• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    why is it that indiana honors all but Vermont, American Samoa, Illinois, N. Mariana Islands gun permits, and yet were not honord in the same?

Because we are nice?

A lot of it has to do with the way the wind blows during the day of the night of a blue moon while the frost nips at the bear's balls.

Seriously, states just decide if another state's licensing satisfies their requirements... like a good portion of states require a class.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    why is it that indiana honors all but Vermont, American Samoa, Illinois, N. Mariana Islands gun permits, and yet were not honord in the same?

Indiana honors all permits from any gov't agency. VT and IL do not issue them at all as of this writing. I don't know about the Mariana Islands or American Samoa.

The simple answer to your question is because that's the way our law reads at the present time. I'm of the opinion that we're doing it as close to correctly as can be under the current conditions. It should be Constitutional Carry everywhere, the minimum standard should be to end the prohibition on that for Indiana residents, but as the permitting system is still in place and still widespread, the best we can presently hope for is universal recognition and at the same time, make what inroads we can in other states to do likewise or to go Constitutional Carry.

Some have suggested that we should punitively restrict others' rights when visiting here as their states do us when we visit there. While that has a certain vindictive/retributive appeal, the right is not ours to restrict, and I'm of the opinion that we should do everything we can to expand good peoples' ability to exercise their natural rights.

Blessings,
    Bill

heathkid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Open Carry or Conceiled?

Here is a map if you guys want it. You can edit it with Microsoft paint. I would not change the size of it as when I do it loses quality. If you let me know I will update it for you if/when there is a change.

INGunOwers_zps8bf9ebf8.png

This is a GREAT map! But, it would be helpful if we knew when and where we can OC or CC. Let's say I drive to Florida... what states in-between are OC or CC only? I really don't want to keep anything locked in a trunk. Oh, and I'll drive around IL before I drive through it and spend any $ there on gas, food, hotels, etc. The other states can have my $. :laugh:

So do I have to search *every* state when planning a trip or can we get an map that gives all the info needed?

Thanks!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Gary and his partner address the issue of who can carry where, irrespective of open or concealed.

To address open carry issues directly, I go to opencarry.org, where I found this map:

You cannot open carry legally in FL or in SC. As our LTCH is recognized everywhere else in between IN and FL, though, you should be able to carry your whole trip. Just make sure you have your LTCH with you, don't cross into SC, and conceal-only in FL while there and you should be fine.

Note: I am not a lawyer. I don't play one on TV and I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night. This post does not constitute legal advice.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    This is an update to a previous post. Kansas now recognizes ALL other states' permission slips. (As of July 1, 2013)
    One of our members, NIFT, messaged me with a few points of interest, things I had not made note of, such as that while Maine (among others) does not recognize non-resident permits from other states, they do issue their own, and that MD and NJ do likewise, though theirs are very difficult to obtain.

OK, so our LTCH covers us to carry according to the laws of the state we happen to be in in 30 states. How can we carry in the other 20 (if at all?)

AL - covered under LTCH.........................................MT - covered under LTCH
    AK - covered under LTCH, Constitutional Carry...................NE - *
    AZ - covered under LTCH, Constitutional Carry...................NV - *
    AR - covered under LTCH.........................................NH - covered under LTCH for IN residents
    CA - **........................................................NJ - *
    CO - covered under LTCH for IN residents........................NM - *
    CT - *.........................................................NY - **
    DE - *.........................................................NC - covered under LTCH
    FL - covered under LTCH for IN residents........................ND - covered under LTCH
    GA - covered under LTCH.........................................OH - *
    HI - **........................................................OK - covered under LTCH
    ID - covered under LTCH.........................................OR - *
    IL - ***.......................................................PA - covered under LTCH
    IN - covered under LTCH.........................................RI - *
    IA - covered under LTCH.........................................SC - *
    KS - covered under LTCH..(as of July 1, 2013)...................SD - covered under LTCH
    KY - covered under LTCH.........................................TN - covered under LTCH
    LA - covered under LTCH.........................................TX - covered under LTCH
    ME - *.........................................................UT - covered under LTCH
    MD - *.........................................................VT - covered under LTCH, Constitutional Carry
    MA - *.........................................................VA - covered under LTCH
    MI - covered under LTCH for IN residents........................WA - *
    MN - *.........................................................WV - *
    MS - covered under LTCH.........................................WI - covered under LTCH
    MO - covered under LTCH.........................................WY - covered under LTCH, Constitutional Carry

*CT - honors no other state's permit/license, but issues their own non-res (5yrs/$70)
    *DE - Non-res AZ, FL, or UT are recognized
    *ME - honors no other state's non-res, but issues their own (4yrs/$60)
    *MD - honors no other state's permit/license, but issues their own non-res (difficult to obtain)
    *MA - honors no other state's permit/license, but issues their own non-res (difficult to obtain)
    *MN - Non-res UT is recognized
    *NE - Non-res AZ, FL, or UT are recognized
    *NV - Non-res AZ is recognized
    *NJ - honors no other state's permit/license, but issues their own non-res (difficult to obtain)
    *NM - Non-res AZ and FL are is recognized
    *OH - Non-res
    [STRIKE]AZ,[/STRIKE] FL, or UT are recognized
    *OR - Must own property in OR to obtain "qualified non-resident" permit from OR
    *RI - honors no other state's permit/license, but issues their own non-res
    *SC - Must own property in SC to obtain "qualified non-resident" permit from SC
    *WA - Non-res FL and UT are recognized
    *WV - Non-res AZ, FL, or UT are recognized

.**CA - No means in place.
    .**HI - No means in place.
    ***IL - No one other than LE may carry here legally.
    .**NY - No means in place.

