• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wysko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Indy, West Side.
    Do you have a Spencer carbine/rifle replica?
    If so please tell me about it.
    Looks like it would be a fun shooter. Clever mechanical design + its history is quite interesting. Civil war, Fetterman massacre & battle of Beecher island come to mind. Did a search here on INGO but didn't get very many hits.

Why did you chose to buy a Spencer?
    What caliber?
    How well does it shoot, function?
    How many yards is it good for?
    Do you load your own ammo? If so what powder?
    Likes, dislikes.
    Anything you have to say about the Spencer would be interesting.

Thanks
    Mike

jamesb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have a Taylor's Armi Sport 1865 Spencer carbine in 45 schofield. Got it for CAS to shoot black powder. I use APP in it so I do not have to use a special BP lube, makes it easier since I use the same bullet I load my 45 colt with. They are very finicky on ammo length and how fast you operate the lever. I have had to do some extensive mods and work on it to get it to run in competition and even then if I run the lever too fast it will hang up, sometimes requiring me to drop the bolt out. The 45 schofield round is pretty weak and even with a full case of the APP it shoots a good deal low and 100 yards. For the ranges I use it for in CAS it is dead on. It is a blast to shoot and is always a head turner when I bring it out at matches. I will not win any speed matches but I make up for it is style points. Head over to the CASCITY forums, they have a board dedicated to the spencer shooting society. I go by Big Whiskey Jim over there. Lots of info on spencer. Also if you are looking to get one you can see what you may be in for.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I have an original rifle (not carbine) with a S&S center fire conversion block. Wood is replacement. It cost less than the reproductions, and was most likely originally issued to the 72nd Indiana (Wilder's Lightning Brigade unit) in early 1863. As mentioned above, it certainly is finicky about length and lever action, but practice can offset this mostly. Sometimes the extractor misses the cartridge rim, so I always carry a clearing tool made from a length of coat hanger wire hammered flat. Made some live rounds out of cut down 50-70 Govt cases (it can be VERY difficult to find No. 56 Spencer brass).
    Most for Civil War reenacting.
    What caliber?
    No. 56 Spencer (originally rimfire), actually 52 caliber
    After I got used to it, pretty well.
    Don't know yet - only fired blanks so far.
    Black powder, though I have Trail Boss for later reloads.
    Likes, dislikes.
    Actual history in your hand. Lots of cleaning needed, though not as hard to clean as a Sharps.
    Scared the **** out of the Rebs. They could use captured arms until the captured ammo ran out, not having the ability to make more. When Spencer armed units had to withdraw from action, it was usually because the ran out of ammo, not because the were outgunned or outnumbered. Issue muzzle loader = 3 shots/minute. Spencer = 30 shots/minute. The "assault rifle" of its day.
    Spencer avatar.jpg
    Spencer 008.jpg

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I have an original rifle (not carbine) with a S&S center fire conversion block. Wood is replacement, as is the magazine follower. It cost less than the reproductions, and was most likely originally issued to the 72nd Indiana (Wilder's Lightning Brigade unit) in early 1863. As mentioned above, it certainly is finicky about length and lever action, but practice can offset this mostly. Sometimes the extractor misses the cartridge rim, so I always carry a clearing tool made from a length of coat hanger wire hammered flat. Made some live rounds out of cut down 50-70 Govt cases (it can be VERY difficult to find No. 56 Spencer brass).

Most for Civil War reenacting.

What caliber?
    No. 56 Spencer (originally rimfire), actually 52 caliber

After I got used to it, pretty well.

Don't know yet - only fired blanks so far. Originals were supposed to be accurate out to 3-400 yards.

Black powder, though I have Trail Boss for later reloads.

Likes, dislikes.
    Actual history in your hand. Lots of cleaning needed, though not as hard to clean as a Sharps.

Scared the **** out of the Rebs. They could use captured arms only until the captured ammo ran out, not having the ability to make more. When Spencer armed units had to withdraw from action, it was usually because they ran out of ammo, not because they were outgunned or outnumbered. Issue muzzle loader = 3 shots/minute. Spencer = 30 shots/minute. The "assault rifle" of its day. Troops were actually instructed to remove the breech block and throw it away if capture was imminent.
    Spencer 009.jpg
    View attachment 26225

Last edited:
    Top Bottom