• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • g.mccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    New Whiteland
    Friday night I was driving down to Nashville to my sister's for Easter. On the south side of Louisville I got pulled over for doing 71 in a 55. I honestly didn't even know that I was in a 55. The whole way through Louisville, I had been getting blown by by other drivers speeding way faster that I was going. So when I got pulled over, I was completely supprised.

Seeing as the ticket is for 16mph over the limit, this would be 4 points on my license that I would rather not have. My only other speeding ticket was several years ago for 12 or 14 over. I am thinking that I want to figure a way to either fight this ticket or otherwise keep the points off my license. Anyone have any experience or words of wisdom on this matter?

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Fighting speeding tickets in court is hard to do successfully.

Better way would be to contact the prosecutor of that county and see if they have a diversion program.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Driver Safety Class. Cost you money but pulls points off your license (4 if I remember correctly). That is a route to go if they do not have a diversion program.

Gunsmoke 45

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Go to court and tell the judge that you weren't paying attention to the speed limit. That should work.

g.mccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    New Whiteland
    I will have to check into the diversion or safety class.

Gunsmoke, I assume from your comments that you've never gotten a speeding ticket and been upset?

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to preserve my driving record and avoid insurance increases.

jsquared1702

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Friday night I was driving down to Nashville to my sister's for Easter. On the south side of Louisville I got pulled over for doing 71 in a 55. I honestly didn't even know that I was in a 55. The whole way through Louisville, I had been getting blown by by other drivers speeding way faster that I was going. So when I got pulled over, I was completely supprised.

Seeing as the ticket is for 16mph over the limit, this would be 4 points on my license that I would rather not have. My only other speeding ticket was several years ago for 12 or 14 over. I am thinking that I want to figure a way to either fight this ticket or otherwise keep the points off my license. Anyone have any experience or words of wisdom on this matter?

Wow 4 points I never realized speeding tickets were that many. Is there any way to tell how many points are on a current license? Do they go down over time>

Gunsmoke 45

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I'm just trying to figure out the best way to preserve my driving record and avoid insurance increases.

Driving the speed limit would have probably been the best way. Sixteen miles per hour over the limit is a bit much. Pay your fine, and take your lumps.

kybares

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Here is what worked for me. Your mileage may vary. I got a ticket one county south of where you got yours. Where you got your ticket is in Jefferson County, and from about ten miles north of the bridge it is posted at 55mph, and does not go back up to 70 until you reach Bullit County. My point there is you really can't say I didn't realize it was a 55 zone. I went to court on the appointed date, and was amazed at the mass of people there. All they want for you to do is plead guilty or not guilty. If you plead guilty, they will set up another court date where you actually argue your case. When my name was called, I was asked if I were pleading guilty or not. My response was honest. I stated that I was guilty of speeding, but not guilty of speeding to the extent charged. The judge asked if I would agree to 5 mph over the posted limit, and I agreed. They got their money, I got a reduced fine, and fewer points. Hope it helps, and that you get a like minded, reasonable judge.

g.mccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    New Whiteland
    Here is what worked for me. Your mileage may vary. I got a ticket one county south of where you got yours. Where you got your ticket is in Jefferson County, and from about ten miles north of the bridge it is posted at 55mph, and does not go back up to 70 until you reach Bullit County. My point there is you really can't say I didn't realize it was a 55 zone. I went to court on the appointed date, and was amazed at the mass of people there. All they want for you to do is plead guilty or not guilty. If you plead guilty, they will set up another court date where you actually argue your case. When my name was called, I was asked if I were pleading guilty or not. My response was honest. I stated that I was guilty of speeding, but not guilty of speeding to the extent charged. The judge asked if I would agree to 5 mph over the posted limit, and I agreed. They got their money, I got a reduced fine, and fewer points. Hope it helps, and that you get a like minded, reasonable judge.

I was wondering about doing someting like that. I honestly never saw my speedometer go to 70.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I will have to check into the diversion or safety class.

Gunsmoke, I assume from your comments that you've never gotten a speeding ticket and been upset?

took mine online about 7 years ago. Had 6 points and I had to dump a few or lose my license.

Indiana Driver Safety Program - Online Course Home

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    Jefferson county ,Kentucky
    Has a "Traffic school" you can go to Cost is generally the same as the ticket cost ...4 hour class , you don't get any points on you , and your insurance company is not notified so they can charge you more for insurance ......lol

Good Luck :ingo:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    took mine online about 7 years ago. Had 6 points and I had to dump a few or lose my license.

Indiana Driver Safety Program - Online Course Home

Motorists who accumulate 18 or more active points during a two-year period will be notified and required to attend an administrative hearing conducted by the BMV. At the hearing, the presiding officer will make a determination whether to place the driver on probation; suspend the person’s driving privileges for 30 days to one year; or impose additional requirements beyond the order of probation or suspension such as requiring attendance at a BMV-approved Driver Safety Program.

Do you have a lead foot issue?

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Motorists who accumulate 18 or more active points during a two-year period will be notified and required to attend an administrative hearing conducted by the BMV. At the hearing, the presiding officer will make a determination whether to place the driver on probation; suspend the person’s driving privileges for 30 days to one year; or impose additional requirements beyond the order of probation or suspension such as requiring attendance at a BMV-approved Driver Safety Program.

Do you have a lead foot issue?

Used to until it started getting to expensive. Had 2 tickets totaling 6 pts in less than 3 mths. Got the letter in the mail to take the class or don't drive.

offroadking208

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    i got pulled over in Delaware county last year. said i was doing 72 in a 55, but i wasnt. not that it mattered, lol. The gentleman that pulled me over said he "clocked the group of vehicles i was traveling in at 72mph." i tried explaining that they probably were doing 72, because they PASSED ME, but that didnt matter. Long story short, i got a ticket for 70 in a 55 because he was going to "Do me a favor and bump it down." Called the Delaware county prosecutor and asked about the diversion program. I think i paid the ticket and the court costs, but if i didnt get pulled over for 6 months, it goes away. But be warned that if you do get pulled over again, you pay the original ticket AND the new one. AND the points from both go on your license. lol. Good luck tho

g.mccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    New Whiteland
    i got pulled over in Delaware county last year. said i was doing 72 in a 55, but i wasnt. not that it mattered, lol. The gentleman that pulled me over said he "clocked the group of vehicles i was traveling in at 72mph." i tried explaining that they probably were doing 72, because they PASSED ME, but that didnt matter. Long story short, i got a ticket for 70 in a 55 because he was going to "Do me a favor and bump it down." Called the Delaware county prosecutor and asked about the diversion program. I think i paid the ticket and the court costs, but if i didnt get pulled over for 6 months, it goes away. But be warned that if you do get pulled over again, you pay the original ticket AND the new one. AND the points from both go on your license. lol. Good luck tho

Does that count for out of state? If I paid the diversion for the Kentucky ticket, but later got a ticket in Indiana would it matter?

Top Bottom