• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Is there any reason not to use it? 9 mm if it makes a difference. I hear lots of conflicting things.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    If you have 9mm steel core, sell it. It's impossible to find, and illegal to make. pretty valuable stuff. I don't see why you couldn't shoot it. Just don't do it at an indoor pistol range.

draftyranger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Shelbyville IN
    I have shot steel cased 9, 40, and 45 for years. I havn't had any issues what so ever. No extractors breaking, no jams, nothing. But all the steel case ammo I shoot has the poly coated case. The guy on the Military Arms Channel shoots it all the time with no problem! If its good enough for him, its good enough for me! :)

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    It's terrible stuff, don't use it.

And as long as everyone thinks it's inferior and refuses to buy it, it keeps the price down for those of us who have no problem using it.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I don't use it in handguns - but only because we reload and steel is a bear to reload - and I have heard destroys dies, plus almost all is berdan primed. I have used a lot of it in rifles when the ammo is available cheaper than the cost of reloading. I would shoot it without any worry. The only problems I could foresee is that it may not cycle or eject as well. If your chamber is "tight" and it does stick - sell it - but don't expect to get high prices.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    I think its more of a personal preference. I shoot soem steel cased stuff and never had a problem with it, but ow i reload so its always brass. Also has to do withe the gun. Ive shot shot steel cased out of my taurus 92 and glock19, no issues. But when i tried to use steel cased in my jericho 941 .45, it would not cycle correctly.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Steel cased, eh? Yeah, that's fine. You said steel core and I got all excited.

No problem with steel case. I shot it in my SIG, and all my Glocks. Nothing to worry about.

Rob54

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Merrillville, Indiana
    I placed an order a while back for some Russian steel cased ammo in both .45 and .357. I couldn't believe the price! No regrets. I have shot at least 50 rounds of each and have had no problems!

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I fired one box of Tulammo (zinc coated steel) in two pistols on one range trip, and both guns (m&p9 and PX4) failed to lock the slide back on empty. This had never happened before. So I switched to brass, and the problem persisted. I can only assume the Tulammo messed up those magazines somehow. The other mags are fine.

I refuse to shoot any more steel, it just isn't worth the risk of hardware failure IMO.

Rob54

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Merrillville, Indiana
    My thoughts are: I would rather use factory new ammo than some production reloads that I pick up at a gun show. For the price, I never experienced a problem and I don't worry about collecting my used brass either.

I checked the latest prices. Out of stock for all of the cheap stuff. What they did have was considerably more than I paid in the past. So...probably another bargain dried up by the threats of new laws.

Top Bottom