• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I think I'll have $2,000 to work with in the near future and I was wondering what everyone thought would be a good buy. I don't want another .223 AR. Or even 2 more .223 AR's. The only rifle that I would even consider in .223 is the Sig 556. If you have an idea for a great .223 rifle, let me know(like the MSAR 556). I wouldn't mind doing a combo rifle/pistol if you can get it under $2,000. (The pistol would have to be a sig) AK's are out as well. I couldn't buy one at $329 and I definately can't buy one at $400 and up:)

Here is my collection I lost due to a severe allergic reaction to Olestra.

Ar-10 (20 inch NM) .308
    Ar-15 Bushmaster .223
    Savage model 10 .308
    SKS 7.62x39
    11-87 12 ga
    10/22 Ruger .22
    M1A Standard .308
    M1A Loaded .308

So let's hear it! Spend my 2k.

Last edited:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Really? Are there many advantages over the standard ar-15? How about any problem areas? The ergonomics on it are amazing.

I'm not sure there are a lot of advantages over the AR15, but the trigger is really nice. I own a Smith and Wesson M&P15 AR and the trigger on that is vastly different than the SIG. Also, the SIG is front heavy, which is something I like. It seems to me to make it easier to get back on target after each shot.

As far as reliability, the SIG is a gas piston system like an AK. The rifle gives you the option of opening up the gas system to keep the rifle running in extreme conditions. This feature probably doesn't really have any real world implications for me, but it's nice to have.

A LEO friend of mine shot my SIG and he really liked it. He felt it was extremely accurate, though the rifle felt a lot different than his Rock River AR.

Only problem to speak of is that the brass gets kicked out of the SIG pretty hard. It banks off the side of the rifle on the way out and dings the finish somewhat. This is a trademark of the SIG 556.

The trigger is really smooth. And, don't forget it's a SIG -- which means it's easy on the eyes!

Good luck with your decision.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Galil sporters w/folders and bayo lugs are 599 bucks still! It's a sweet gun that will eat steel cased .223 to boot.

That leaves you 1300 bucks for more ammo and mags ;)

Deals can also be found on AK's if your patient. I picked up a SAR1 for 400 bucks from a private seller at the last crown point gun show. Since you've got 2 M1A's... can't say one of those, lol!

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    No question in my mind!
    If I had 2 grand to spend on a 223 rifle that is NOT an AR,
    TA-DAH!

Evolution .223 Camo

Introducing … the Volquartsen Evolution, our very first semi-auto, tack driving centerfire rifle. It’s a logical next step in our growth and a worthy addition to our line of world class custom firearms.

Like all Volquartsen custom firearms, we designed and manufacture the Evolution right by using our own CNC-machined stainless steel receivers, trigger guard, bolt and other exclusive precision parts as well as our own custom-rifled barrels. In time-tested .223 caliber or hot new .204 Ruger, Evolution is a gas-operated powerhouse that’s equally at home on a bench at your favorite range, or on the hunt for western prairie dogs, eastern woodchucks, or all-too universal coyotes. With an Evolution equipped with virtually any AR-15 magazine, you’re ready to start making a statement with headshots or x-rings at any distance.

Want to see what real centerfire performance is all about? Look for an Evolution at your local gun shop or shooting range. They’ll be everywhere soon.
    The camo .223 is the ultimate package. The entire set up (rifle, scope and rings) is finished in a Realtree Hardwood Green® camo pattern. This Evolution comes equipped with a Zeiss Conquest 4.5 × 14 mounted into a set of our CNC machined Nova Scope Rings.

Last edited:

mtk469

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Here are a couple of thoughts:

HK style PTR .308
    Sig P229 9mm/.40/.357 sig
    A Little ammo

FN Patrol .308
    Sig Pro 2022 9mm
    Sig 232 .380

Down Payment on a MP5:D

A bunch of ammo and Good optics if you need them for what you already have.

Matt

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Here are a couple of thoughts:

HK style PTR .308
    Sig P229 9mm/.40/.357 sig
    A Little ammo

FN Patrol .308
    Sig Pro 2022 9mm
    Sig 232 .380

Down Payment on a MP5:D

A bunch of ammo and Good optics if you need them for what you already have.

Matt

Great comments!!!! I just sold an HK copy.

MMMMMMMMMM. I'd love to have an MP5.

I need the optics but these won't be legislated out of existance. I want to build up my collection then customize it after the firearms I want are hard to find.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Buy a standard M1a, and ammo and mags. You can always ADD to the gun later. In 3 weeks you may not be ABLE to get it. If I bought another one I'd buy a standard and make plans to upgrade when I can shoot to its ability.

Top Bottom