• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gary Slider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    NIFT, The PM's are telling me I can't send a PM without 50 posts, I send some earlier but can't to you. So thank you for the kind words in your PM. Very Much Appreciated!

Gary Slider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Just talked to my contact in the Dept that takes care of signing agreements etc for WV and nothing has changed with IN at this time. WV Still does not honor IN. They are talking to them but nothing is settled yet. Just wanted you in Indiana to know for sure.

ART5420

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    So how do you drive through these states that don't honor Indiana permits?

Every state has different rules regarding the transportation of a handgun. But it's easy if you can keep it locked separate from ammunition with a unloaded magazines in a place that cannot be easily reached without exiting the vehicle. I use an app on my iPhone called CCW. It gives you state statutes a brief synopsis of where in the rules to carry for each state. What states have receptacle agreements with Indiana or wherever you have your license from.

ART5420

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Augment your Indiana permit

So how do you drive through these states that don't honor Indiana permits?
    You can augment your Indiana permit with an nonresident Utah or Florida permit. I have a nonresident Utah permit which opens up Ohio and West Virginia for me. Please keep in mind that when traveling in another state you're bound by their laws and rules which vary from Indiana. There are several good websites as well as apps you can install on your tablet or smart phone that will give you reciprocity agreements as well as rules and state statutes for each state. I have downloaded and installed two different apps for my iPhone one iCHL the other is CCW. I prefer the CCW app.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Every state has different rules regarding the transportation of a handgun. But it's easy if you can keep it locked separate from ammunition with a unloaded magazines in a place that cannot be easily reached without exiting the vehicle. I use an app on my iPhone called CCW. It gives you state statutes a brief synopsis of where in the rules to carry for each state. What states have receptacle agreements with Indiana or wherever you have your license from.

:welcome: to :ingo:! :wavey:

Thanks for posting this info. There are a few of us who try to keep abreast of the states and their reciprocity agreements and unilateral recognitions. Having that resource would be excellent if for some reason you were out of range of a tower and didn't have internet access, but do be aware that apps like that, and for that matter, sites like INGO or even USACarry.com or handgunlaw.us may be correct but are not authoritative. For that, you need to actually read and research the laws of the states you're visiting, or pay someone who specializes in that to do so.

You can augment your Indiana permit with an nonresident Utah or Florida permit. I have a nonresident Utah permit which opens up Ohio and West Virginia for me. Please keep in mind that when traveling in another state you're bound by their laws and rules which vary from Indiana. There are several good websites as well as apps you can install on your tablet or smart phone that will give you reciprocity agreements as well as rules and state statutes for each state. I have downloaded and installed two different apps for my iPhone one iCHL the other is CCW. I prefer the CCW app.

There is also the Arizona permit; each of those three opens several states. As to which is better... that's an individual decision, based on cost, which states recognize which permit vs. which you're visiting, and other factors as well.

Again, thanks for posting this, and :welcome:

Blessings,
    Bill

xxlmac3xx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 2, 2013
    Decatur

How do you go about getting the Utah or Florida permit?

NorthLiberty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Seems to me like every state should honor another state's registered carrier, they are clearly quality citizens unlikely to just start killing for the hell of it.

afcolt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Madison Co.
    I wrote the governor and my local senator on a couple of firearm-related issues, and included this one with it. I figure it can't hurt to do so. I'm still thinking about taking the Florida class, but I'd sure like to see at least West Virginia open up. At least they're talking...

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    Wonder what is up with South Carolina? Neither my Florida Non-Res nor Indiana is valid. Seems like this good old boy Southern state needs to get on board with the program.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Wonder what is up with South Carolina? Neither my Florida Non-Res nor Indiana is valid. Seems like this good old boy Southern state needs to get on board with the program.

SC has long been a holdout; I can only guess that their state police (SLED) lobby for the continued restrictions, based on some of the arguments I've read from there.

FTR, they do not recognize ANY non-res permission slips, though they've had legislative efforts to repeal that.

Maybe someday.

Blessings,
    Bill

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    My thoughts exactly. Has to be political reasons.

KGlock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2014
    Noblesville
    I'm 100% sure this has been covered, but I haven't found anything through a couple hours of searching.
    If you have a Indiana CCW how do you travel through a state that doesn't recognize it for example if you're traveling through Ohio to get to Pennsylvania? Just locked in the trunk mag unloaded?

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I'm 100% sure this has been covered, but I haven't found anything through a couple hours of searching.
    If you have a Indiana CCW how do you travel through a state that doesn't recognize it for example if you're traveling through Ohio to get to Pennsylvania? Just locked in the trunk mag unloaded?

First, Indiana has a LTCH, not a CCW. There is a big difference between the two. Secondly, yes. Personally, I would lock the gun in a gun case unloaded with no ammunition in the case, then lock it in the trunk. Then store the ammo in the cabin with me.

KGlock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2014
    Noblesville
    First, Indiana has a LTCH, not a CCW. There is a big difference between the two. Secondly, yes. Personally, I would lock the gun in a gun case unloaded with no ammunition in the case, then lock it in the trunk. Then store the ammo in the cabin with me.
    Thanks I always try to keep learning. I honestly thought a LTCH was basically a CCW. Can you elaborate on the differences?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Thanks I always try to keep learning. I honestly thought a LTCH was basically a CCW. Can you elaborate on the differences?

Sure. A CCW authorizes you under law to Carry a Concealed Weapon.
    A LTCH is the same kind of form, but is a License To Carry a Handgun, without specification as to method. Concealed, Open, or duct taped to your forehead... the law is silent on this point. With a CCW, it only permits concealment.

Now... in some states open carry is not restricted by law, and anyone can do so who can lawfully possess the weapon they carry. They only require the permission slip to conceal (as originally, it was expected that people went armed, and only one who did so for nefarious purposes did so in hiding.) Later, the idea was to keep the "wrong people", usually of a different ethnic group than was in power, whether Black, Irish, Italian, whatever, from carrying lawfully.

Hope that helps!

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom