• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M88A1

Marksman
    Aug 30, 2010
    Bedford
    Any advice on what I need to invest in to get fully started in muzzle loader hunting? Rifle/scope/accessories? thank you

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Do you want modern or traditional?

In modern just about any of the inline ML's that use shotgun primers are very user friendly. TC, CVA, etc...just find one that fits your budget. The pellets are easy to use and negate the need for measures and such and saboted bullets are both easy to load and accurate.

In a Traditional I really like the Lyman Great Plains or Deerstalker. You can still use pellets but loose black powder is easier to light with caps and more traditional. Patched balls are very accurate out of the slow twist barrels.

M88A1

Marksman
    Aug 30, 2010
    Bedford
    Thanks for the advice. I'm looking for modern inline, plain jane rifle with iron sights. Like to keep the buget tight, I dont want to spend a bundle and find out Muzzle Loading isnt for me. $250 would be good with me.

POC

Master
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    I got the CVA Optima, used it for the first time last year. I doubt I'll ever use a shotgun for deer hunting again.
    Bass Pro has the CVA Wolf for $199 bare bones.

chris miller

Plinker
    Apr 26, 2010
    Hancock
    I also have a CVA Optima with a scope. My kids gave it to me as a Christmas gift. I will never use my shotgun again. They got it at Wal-Mart.

pjcalla

Expert
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'm in the same position as the OP. I have heard great things about the T/C Impact. That is the direction I'm going. It's on sale at Cabela's. Remember, you can have these shipped to your door without going through an FFL.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Black-Powder/Rifles|/pc/104792580/c/104701680/sc/104533380/Thompson47Center-Impact-50-caliber-Rifle-150-Blued-Barrel47Black-Stock/706448.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshooting-black-powder-rifles%2Fthompson-center%2F_%2FN-1100200%2B4294966726%2FNe-4294966726%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104533380%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU

Sorry about the link, don't know how to make it smaller.

M88A1

Marksman
    Aug 30, 2010
    Bedford
    I ended up with a CVA Wolf, it seems like a decent one to start out with. Found one in Wal-Mart on sale for $179, camo stock w/ blued barrel. If things dont work out hopefully I can sell it amd make back a little of what I spent. If I like hunting with a muzzle loader then I can pass it down to my son and move up.

Thankd for the advice and input.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If you are not in a hurry, muzzleloader season will be over in january. Lots of folks are constant up-graders or just sell em off after season at a loss if it is not for them.

I know for a beginner a used smoke pole my not be the best option but i see them in the pawn shops and gun store cheap. If you were to look em over real good and make sure they were cleaned up and not left dirty i think you could get a starter rifle of better quality than the Wolf for 100 dollars. leaves more cash for sabots and powder.

xHwyLT

Plinker
    Jan 6, 2011
    Monroe
    Thanks for the advice. I'm looking for modern inline, plain jane rifle with iron sights. Like to keep the buget tight, I dont want to spend a bundle and find out Muzzle Loading isnt for me. $250 would be good with me.
    Cabela's has the Traditions Timber Ridge .50 Cal in line rifle on sale in their "Bargain Cave" for $89.99. It's nothing fancy, iron sights, etc. I just picked one up for the heck of it (good price). Never had a Traditions BP rifle before, but for the price you can't beat it.

zipper89

Plinker
    Jan 23, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    i ended up getting a CVA Wolf. at walmart just before season. i use winchester seven 209 primers. Cheap shot lead bullet. and Hodgdon Triple Seven pellets. It shoots dead on strait out of the box. comes equip with fiber optic sights. I would recommended to anyone.

chraland51

Expert
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    If you are looking to go traditional, the CVA Kentucky long rifle that I bought my son several years ago seems to shoot better than my Lyman Great Plains 50 cal or my Thompson Center 54 cal Hawken at 50 yards on a range. All were good shooters, however.

Top Bottom