• misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Does the police have any leads?

I'm sorry - I had to!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBcNpXmr-Ps"]YouTube - I'll just check with the boys down at the crime lab[/ame]

In all seriousness, good luck getting them back hope they catch those punks.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Gun Sales

This site is a gun auction site for pawn shops. Might check it once in awhile. Good luck. My dad had some guns stolen a few years ago. I still check around at the gun shows for one of them.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    Man, I hate hearing about something like this happening. Breaking and entering a private residence is right up there with rape in my book..I really think the penalties ought to be similar.I've had it happen to me, and I felt uneasy in my own home for a long while afterwards. I hope you get your guns back, but at the very least I hope they catch the bastards.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    Sorry to hear that. I got broke into back in October and had 12 guns taken. I got 7 back within a few weeks. In all honesty, the police were of ZERO help. I got some of mine back because of a flier that I made. I made over 100 of them. They were posted everywhere from Indy to south of Bedford. A guy had "bought" the 7 from a "stranger" who just happened to walk into his shop. He saw the flier at Papas in Bedford and notified the detective. Goofy part is, the guy can't remember who he bought them from, didn't get a name, nor could he remember what he looked like. :rolleyes: Amnesia runs bad in Bedford I guess. Whats worse, the police didn't put any pressure on him to cough up the information. :xmad: Anyhoo, put out some fliers. Good luck.

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss (and their gain). I hope they will all come back clean and safe. It has to feel bad to get broken into. They know you have guns so they might not be back, in fear for their lives. The worst part is that they know what to get if they have more time. Dogs can help but good neighbors are there as well. I have been looking into a safe for some time. This might have put me over the edge. Nothing makes me sicker than thinking about the idea of someone taking one of my guns and committing a crime with them. Sorry to hear about the shop "forgetting" who they bought them from. They will never have any of my money and I hope the rest of you follow suit. We can't support people who "forget" so easy.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    No offense to any LEO's on this site, but I don't and wouldn't have much faith in IMPD doing much about your stolen property... or even being real concerned with it being recovered. Seems like these days victims have no rights and the criminals have all the rights.

I am in LE. "Seems like" is the wrong phrase, victims do have no rights and criminals have all sorts of protection..for the most part. The fact is, if you don't have your serial numbers, there is no way you are going to get your guns back. Secondly, if you live in a major metro area, there are so many cases, sometimes your info gets lost in the stacks and stacks of paperwork, and your guns never get entered into NCIC. Actually, IMPD just recovered a gun reported stolen to our department back in 1989!! We have guns still in the system from the 70s, but it only works if you have the serial number.

Anyways, this is what we get when we spend a billion dollars on "FUTBAW!!" stadiums instead of a massive jail where people can actually sit in jail, get a decent bail amount, and do actual time if found guilty.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    I am in LE. "Seems like" is the wrong phrase, victims do have no rights and criminals have all sorts of protection..for the most part. The fact is, if you don't have your serial numbers, there is no way you are going to get your guns back. Secondly, if you live in a major metro area, there are so many cases, sometimes your info gets lost in the stacks and stacks of paperwork, and your guns never get entered into NCIC. Actually, IMPD just recovered a gun reported stolen to our department back in 1989!! We have guns still in the system from the 70s, but it only works if you have the serial number.

Anyways, this is what we get when we spend a billion dollars on "FUTBAW!!" stadiums instead of a massive jail where people can actually sit in jail, get a decent bail amount, and do actual time if found guilty.

He's right. You're screwed without the serial numbers. Thats the first thing they asked me. I had serial numbers as well as photos.

I'm still missing:

Sig Sauer P6 S/N: M517145
    Colt Mustang S/N" MU16719
    M1 Garrand S/N: 3127259
    Colt AR-15 S/N: BK008529
    Kimber Pro Carry II S/N: KR53081

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Whats worse, the police didn't put any pressure on him to cough up the information. :xmad:

What do you expect the cops to do? All they can do is ask the guy and when he gives his statement, thats it. Police can't constantly go back, interferring with the guy's life. The only thing they _could_ have done was charge him with rec'v stolen property. In that case, maybe they wanted to but the prosecutor didn't. I just don't like it when people bash the cops for 'no doing their job' when they have no idea what the job is or if it was even done.

