• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CoachStall

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Johnson County
    So i am upgrading my carry pistol, and will have to get all new accessories to go with it: Holsters, mag carriers...and whatever else i run into.

My question is, should i keep my old pistol and accessories, or sell them?

The new pistol will replace the old in all activities, except to be a plinker at the range. And i don't plink that much...i choose to spend my range time with my primary carry for proficiency reasons.

Keep or sell?

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    Keep, I don't understand why anyone would sell any gun unless absolutely necessary for other financial obligations.

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    So i am upgrading my carry pistol, and will have to get all new accessories to go with it: Holsters, mag carriers...and whatever else i run into.

The new pistol will replace the old in all activities, except to be a plinker at the range. And i don't plink that much...i choose to spend my range time with my primary carry for proficiency reasons.

Keep or sell?

Keep, I don't understand why anyone would sell any gun...

:ar15::rockwoot:Sell your gun ..... TELL ME IT AIN'T SO :rockwoot::ar15:

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    If its worth replacing, its probably worth selling if you have no plans to use it.

I don't know why people keep 50 guns in a safe and never shoot them?

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I would just relocate it, like to the nightstand or above a cabinet or something. does it have a rail? It always helps to have a flashlight on a home defense gun. Is it your only handgun right now? If you were to have an altercation, the police will keep your gun for a while leaving you with nothing.
    I never thought I needed a flashlight on a handgun, untill I heard wild noises outside one night and I was out there checking my yard with my AR. I figured I looked as crazy as I felt..

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I sell guns all the time. It all depends on you and what type of a gun person you are. I've come to the determination that I'm not a collector. There was a time when I had a dozen different handguns in the safe and shot all of them regularly. I figured out that this wasn't helping my proficiency and the muscle memory was slightly different with each one (different grip angle, controls, etc.). I've decided to stick with one platform and it works for me. I don't take issue with anyone who likes to collect all different kinds of guns but for me they are tools and I run them more efficiently by sticking to one platform. When I came to that determination I sold off most of what I had and upgraded the quality of what I was keeping.

Unless it has some sentimental value, if it sits in my safe unused for a year it goes on the chopping block. All I have are Glock pistols, an AR15 rifle and a couple of Rem700 bolt guns. It works for me.

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles

Keep or sell?

I view guns as tools, when I'm done with them I sell them...to buy more guns.

CoachStall

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Johnson County
    Sell it is then. I'm not a collector.

It is my only current pistol, and it has a rail. I have an M3 light on it now. It is the pistol i take every where and it sits on my night stand when i goto bed.

Thanks for the input

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I sell guns all the time. It all depends on you and what type of a gun person you are. I've come to the determination that I'm not a collector. There was a time when I had a dozen different handguns in the safe and shot all of them regularly. I figured out that this wasn't helping my proficiency and the muscle memory was slightly different with each one (different grip angle, controls, etc.). I've decided to stick with one platform and it works for me. I don't take issue with anyone who likes to collect all different kinds of guns but for me they are tools and I run them more efficiently by sticking to one platform. When I came to that determination I sold off most of what I had and upgraded the quality of what I was keeping.

Unless it has some sentimental value, if it sits in my safe unused for a year it goes on the chopping block. All I have are Glock pistols, an AR15 rifle and a couple of Rem700 bolt guns. It works for me.

I agree that having one particular platform is very helpful in improving proficiency. I have, over time, slowly migrated to one brand. All of their guns have the same operating system and the triggers are very similar. So I can have different niche guns while not sacrificing said proficiency. Having said that, if I had only the carry gun I would keep it even though I had replaced it as my EDC. You never know when a backup might come in handy.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

Keep or sell?

As soon as you get rid of them, you will find out that you need them. At least, that is what always happens with me. I just tend to keep them. :)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have mixed feelings on this topic. First off I see no reason to keep a gun unless it serves a specific purpose and gets used. That said I can come up with a lot of reasons to own a particular gun, or several for that matter. :D

If you only own the two handguns I would consider keeping it for the simple reason that 2 is 1 and 1 is none. A spare pistol is good to have if your primary goes down. Or you might want to consider selling it and picking up a BUG to increase your carry flexibility or even a .22 handgun for more practice.

CoachStall

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Johnson County
    Hmm, I've already flip flopped...twice. Damn. Being it was my first pistol, i kinda want to keep it. But then I'm thinking i could trade it in for a nice small platform for the wifey to get familiar with and carry. Maybe a wheel gun?

I wont need (debatable by some) it as a BUG...i will be getting two upgrades actually :)

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Its not a family heirloom or collector piece, just a tool to you. Make sure your comfortable and happy with your new one before you ditch the old one. If I kept every firearm I ever bough id have a safe full of "junk" sitting around and collecting dust. Sell it and put the money into something you really want! Tastes change.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Keep it for a year and if you don't want it at that point, sell it. It doesn't take up room and you don't have to feed it, so what's the problem with keeping it? If you want to get your wife a gun, just do it. Don't use this as the reason to now buy her a gun. If you must sell it to have the finances to get her a gun, then do it, but make sure she wants one. However, DO NOT trade your gun at the LGS! You will get the most out of it by selling it yourself.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If you find something you like better go for it. I have traded/sold a few guns over the years. For example, I carried an Xd for a couple of years. I then bought a FNP, and much preferred it, so I sold the Xd. There is nothing wrong with it. Put on your big boy pants and make a decision :).

Top Bottom