• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I've lost quite a bit, I'm thinking of hedging against further loss by buying up a small warehouse of single malt scotch in barrels with what's left. After the crash, I can get rip-roaring drunk, and barter for everything else.
    Yup. If you can’t hold it in your hand, it doesn’t really have value. Even then, paper fiat is just about done and is basically worth about a nickel of buying power from what it once was.

1s and 0s on a computer screen don’t do it for me. I prefer precious metals like lead and brass, and commodities like beans, booze and bandaids.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Here is a chart of PE for you. Why is it important? Because during the inflation of the 1970s PE fell to 6.63.
    We are currently at 20.83 for average PE(down from 36.86 in January of 2021). A smoothed average of the last 90 years puts average PE at 14.06.

Now with inflation eating into the earnings part for pretty much everything,where do you think current PE stands to wind up?

My opinion around 10-12. In other words I think we are just over half way down.

Side note our GDP to Earnings is 160.3 today(5/20/2022). Still well over the average from 1980-2022 by around 100(ie average GDP to earnings is in the 60s range).

If the US dollar was not stronger because of the Euro,Yen,and Yuan degradation I think we would have not even hit the halfway point in the downturn(we entered bear market territory 5/20/2022). Yes,this is my realistic take,not my pessimistic or optimistic one.

Not advising anything,just pointing out some numbers for context.

Dow is down 8 straight weeks, its longest losing-streak since May 1923.
    How large was the derivatives market back then...? Oh.

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    We may rally a tiny bit this week(markets). Do not fall for it.
    The FED has not even started reducing their 9+ trillion balance sheet but has made it public they will start on June 1,2022.

I say this based on the Dollar getting weaker in early Asian trading,if it goes up the "rally" will likely never happen.

When the fed starts reducing their balance sheet that is when the PPT and the FED will be reading from a different playbook and reality may start to appear(of how screwed we are).

They are planning 95 billion per month in balance sheet reductions,or double what they did when they reduced it last time in 2017 (that built from 2008-2017)after QE 1-3.

Last edited:

mechmc17

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Zionsville
    We may rally a tiny bit this week(markets). Do not fall for it.
    The FED has not even started reducing their 9+ trillion balance sheet but has made it public they will start on June 1,2022.

I say this based on the Dollar getting weaker in early Asian trading,if it goes up the "rally" will likely never happen.

When the fed starts reducing their balance sheet that is when the PPT and the FED will be reading from a different playbook and reality may start to appear(of how screwed we are).

They are planning 95 billion per month in balance sheet reductions,or double what they did when they reduced it last time in 2017 (that built from 2008-2017)after QE 1-3.
    Most people don’t even know about the PPT (plunge protection team). If Fed tightening policy stops PPT from going into action, I expect major losses in market value because the backstop will be gone.

Q1 GPD dropped by 1.4%. If the Q2 number is negative, then by definition we will have been in recession since Q1. In that scenario, the “R” word officially being used, while at the same time we have had a few months of the Fed tightening by $95 billion a month while hiking rates 50 basis points in June and July, I think we could easily see S&P 500 at 2800 or below. If PPT is sidelined also, maybe more.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Wonder why I called the rally correctly last week?
    US dollar index 5/20/2022-5/28/2022
    The US dollar index has gone from 104.88 down to 101.65.

Price something in dollars(stocks,oil,bread ect) and when it loses value the price appears to go up.
    It is not really worth more though.

Next week. Well, the fed cutting their balance sheet starts,but we will see. I suspect a downturn even possibly a gigantic one. Earnings are terrible for the most part. Our last two quarters in imports were new records,exports held a bit but only in commodities(oil and food).
    I saw articles claiming "retail" investors caused the daily ramps into the last half hour all week,no that was the PPT and is the same thing they have done over and over since 2009. No one is sure what they will be able to do when the FED reduces their balance sheet.

I think the other shoe drops soon.

I said it in 2012 on INGO. No economy can survive when it is based on "services". You have to grow,mine,create,and build. Our big pharma/tech boom has led the rally on the Nasdaq(for 2+years),but oil(energy) and food has led the Dow and S&P(this year).

Watching emerging markets and their currencies,the Fed,yields,and US dollar index.

Dropping my TIPS US treasuries next week(at a tidy profit),because I no longer see the value of paper(I have suggested them as a way to protect wealth for a long time). At this point if I can not hold it I do not value it.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    The Euro tanked yesterday because nearly every country in it posted record inflation. Germany has inflation running higher than it has since the end of WW2.
    We look like the best horse in the glue factory so the dollar is rising,and stocks are down.

I am just waiting for when the market realizes what the FED shedding 95billion a month and no longer buying MBS is going to do to margins and liquidity(liquidity is all but nonexistent already).

Of course today you had the only dove at the fed walk back the idea of a September pause in rate hikes and now it is looking more like .5 increases not the announced .25.
    We will see.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I think today was the answer to how much the PPT can do against the FED.
    How did that saying go,"Never fight the FED"
    Sorry for those who are seeing huge losses. Hopefully many of you saw the warning about the free to trade brokers getting destroyed by the SEC before the end of the year. I am glad to have gotten all my funds into my own accounts,no way I would trust it in theirs(I am sure individual traders will be very low in the bankruptcy payment line).

Just remember where you are on the totem pole.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    The stock markets just snapped. By that I mean they are not functioning.
    The list of trading stops is higher than it was in 2008(rules put in place for how much a stock could go down are the reason).

They likely will keep hitting breakers on the way down most of the day,if they do not stop trading all together again,so far it has only been individual stocks not the entire market like 2020. It does seem contained to less than 3% down at the moment(you can likely thank the PPT).

The USD index is incredible. By that I mean it is much higher(2002 levels). Look at the chart.
    That is very bad for exports,which at this point may be a good thing for the US(less can afford our oil and food being exported at record amounts). It is terrible for stocks and anyone wanting to buy those.

Treasuries are moving as well,but in odd ways. The 2 year is almost the same as the 10 for yield. I do not think that has happened since the 1970s 2 year is currently 2.96% with the 10 year at 3.12,and things are breaking.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Need more of those Joe, I did that, stickers for Wall Street. They look good on the gas pumps, now they can go on your 401K statement.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    So much for peak inflation.
    "total US debt is at $90 trillion(including states) which together with $169 trillion in US unfunded liabilities totals $259 trillion, which is $778,000 per US citizen or $2,067,000 per US Taxpayer.
    *This was in 2021,things have improved for many states,mostly do to higher tax revenue(Gas/diesel).

Now, the value of all US assets combined: every piece of land, real estate, all savings, all companies, everything that all citizens, businesses, entities and the state own is worth $193 trillion.

Our total debt, $259 trillion minus our total net worth, $193 trillion equals negative $66 trillion of debt and liabilities after every asset in the US has been sold off."

In other words we are not even close.P/E is still almost double the average,and more than 4 times what it was during the inflation of the 1970s. Yet,our government still spends and gives away huge amounts of cash all over the world.

m1.jpg

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Yeah, gonna get bumpy. One more pump.......to 415-420 on SPY, maybe.......then the generational waterfall begins. SPY will see 320-340 area before Christmas, I am afraid.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom