Springfield XD 9mm Jammed & Stuck! Help!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    Sausagecake & I were at his property shooting yesterday evening having a great time. We took a break and after having a snack we decided we were losing day light so we would finish off the handgun ammo we brought with us.

Of course, I look down grab my empty Springfield XD9, carry it down to the targets, insert mag, rack the slide and I get through 15 rounds, on he 16th round this happens. (what are the odds, the 16th round)

View My Video <- Video of slide action

DSC01387_zps072c315a.jpg

DSC01391_zps410a62fb.jpg

DSC01392_zpsbbdd5618.jpg

DSC01397_zps3ca7e1ea.jpg

DSC01396_zps2d315b0d.jpg

Sorry about the last picture, I can't get the camera to focus on the inside of the mag well but you can see the brass casing there on the left.

A life round is stuck with a 1/4th of it sticking out of the chamber. I've done everything I feel I could safely do with it and as we lost all light we decided to travel home.

Has anyone had this happen? Is it possible the bullet some how got pushed farther into the casing and the brass bubbled out and now its "stuck" in the chamber?

The slide has VERY little play, just a slight click back and that sit. There is no way for me to remove it that I can see.
    Any help would be appreciated

This is the first issue I have had with this gun.

Last edited:

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    In this condition it's unlikely that the round will fire since the primer is not against the breechface or even lined up with the firing pin. BUT EXERCISE CAUTION ANYWAY, it is a live round!

Is the EXTRACTOR engaging the rim of the case? (It looks like it's not but it is hard to tell.)

If not, then you should be able to, with enough force, pull the slide back and lock it. Then you will be able to pull or pry the case out with a small tool. Of course be positive that you have the muzzle pointed in a safe direction and you are wearing eye protection.

If it is, for some reason the round has failed to go all the way into the chamber. Could be some blockage or debris. I'd be reluctant to try to "slam" it in because it might just get stuck tighter. So if the extractor is engaging the lip on the case, if you pull the slide back with enough force, it should pull the round out of the chamber and eject it. Again, use all necessary caution and wear eye protection. A pair of glove might help you grip and pull back the slide.

Either way that slide needs to come back. I have had this happen on a few occasions, usually due to an ammo problem like a bulging case or a bit of debris that got caught in between the round and the chamber.

Above all, BE SURE OF WHERE YOUR MUZZLE IS POINTING as you work on this. Assume it could fire and make sure if it does, nobody gets hurt!

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I had a slide lock up on a Para Ordnance 1911 before. The gunsmith had to lock the gun in a vise and beat on the slide with a rawhide mallet. The round in the Para was already fired so we didnt have to worry about a live round while beating on the slide. But id call springfield first before you beat on your gun with a mallet. Wouldnt want to break something and them not cover it under warranty.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Put the front of the slide on the edge of a table/bench, just the slide not the barrel. Keep your feet out from in front of the muzzle, push down on the grip forcing the slide open.

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    Stuck rnd

I had Wolf 9 mm lock up my Glk 19 like this. I pushed it against a tree and
    it came loose. Sold Wolf asap. Good luck My XDM in 9 and 45 never did this. Was your gun clean?

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Put the front of the slide on the edge of a table/bench, just the slide not the barrel. Keep your feet out from in front of the muzzle, push down on the grip forcing the slide open.

I'd try the above first. Another option would be if you have the room, insert a piece of brass flattened at the end and pry open.

I had a SOMEWHAT SIMILAR thing happen to my service sized XD. I found the XD's in 9mm to be shorter chambered than many other platforms... A reloaded RN profile I was using embedded into the rifling before the slide went fully into battery... It took enough prying to open it that it actually pulled the bullet out of the case...

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I had a vintage Norinco 9mm round tightly bind up the slide on my CZ 75. The crappy brass cracked and it wouldn't eject.

I smacked the back of the slide with my hand and kept TRYING to work the action. The split casing finally gave and it popped free.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    JWH20, certainly appreciate your help. Attached is the video of the slide action, I literally cannot force it either way.

Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Wow, that sure looks locked up. I suppose there is the possibility that something broke in the action and is jammed in there. But that just seems so unlikely on a gun like this.

Can you try pulling back on the slide more forcefully? I saw the other comments about using a mallet or a table edge but I don't particularly like either of those. Too easy to break the gun. I think the weak link here is the lip on the rim of the case or the hook on the extractor. If you pull hard enough either the round will come out, the lip will bend, or the extractor will break. In that order I suspect.

In the slide action about the only place for a foreign object to be is up in the area you can see with the magazine out. Can you shine a flashlight up there and see if you can locate anything that looks out of place? You might be able to remove it with pliers or tweezers.

I've never had one so tight that I wasn't able to get it out with a firm (ok VERY firm) rack of the slide. Again, try a pair of gloves, like those mechanics gloves, they give you a much better grip so your fingers don't slip.

I think it's unlikely you'll break the gun with muscle power, but if it's just a stuck round, once it's out the gun should be ok after you clean out what jammed it. If the action is broken and a part is jamming the works, then it's going to need service anyway. But you can't ship it anywhere with a live round in the chamber.

richwin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Lebanon
    I had this happen to my XDM 9mm and it was due to some reloaded ammo I had bought. I was all kinds of mad, and my Dad took and slammed it against a wooden post and the round popped out. I checked the rest of the ammo with just the barrel and there were several that were swelled and would not seat all the way in. Good luck as I know how frustrating this situation can be. By the way, my XDM took a beating and still works great.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    Got it!!!! While forcing the slide(not barrel) against a desk, and using my hand to pull back on the slide! Finally slowly ground its way out of the chamber.

The brass casing was very mushroomed from the bullet being seated so low. Not sure if it was forced in during cycling or originally like that.I'd like to think I'd have noticed it.

Thank you all for all of your help! Rep for all who responded.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Got it!!!! While forcing the slide(not barrel) against a desk, and using my hand to pull back on the slide! Finally slowly ground its way out of the chamber.

The brass casing was very mushroomed from the bullet being seated so low. Not sure if it was forced in during cycling or originally like that.I'd like to think I'd have noticed it.

Thank you all for all of your help! Rep for all who responded.

Glad you got it out!! Were these factory loads or reloads? I've never seen a factory load do that, but a reload, yep, I've seen it. Sometimes the bullet binds and mushrooms the case. In a factory setup they automagically measure every round, so you should never see this in that kind. But most reloaders don't do that.

Top Bottom