• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EbolaZaire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    Greetings,

I just got out of basic training for the National Guard not too long ago, shortly after finishing basic I had the itch to purchase a firearm. Long story short, I picked up a DPMS ar15.

Not having a lot of experience with ar's, I happily made the purchase and was on my way.
    I haven't fired it yet but after cleaning and lubing for the first time, I note that the charging lever, bolt, and even the retaining pins are all very snug.

It will charge, it will dry fire, passes a functions check and all...

Are they snug because it's new and hasn't worn down from a little bit of use? Or are they snug because it was poorly made?

Thank you for your time,
    Mike

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    Greetings,

I just got out of basic training for the National Guard not too long ago, shortly after finishing basic I had the itch to purchase a firearm. Long story short, I picked up a DPMS ar15.

Not having a lot of experience with ar's, I happily made the purchase and was on my way.
    I haven't fired it yet but after cleaning and lubing for the first time, I note that the charging lever, bolt, and even the retaining pins are all very snug.

Are they snug because it's new and hasn't worn down from a little bit of use? Or are they snug because it was poorly made?

Thank you for your time,
    Mike

First off....congrats on basic and welcome to the forum. You have more AR experience than most if you just finished basic unless things have changed since I was in?

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Greetings,

Thank you for your time,
    Mike

Yes, Congrats on your graduation and Thanks for your service.

I think your problem really isn't a problem. The rifles you were issued in training have seen countless hands, countless rounds, and countless cleanings, so I think you've hit the nail on the head, You're DPMS is new and will break in as it see's some range time.
    Heck, the M16A1 that I used in basic during the early 80's was stamped Mattel and had probably seen service in Vietnam. The take down pins would fall if you turned it sideways and gave the lower a sharp rap with the back of your hand. :):

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    None of my ARs have been that tight. Check to see if the bolt moves tight in the carrier. If so, that's no big deal. Squirt some oil on the gas rings and shoot it.

Top Bottom