This should be a lesson for all. Just because you heard, discovered, found, etc. doesn't mean the cops can just make it right. Not only that, police can only do so much, then it goes to the prosecutor. Your best bet is to secure your weapons as best as possible. This includes alarm systems connected via land line _and_ cell phone. It should also include a system connected to the internet that will call your cell phone or you can log on and look at video feed from your home. Safes are a must, also hidden safes are even better. The best thing to do is not blab on just how much you have, even on this message board and especially in real life. Thefts are getting really bad. The current moral decline of our society doesn't help either.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I think he made it pretty clear what he expected the cops to do. He expected them to put some pressure on him and insist he explain how he is in possession of stolen goods.

You ask a guy once, and when he says "I dunno" you let him go? I am not suggesting you break his thumbs or something, but it's insulting to everybody involved when you accept a bold-faced lie like that.

GGoble

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Sorry for your loss, there are a couple of upcoming gun shows this month, Richmond this weekend, and the Indy1500 at the end of month, it might pay to post a flyer at these shows.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    I'm sorry for your loss, I hope you are able to find some closure to this situation. In relation to your first post you said something about the fingerprints. I am taking a class with my local PD every Tuesday night. Last night (5/12/09) the detective and evidence bureaus had segments they talked about. They said that finger prints can take a few months to get the results back. So don't get discouraged if they don't get any verbal leads it might be a while till things start to take off. Good luck getting your possessions back!

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I think he made it pretty clear what he expected the cops to do. He expected them to put some pressure on him and insist he explain how he is in possession of stolen goods.

Put pressure on him how? Threatening someone with an arrest if they don't talk is very iffy. The problem is the right to self-incrimination. The facts are, he possessed stolen property, which is a crime. But there has to be knowledge of the property being stolen. If there is a good likelihood he didn't know they were stolen, then he has done nothing wrong. While you could try and use something like assisting a criminal to get him to talk, again we go back to the right to self-incrimination as well as the fact that just because the story sounds fishy, that just isn't enough. If he constantly gives the same silly story, there is nothing more the cops can do. If the cops are not giving you satisfaction, then the owner needs to go and start pounding on the prosecutor's door. There may be more going on than just this incident (ie: They are trying to nail him for other things and don't want to give him blanket immunity just yet). If the prosecutor is calling the shots, it is likely the detective won't give this info up to the victim. That is why I would sit down, write up what I want done, and request a meeting with the prosecutor on why this guy isn't charged with poss. of stolen property.

You ask a guy once, and when he says "I dunno" you let him go? I am not suggesting you break his thumbs or something, but it's insulting to everybody involved when you accept a bold-faced lie like that.

There is nothing else one can do. They guy came forward on his own, so that is likely what has shot down charging him with poss. of the stolen property. He likely has been given instructions to say nothing to the cops, and my guess is that he is doing just that. One usually can't lie in an investigation nor can they assist a criminal (this isn't 100%), but if he gave a statement, however silly or half-truth it was, that is likely all he wanted to say. To me, the best way to get him to talk would be to charge him with the poss. and try to paint the motive that he either stolen them, or was in on it, and got scared when the owner put flyers up all over S. Indiana. However, the prosecutor has to look at the entire case. Do they have a case or not? If you look to be charging an honest person, what does that tell others who find out they own stolen property? Better to just bury it or throw it in a river instead of turning it back to the owner?

In the end, it would be nice for the original poster to post _exactly_ what the cops have or haven't done. To just write how the cops are even "worse" than the guy who had his stolen guns, that just rubbed me the wrong way. If the original poster feels so strongly the guy knows more than he is saying, filed the civil suit to get the money from him. If his story is that silly, most civil court judges might not like that.

Top Bottom