Do remember that to carry a firearm in these other jurisdictions, their local laws apply. Some forbid carry in places that, to us, seem counterintuitive and even idiotic. Their laws do not have to make sense to us, any more than our own do, we still must follow them or risk fines, imprisonment, and loss of the future ability to lawfully possess firearms.

My thanks to Bob for his bringing this information out.

Blessings,
    Bill

ETA: I've updated the map Gary Slider gave us as well, to reflect this change. Remember, this is effective July 1, 2013!
    IndianaLicenseMapApr13.png

Thanks again, Gary!
    Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    This is an update to a previous post. Kansas now recognizes ALL other states' permission slips.

ETA: I've updated the map Gary Slider gave us as well, to reflect this change.
    IndianaLicenseMapApr13.png

Thanks again, Gary!
    Blessings,
    Bill

That map just almost identical to the presidential electoral votes!

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    When traveling, make sure to check the state laws as to WHAT constitutes OC & CC !

I travel frequently to VA and going through OHIO (OC friendly) with my shoulder rig (plain view) once I enter my vehicle I am CCing !!!! Stupid, YES .... the law, YES !!! In OH, you will have to unload your gun AND your magazines. Magazines and cartridges are to be locked separately from you gun which must also be locked and INaccessible !!!!

Sooooooo, now a days, I just go through Kentucky :D

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Y dont the state of washington that our permite . But we take thiers

As I understand it, you're asking why Washington State does not recognize our LTCH despite the fact that we recognize their license/permit/whatever.

I can't speculate as to the reason for this, but their law specifies that they will recognize no permit/license/whatever that the issuing state will issue to someone under the age of 21. We, OTOH, recognize any of those issued by any government. Again, I don't know why, but it seems we are far closer to our Founders' idea of liberty, even if we have quite a ways to go yet.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Of note: I've been trying to get in touch with the Kansas Attorney General's office to verify that last and find out when it goes into effect, as their website still indicates recognition of only some states. I wrote to them once and called once (because I also kinda forgot about the email I'd written
    newn00b3.gif
    ) and as yet, I have no reply. I'll keep trying, but for now, go with what their website says. ( ag.ks.gov )

Blessings,
    Bill

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Of note: I've been trying to get in touch with the Kansas Attorney General's office to verify that last and find out when it goes into effect, as their website still indicates recognition of only some states. I wrote to them once and called once (because I also kinda forgot about the email I'd written
    newn00b3.gif
    ) and as yet, I have no reply. I'll keep trying, but for now, go with what their website says. ( ag.ks.gov )

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill,

KS bill is effective on July 1, 2013. :)

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss
    You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.
    Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...
    Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

Scttmtclf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2013
    Kosciusko Co
    This is a GREAT map! But, it would be helpful if we knew when and where we can OC or CC. Let's say I drive to Florida... what states in-between are OC or CC only? I really don't want to keep anything locked in a trunk. Oh, and I'll drive around IL before I drive through it and spend any $ there on gas, food, hotels, etc. The other states can have my $. :laugh:

So do I have to search *every* state when planning a trip or can we get an map that gives all the info needed?

Thanks!

Illinois is dead to me....avoid it like the plague. Had a run-in with a state trooper in southern Illinois a few years back; not gun related, but traffic stop. Sounded just like the police from the movie "Idiocracy." "This particular individual is accused of being a particular individual..."

pmadera

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    what the deal with ohio? why dont they accept IN permit,
    but they are supposed to be an open carry state?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    what the deal with ohio? why dont they accept IN permit,
    but they are supposed to be an open carry state?

As with the other 9 or so states that accept some states' permission slips but not ours, they have their own reasons. In many of them, their state laws demand that other states they recognize must have laws similar to theirs, and usually, this means some statutorily-mandated training class, but not in all cases. As I usually point out at this point in a conversation, Washington State refuses to recognize our LTCH because we issue them (horror of horrors!) to people under 21. Never mind the fact that they don't have to recognize them in their state (Such as in Florida, for example, where they DO recognize a resident LTCH from IN, but not if the holder is 18, 19, or 20 years old.) No, WA will not recognize any IN LTCH because there is someone under their arbitrary age that has one. Somewhere.

That's what's up with Ohio. Their laws have not caught up with a little thing we like to call "liberty" yet, at least not in that area.

Blessings,
    Bill

Boonl1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Indy
    I've read the first 5 pages of this thread. I apologize if this has already been posted.
    Here is what I can share:

Taking Illinois out of the equation, there are three (3) types of carry states:

1) "Shall issue" states like Indiana where any law abiding citizen shall be issued a permit on request without any training.
    2) "Shall Issue with training" states like Utah and Ohio where any law abiding citizen shall be issued a permit, after completing a training course.
    3) "If Justfied" states like Connecticut and New York, where the citizen must justify his need to carry, often combined with a training requirement.

Forget about Connecticut and New York, you'll never carry there. In the midwest, the reciprocity issue is a tug of war between the the shall issue states without training and the states which require a basic training class.

States which require training (ie. Ohio) will not recognize a "shall issue" without training permit like Indiana's, but they will recogize a permit that has a training component. The answer is to get a non-resident carry permit from a state like Utah which has a training requirement. Utah runs a cottage industry of issuing non-resident permits to address this very issue. An Indiana carry permit holder can pay about $150, attend a 4 hour class locally, and receive a Utah permit in 60 days. The classes are advertised on this site.

Last edited:

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Real happy to see that when I drive to FL I can carry all the way. I think when I do I will print out the law for each state I'm driving through just in case it does become an issue.

Top Bottom