• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdg0724

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Plainfield
    I am interested in getting into the steel plate shooting. I see where you have to have at least 5 magazines to participate in this. i understand that. My question is whether a Kimber Ultra Carry II would be adequate to shoot in this event. The main reason is that the magazine only holds 7 rounds. If this would work, how many mags should I bring to the event. Any guidance would be helpful. What is the maximum range the targets would be? The gun only has a 3" barrel, but it has a match grade barrel and is quite accurate at closer ranges. I have not tested it at any extreme distances.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I am interested in getting into the steel plate shooting. I see where you have to have at least 5 magazines to participate in this. i understand that. My question is whether a Kimber Ultra Carry II would be adequate to shoot in this event. The main reason is that the magazine only holds 7 rounds. If this would work, how many mags should I bring to the event. Any guidance would be helpful. What is the maximum range the targets would be? The gun only has a 3" barrel, but it has a match grade barrel and is quite accurate at closer ranges. I have not tested it at any extreme distances.

A string of fire in a Steel Challenge shoot is never larger than five. So if your marksmanship is good then a seven round magazine will be fine. I would bring at least five and maybe six. Steel matches at ACC never get extreme because the bays are all 25 yards. So longer shots are possible in the one back bay.

Some official steel challenge courses of fire require 35-40 yards shots. Small guns are not prohibited but may not be best. Your ability is most important, and that will develop with some practice. Just be safe and these matches are very forgiving.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I'm really looking forward to giving it a go this Friday. I have a S&W 4006 I'm reasonably competent with, and another new acquisition that I honestly don't know whether I can hit the broad side of a barn with.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I'm really looking forward to giving it a go this Friday. I have a S&W 4006 I'm reasonably competent with, and another new acquisition that I honestly don't know whether I can hit the broad side of a barn with.

Try out some steel at Atlanta and Riley as well.

G7.

SteelShooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    WYOMING; SOMEDAY...
    For practice, or to verify the sights on a gun, make sure you can hit a paper plate at 20 to 25 yards most of the time. I do OK with a Glock 26, but as Coach said -- it's not the best choice. I use it for the challenge.

At ACC for the SCSA matches I have targets set up between 10 and 25 yards. In order to duplicate the SCSA stages with 35 yard targets, I use 2/3 scale plates at 2/3 the distance. For Outer Limits, eg., I use 12" x 16" rectangles at 23 yards + 1 foot to replicate the 18x24's at 35 yards.

The next Steel Match at ACC is 19 June . Registration 0900 to 0945.

Top Bottom