• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • askeen289

Plinker
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    I'm finally coming to a point to be able to get another pistol. I like Glocks and have a 23 and 21. I really enjoy shooting both of them but the full size .45 seems to be more comfortable. I have checked around and like both the Springfield XD and S&W MP. I'm looking for some input to make my final decision between these two and deciding between which caliber. I have always liked .40 caliber but since owning a .45 I'm torn to say the least. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I'm finally coming to a point to be able to get another pistol. I like Glocks and have a 23 and 21. I really enjoy shooting both of them but the full size .45 seems to be more comfortable. I have checked around and like both the Springfield XD and S&W MP. I'm looking for some input to make my final decision between these two and deciding between which caliber. I have always liked .40 caliber but since owning a .45 I'm torn to say the least. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Although not the same frame, OkieGirl liked the M&P line so much she bought 2 - 9c & Shield. The quality of fit & finish is high. Not to knock the Springfield family. I don't have any of the XDs (considered an XDm) but I do have a Springfield pistol and am quite happy with it.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Best advice I can give you, shoot both and pick what you shoot best. They are both great guns. I did exactly that last year and picked the XDm. It was just more of a natural "pointer" than the M&P or Glock. I actually bought the 5.25 competition model in 9mm. I love it.

I'm not sure where you are located but try and find a range that rents them and have at it.

As far as caliber is considered, depends on quite a few things. How much will you shoot it (cost of ammo, although not as big of difference between .40 and .45 as 9mm).
    Is the capacity difference an issue?

Last edited:

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I used to have the M&P 45 and XDM 45, both shot great. XDM holds a few more rounds and it has a grip safety. They're both great pistols so like said already hold both and pick the one that feels the best to you.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I have an XD-45, a birthday gift from my wife. I also have an M&P 9mm that I won in a Friends of NRA raffle. A shooting buddy had an M&P in 45 ACP and I thought the grip was a little too big for me. My XD-45 felt better in my hand.

I really like the M&P better in a 9mm or 40, but for a 45, I prefer the XD. You may want to handle (and preferably shoot) both to see which feels better to you if you want the 45.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    I have an XDm in .45 (love it) as well as an XD in .40 (love it as well).
    I have to agree with most of the posts I see, try them both if you can but at least fondle them to see what feels best :):.
    They are both good choices so what ever is the most comfortable is the one you want.
    As for caliber, basically the same comment, whatever blows your skirt up 9, .40, .45 will all do what they are designed to to do.
    I am partial to the .40 and .45 over the 9 but that is just me.

That's my :twocents: worth

Last edited:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    M&P is a better design IMO because it has a lower bore axis. XD is a high quality, good lookin' gun, but it isn't for me. If they redign the XD to have a lower bore axis, I'd be first in line to buy one, but as it is, the extra snap slows follow up shots considerably.

I think Glock and M&P and PPQ all shoot the same though--best accuracy, low recoil, quick follow up shots. Glock and PPQ to me feel higher quality, although M&P has the best grip. I do like Glock's sights the best, but I hear you need a special tool to replace the front sight, so that might negate that advantage.

I like M&P best for a CC gun because they offer it with a safety, whereas Glock and PPQ do not. If I were to choose just based on build quality and design, I'd go with the PPQ. If I were to go with durability, probably the Glock would win. So it does depend on what features are most important to you, and of course the role of the gun.

For CC you should look at a Glock 26 or an M&P (safety optional) IMO. The shorter barrel has a shorter sight radius, which actually makes it quicker to aim for me.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    IMO they are both on the same playing field as far as price, reliability, and warranty. So if they both feel the same in comfort while handling them, then while handling them next do a "practice draw" of sorts and see which gun's sights line up better naturally for you. They have minor ergonomic differences that might have one or the other point better for your natural point of aim. The only other advice I have (which might have been said in here already) is the XD has a higher bore axis than the M&P so it might have a little more barrel rise after each shot.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Of the two, I really like the M&P. The XD/m is a fantastic weapon but there are parts about the design that I don't like. My M&Ps have always been incredibly reliable and accurate and if I weren't such a huge Glock fan I would be using my M&Ps more often.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    My vote goes to the M&P (I've been carrying/shooting the M&P9c since January and have about 1,200 rounds through it already. Not a single FTF or FTE), but you should handle both before choosing.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    You have to shoot them both to find out which fits you better. I don't like the way Glocks fit my hand, but I love the way my XDm does (which is why I have it). I have never shot an M&P, so I can't say anything on them other than so far it seems like the Glock fanboys prefer them M&P to the XD. If you like the way a Glock fits you maybe the M&P will be better for you. You won't get the gun that fits you best by asking others what they like, you have to handle them and see for yourself.

BillT8436

Plinker
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Try to shoot both. Boy what feels good. Glock has more options for modifications. Mag, sights, triggers, optics.

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    I really like my XDS, but I have to admit that the way Springfield Armory has handled this recall would seriously tip the balance in favor of S&W. I haven't had a problem with my S&W M&P 9 and their customer service seems to be better.

Top Bottom