true on a smaller scale close to home in Chicago. Tighten the laws and crime goes up. It's fact.

I cannot get my head around where people like this come from. They appear to have no concept of "an armed society is a polite society". I doubt that is truly the case in most instances. I've often thought a lot of it was a ploy of the "professional politician". Those who are more concerned about staying in office and holding position than representation of the people. Their perceived facts simply do not hold water IMO.

Do they honestly believe that if ALL states supported the same restrictive laws as NY that the overall crime in our nation would be substantially reduced? That's nonsense! Criminals would still get all the firearms they need through other avenues. The only reason this is brought forth in Bloomberg's report is because it is currently one of the paths of least resistance for criminals and perceived low hanging fruit for "Mayors Against Illegal Guns".

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    :laugh: I think that may be the first time I've seen you "cuss" in a thread. But you bring up a good point. The lack of discussion the illogical aspect of traveling out of state to purchase a firearm legally only to return to one's home state to do illegal activities with it gives one pause as to the real intent of the study/authors.

Heh... I re-write lots of posts before they show up.. Some never do because I just can't find an acceptable way to say what I want to. Every once in a while, they need an adjective and "effing" is the closest one to use. :):

The other side of the point (as opposed to a Chicago criminal buying guns in Indy to take back) is that a criminal from Indy (for example) might buy a bunch of guns from a buddy (who probably stole them) and transport them up to Chicago to sell to the first and/or highest bidder. Why not use them right there in Indy? Of course.. even criminals are smart enough to not want their chests and/or skulls air-conditioned, and that's much easier to avoid when no one who obeys the law can shoot back.

anim-Mayors-Against-Illegal-Guns_A-Sly-Nuts-Managerial-Gig-SOL-hEWp.gif

(Thanks to the Internet Anagram Server for the above image)

Blessings,
    Bill

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Exactly! This same principal holds true on a smaller scale close to home in Chicago. Tighten the laws and crime goes up. It's fact.

I cannot get my head around where people like this come from. They appear to have no concept of "an armed society is a polite society". I doubt that is truly the case in most instances. I've often thought a lot of it was a ploy of the "professional politician". Those who are more concerned about staying in office and holding position than representation of the people. Their perceived facts simply do not hold water IMO.

Do they honestly believe that if ALL states supported the same restrictive laws as NY that the overall crime in our nation would be substantially reduced? That's nonsense! Criminals would still get all the firearms they need through other avenues. The only reason this is brought forth in Bloomberg's report is because it is currently one of the paths of least resistance for criminals and perceived low hanging fruit for "Mayors Against Illegal Guns".

If you don't grow up in a culture where firearms are present, you often don't perceive a "need" for one. The nature of living in a "big city" like Indy or Chicago is that, unless you live in a crime-ridden area, you are unlikely to experience a violent crime. Growing up in the Chicago suburbs, we never had guns in our house and almost no one I knew in my neighborhood owned one. Several black kids on my high school wrestling team, who lived in areas a little closer to Chicago proper, felt like they needed guns (they brought them to school and hid them in their lockers); that was their culture.

Earlier in the year I talked to one of my wife's cousins, who has lived in the Chicago suburbs all his life. Even with all the gang shootings publicized there in recent years, he felt that nobody should have to have a firearm to protect themselves. Their culture just doesn't predispose them to see the need for self-defense.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    If you don't grow up in a culture where firearms are present, you often don't perceive a "need" for one. The nature of living in a "big city" like Indy or Chicago is that, unless you live in a crime-ridden area, you are unlikely to experience a violent crime. Growing up in the Chicago suburbs, we never had guns in our house and almost no one I knew in my neighborhood owned one. Several black kids on my high school wrestling team, who lived in areas a little closer to Chicago proper, felt like they needed guns (they brought them to school and hid them in their lockers); that was their culture.

Earlier in the year I talked to one of my wife's cousins, who has lived in the Chicago suburbs all his life. Even with all the gang shootings publicized there in recent years, he felt that nobody should have to have a firearm to protect themselves. Their culture just doesn't predispose them to see the need for self-defense.

:sheep::koolaid::sheep::koolaid::sheep::koolaid::sheep::koolaid::sheep::koolaid::sheep::koolaid:

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Bloomberg is a d***face. Rather than admitting their gun laws don't work they want to blame states that recognize the 2nd Amendment.

So what's the point of this Bloomberg? Are you trying to interfere with the laws in those free states you chastise? Hey Bloomberg keep your nose in that cesspool of city that you run and stay out of our business.

WillBrayJr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Auburn, IN
    I've said it once and I'll say it again. The reason for the crime in this Country or others is people not being raised like they used too be. Decades ago parents were much more responsible than they are today.

Anything can be used as a weapon. Hell you can make a homemade Slapjack out of a sock and several rolls of coins.

Top Bottom