• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indianajoe

Expert
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    Coauthored an article (along with Jeff Jaeger) that appears in the current issue of "Muzzle Blasts," the magazine of the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association. The "Grouseland Rifle," crafted by Indiana gunsmith John Small sometime between 1803 and 1812, was recently named the Official Rifle of the State of Indiana.

Indiana becomes only the third state in the Union to name an official firearm, after Utah and the Browning M1911 pistol, and Arizona with the Colt 1873 Peacemaker revolver.

Among his many accomplishments, John Small designed a tomahawk for Meriwether Lewis and a long rifle for William Clark. Although the historical record is unclear, William Clark's "Small rifle" may have been carried on the Lewis and Clark expedition (1804-1806).

John Small designed the seal of the Indiana Territory, and his design remains the basis for the current day official State Seal of Indiana. He was credited as Indiana's first sheriff, was a colonel in the territorial militia, and was known among the local native people by his Indian name, "Big Knife."

The Grouseland Rifle will be on display at the NMLRA Educational Building Museum in Friendship, IN, on Saturday, 9 June 2012, during the Spring National Shoot.

2012-04-26_10-16-47_727.jpg

2012-04-26_10-17-07_157.jpg

Last edited:

indianajoe

Expert
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    Kirk, I can't find a reference that specifically places John Small in the ranks of the Indiana Rangers. Small was appointed as a commander in the territorial militia (I've seen references to both "colonel" and "adjutant general") around 1801 (ref). William Henry Harrison formed the Indiana Rangers in April of 1807 (ref).

Two companies of Rangers were based in Vincennes, so if Col Small didn't actually ride with them, I'm guessing he had some command authority over those units. I do find a reference, "General Orders for the Militia, Head-Quarters, Vincennes, 9th June, 1807" (ref), which shows John Small as the author of those orders. So it does appear that he was still in command of the territorial militia at the time that the Indiana Rangers were operating.

J10

Marksman
    Oct 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    That is really neat. Local history is always fun. I've been reading about gunsmiths lately but i didn't even think of looking for books on local gunsmiths. IndianaJoe, since you seem to be well read on John Small, do you know of any books that talk about him in respect to his gunsmithing?

indianajoe

Expert
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    That is really neat. Local history is always fun. I've been reading about gunsmiths lately but i didn't even think of looking for books on local gunsmiths. IndianaJoe, since you seem to be well read on John Small, do you know of any books that talk about him in respect to his gunsmithing?

J10... the authority on John Small is my friend, Jeff Jaeger, who coauthored the book John Small of Vincennes: Gunsmith on the Western Frontier, along with the late Jim Dresslar. (RE Davis Company | John Small of Vincennes: Gunsmith on the Western Frontier by Jim Dresslar & Jeff Jaeger

Mr. Dresslar had an extensive collection of Western Frontier artifacts, which included many items crafted by John Small (two rifles, a pistol, a silver-mounted powder horn, and a pipe tomahawk). Dresslar's collection now resides in the Indiana State Museum in Indianapolis.

Dresslar and Jaeger's book is available at the Eiteljorg Museum of American Indiana and Western Art. I know that Jeff sometimes sells copies of the book at Friendship during shoots, and often has them available at gatherings of the Indiana Antique Arms Collectors Association. I think he said it's also available at the NMLRA in Friendship and at Harrison's Grouseland estate in Vincennes.

He has been considering making the book more widely available through Amazon (and I'm sure he'll be grateful to know that people are interested in learning more about John Small). If you like, send me a PM with your contact e-mail, and I'll forward that along to Jeff.

J10

Marksman
    Oct 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    J10... the authority on John Small is my friend, Jeff Jaeger, who coauthored the book John Small of Vincennes: Gunsmith on the Western Frontier, along with the late Jim Dresslar. (RE Davis Company | John Small of Vincennes: Gunsmith on the Western Frontier by Jim Dresslar & Jeff Jaeger

Mr. Dresslar had an extensive collection of Western Frontier artifacts, which included many items crafted by John Small (two rifles, a pistol, a silver-mounted powder horn, and a pipe tomahawk). Dresslar's collection now resides in the Indiana State Museum in Indianapolis.

Dresslar and Jaeger's book is available at the Eiteljorg Museum of American Indiana and Western Art. I know that Jeff sometimes sells copies of the book at Friendship during shoots, and often has them available at gatherings of the Indiana Antique Arms Collectors Association. I think he said it's also available at the NMLRA in Friendship and at Harrison's Grouseland estate in Vincennes.

He has been considering making the book more widely available through Amazon (and I'm sure he'll be grateful to know that people are interested in learning more about John Small). If you like, send me a PM with your contact e-mail, and I'll forward that along to Jeff.

