• ...and so much more!
  • AppliedB

Marksman
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    With our first Steel Challenge match coming up on April 18th I'd like to get some feedback from shooters regarding round count. Sourcing ammunition has become difficult, obviously, and many people have expressed concern over being able to obtain ammunition, or at least affordable ammunition, for upcoming matches.

My question is, do shooters want smaller matches with lower round counts? With Steel Challenge we can't change the number of rounds per stage, so that would mean running fewer stages. In the past we have been full up with overflowing squads on 5 stages so I'm reluctant to drop to 4 stages to reduce round count. Having said that I expect lower turnout during the current ammunition shortage. For people shooting multiple guns, dropping one stage means dropping 25+ rounds per gun and can make a significant difference.

I'd love to hear from our shooters what they would prefer before making a decision on the match coming up next month so feel free to comment with your thoughts.

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    My thoughts are that any shooter can determine their round count by taking 30s on any string or any stage as well as shooting fewer guns. Also, if I remember, there is generally an outlaw stage. Maybe this one could be 3 strings and a lower round count.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Unfortunately with ammo the way it is I personally will not be able to attend regularly. I intend to shoot a few matches and would rather it be a full match. Lowering the string count on the outlaw style stages like Longbeard mentioned wouldn't bother me either.

Beans&Bullets

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Terre Haute, IN
    I agree with Longbeard. If I wanted to cut my round count, I would rather shoot 5 or 6 stages, and if I feel the need, if I felt I have shot 4 good strings, take a 30 and not shoot the 5th string. Also like the idea of reducing strings on the wildcat string. Just my 2 cents.

Cloner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Pittsboro
    I prefer having more official Steel Challenge stages and no wildcat stages. I agree with Beans & Bullets and prefer 5 or 6 stage matches. To save ammo I need to stop entering 3 guns and just shoot 1 or 2. Just hope the shortage ends before my ammo does.

TheJeff

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jul 7, 2020
    US
    Most competitors I know seen this coming and have prepared. I agree with the having 4 good runs ,not shooting the 5 string. If you have a bad run shoot the 5th .

Top Bottom