Square me away on the IN DNR deer rules, kinda iffy.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I just get nervous about my interpretation of the IN DNR rules and would feel more confident if I could confirm a few things.

If i understand the new rules correctly, I can hunt just like I used to with my 44mag rifle, in my ground blind, but I'll need some piece of orange on the top of it that's visible from all angles and has the correct amount of sq inches.

Also, if I decide to pick up a bow after gun season ends and go out after deer the old fashioned way I can use my new little bundle license and I don't have to worry about buying any new licensing.

Also, the bundle allows me to shoot two does, and one buck.

If you guys see anything out of line on the above, please square me away. I'm way to handsome to go to prison and be introduced to Sandusky.

ZS84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Columbus
    You have to have 144 square inches of hunter orange on all sides of the blind (12inch X 12inch). A flag on top will not be counted. The thought behind this is because if it is a flag and the wind is blowing you would not see much of the hunter orange if looking from the direction the wind is blowing. This is not just my interpretation of the law but as I have heard explained by several different CO's If this is what you are trying to say then you are right.

kyron4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    You have to have 144 square inches of hunter orange on all sides of the blind (12inch X 12inch). A flag on top will not be counted. The thought behind this is because if it is a flag and the wind is blowing you would not see much of the hunter orange if looking from the direction the wind is blowing. This is not just my interpretation of the law but as I have heard explained by several different CO's If this is what you are trying to say then you are right.

Yes this is correct you must have a 12"x12" blaze orange square on each side. Big R actualy sells a "kit" for this. I just took some old safety vests and cut out four 12"x12" squares and saftety pinned them to each side of my blind.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Yes this is correct you must have a 12"x12" blaze orange square on each side. Big R actualy sells a "kit" for this. I just took some old safety vests and cut out four 12"x12" squares and saftety pinned them to each side of my blind.

Only needed when it is firearm, muzzleloader and the new antlerless season right after Christmas..

foamkiller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    This law is funny to me. In my estimation a flag on top of the blind would be much more visible than the orange especially if you brush the blind in. Also the law says 144 square inches per side. Using the properties of math I believe that 144 square inches could be a 12" x 12" square, a 2"x 72" strip or could be 24 2"x3" pieces arranged on the side of the blind. All scenarios produce 144 square inches of orange.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    This law is funny to me. In my estimation a flag on top of the blind would be much more visible than the orange especially if you brush the blind in. Also the law says 144 square inches per side. Using the properties of math I believe that 144 square inches could be a 12" x 12" square, a 2"x 72" strip or could be 24 2"x3" pieces arranged on the side of the blind. All scenarios produce 144 square inches of orange.

The flag would have to be blowing at aright angle to see it completely

The orange can be in any shape as long as it is 144 square inches.

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    hell might as well make the blind orange now screw making them in camo
    this is the biggest pain in the arse I've seen
    guess I need to cut some orange vest up or something

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    What about this new call in tagging system?!?!?! I definately don't get it. Can I just pop the deer and then call it in? I need squared away on this.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What about this new call in tagging system?!?!?! I definately don't get it. Can I just pop the deer and then call it in? I need squared away on this.

Still need a temporary tag with appropriate info. Call it in or check it in online (it is really quick and easy.) They'll give you a tag number that needs to go on the temp. tag and stay with the deer (in place of the old metal tags.)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    That's awesome. It was always such a pain having to take them to the local check in.

Top Bottom