PM sent

.45 Dave

Master
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    FWIW--All Hoosiers should study early state history. Indiana was the original "Wild West" from about 1810-to 1840's. It was also a state very divided during the Civil War era too. Lots of small battles between local militias for the Union and the Confederacy were fought on our soil. I find state history very interesting, especially the things you don't find in the modern history books. Look at the old histories written back in the early 1900's and before. Most are online through the Historical Society.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It was also a state very divided during the Civil War era too. Lots of small battles between local militias for the Union and the Confederacy were fought on our soil.

Ummm, no, Indiana was solidly Union and gave the second highest per capita causalties.

There were Southern sympathizers, especially in the Democrat party. Senator Bright was expelled by the U.S. Senate for his acts of Treason (Southern sympathies).

Small battles between local militias? Are you referencing the Calico Raid, when Morgan came looting and shooting? There were two other minor raids but what are these battles between local militias that you reference?

It sounds like you are talking about Missouri, Arkansas, Texas or North Carolina???

Last edited:

Cerberus

Master
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Ummm, no, Indiana was solidly Union and gave the second highest per capita causalties.

There were Southern sympathizers, especially in the Democrat party. Senator Bright was expelled by the U.S. Senate for his acts of Treason (Southern sympathies).

Small battles between local militias? Are you referencing the Calico Raid, when Morgan came looting and shooting? There were two other minor raids but what are these battles between local militias that you reference?

It sounds like you are talking about Missouri, Arkansas, Texas or North Carolina???

Don't forget Kentucky. The partisan skirmishing was quite common in the Commonwealth. Kentucky started out solidly Unionist, then by 1864 had developed a bad taste for the Union.

Many small skirmishes were scantily recorded. In fact I've found a couple that are only mentioned in private correspondence and journals, most of which never get published.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Don't forget Kentucky. The partisan skirmishing was quite common in the Commonwealth. Kentucky started out solidly Unionist, then by 1864 had developed a bad taste for the Union.

Kentucky "solidly Unionist"? How is it that one becomes solidly Unionist by declaring neutrality?

Kentucky started off neutral and then declared for the Union after Southern invasion by General Polk (the occupation of Columbus, Kentucky) which violated its neutrality. A shadow government was formed and then declared for the CSA.

The CSA was driven out but guerrilla warfare remained. Lincoln implemented martial law and General Burbridge, The Butcher of Kentucky (for hanging the guerillas), suppressed Confederate guerrillas until his falling out with the Gov. in 1865.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    ... John Small designed a tomahawk for Meriwether Lewis ... and was known among the local native people by his Indian name, "Big Knife."

So, sounds like he was into blades as well. Any more info on that, especially the "Big Knife?"

indianajoe

Expert
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    So, sounds like he was into blades as well. Any more info on that, especially the "Big Knife?"

Alamo... Jeff Jaeger responds. A take-away here is that there could likely be John Small knives (or tomahawks, powderhorns, Kentucky rifles, or pistols) sitting in a rack above somebody's mantle, undiscovered as a work by this important Indiana historical figure. It sounds like Jeff is willing to take a look at these kind of artifacts, and offer an opinion as to the maker.

Joe,

There is very little known about Small's knife making. The only blades that I have seen by him are [the toma]'hawks and the silver knife inlays [engraved] into the 'hawk's [tomahawk] heads.

No one knows how many knives, if any, he made...we can only guess.

It has been speculated that Small likely made large knives or small swords that were commonly used by Kentuckians for close-contact fighting with hostiles. Or he could have been making large hunting or large scalping knives as are outlined in the silver inlays of his [toma]hawk blades.

There is solid documentation that the Indians called him "Big Knife." They called George Rogers Clark "Long Knife." Did Small simply carry a large knife or did he also make them? My sense tells me that he would have done both: carry for self defense and make them for trading.

It would be good to see some knives that may have been made by him. Inlays, workmanship, engraving, carving, could all help ID a Small knife. Let's keep the interest going and maybe something will turn up??

Check out Small's tomahawks in the book. There are at least a couple that have a silver knife inlay in the iron blade of the tomahawk.

Other "hawk" makers could have done similar work, but Small's craftmanship, quality, and design are somewhat unique and could help ID a tomahawk made by him. Engraving and inlay designs can be like someone's signature and help to ID who did what even 200 years ago whether it be an engraved silver inlay, engraved brass patchbox, or engraved iron 'hawk blade.

Some of the photos in the book should have been color corrected before it was printed. The 'hawk on pages 6 & 7 has two silver inlays. One inlay could be described as a big hunting or scalping knife. The engraved design in the handle(complete with rivets) may be what some of his real knives look like.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom