• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hootenholler

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    jefferson co
    I'm in dire need of some help in choice of a new 1911. The new ruger sr1911 or the springfield range officer....They are roughly the same price..both are loaded with nice options I like...please chime in.

My reasons for gun...plinking, carry, and maybe a pistol matches

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    I'm in dire need of some help in choice of a new 1911. The new ruger sr1911 or the springfield range officer....They are roughly the same price..both are loaded with nice options I like...please chime in.

My reasons for gun...plinking, carry, and maybe a pistol matches

For the reason's you want a 1911 target and pistol matches I would go with the RO, it is built off of the TRP model. It is going to have really nice fitting and finish. But it would not be such a great carry gun due to the sights, those would have to be changed. Target sights are not comfortable at all when carried IWB.

The ruger is untested really but probably a little edge in the carry department than the RO because of the sights. Also it is stainless so wear and tear will not show up as easily. They both are enhanced with features that make them good 1911's.

Personally if it was me I would get the RO and change the sights. Springfield has top notch customer service if you ever need it, plus with it being built from the TRP line, the fit and finish is really nice.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Where are you getting the idea that they are roughly the same price?

Those are the two that I am considering as well. But I was coming up with about $750 for the RO and $600 for the SR. Maybe a little more depending on the store, but always about a $150 spread.

joshuametivier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Columbus
    I have a RO. It's a great gun, and yes I changed the sights on it. I think the contemporary trend with production 1911's is to set them up with options (like a match grade barrel and bushing) that were previously gun smith jobs you might have done post purchase. There are many differences in the set up of these two 1911's that may sway your opinion one way or another. Both are quality 1911's that will be sure to provide you with enjoyment for a very long time. Obviously the point behind the RO was for competition above all things. If you looking for more accuracy, trigger refinement, and fit/finish BOTH guns offer this already, like I said about current trends. If the manner in which the gun is actually put together is of importance Ruger does offer inside the factory youtube videos on the production of this gun. The RO comes off the TRP line which someone already mentioned. Ruger is new at the 1911, but I dont think this is any reason to discredit their offering. If I was in a position to have to decide between one or the other it would be a tough choice. The Ruger was not available when I bought the RO.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Isnt the Ruger frame investment cast? I believe SA uses only forged frames in their pistols. I am sure the Ruger is a nice gun, but in my opinion, if the frame is cast, it is only a polished up version of a RI 1911, where the SA would be more along the lines of a Kimber, or a Colt, with a few less expensive options in their line.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Ruger has a history of recalls on new products ,have heard nothing bad about the SR1911 yet but had a then new P-85 that in less that 6 months had a recall for firing pins breaking if I remember correctly & have had recalls happen with other newly introduced pistols( cant remember which ones) Not saying that they didnt address these problems immediatly & all there products afterwards are stellar,I would throw my vote to the SA Range Officer ,I am wanting to check out the SR1911 but in no hurry to pick one up yet.Wish it didnt have the 'read the manual " engraved under the frame ,turns me off a bit as well

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    What about the new Smith and Wesson E series 1911. Thats the one I'm considering!
    108482_01_lg.jpg

hootenholler

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    jefferson co
    s&w 1911

That's a very nice gun as well...anyone care to throw some prices out for the SR1911, SA-RO, S&W....I really like the fact that the sa is forged instead of cast that is a big differents to me in quality and long term dependability...not saying cast wont last 100 years but the forged will llast twice as long....(OPIONIONS)....

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom