• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I'm planning a trip down I65 and I75 to S.Florida. I've driven it once before so have some idea about my question, which is -- how fast can I go and not get a ticket?

Yeah, it varies by state, I know that. What's the least over the speed limit you've gone from Indy thru FL and gotten a ticket?

Thanks.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    If memory serves me right, Georgia still has a lot of 65mph zones and the area around Macon and Tifton has a bunch of speed traps. Other than that it's 74-78 the whole way.

Edit, also the area around Gainesville is usually thick with speed traps.

bmmyers08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Danville
    i was running 90-100 through north carolina this past summer. im sure if you get busted goin that fast you will be in trouble...but i found the leo's i ran into were in plain sight and gave me time to slow down...maybe im just really lucky? but thats about how i always drive on long trips.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Having made the trip recently, Tennessee and Georgia have stepped up their presence on the interstate in both marked and unmarked cars. They were very busy with stopped vehicles so I snuck through it all. Georgia is putting troopers on overpasses and tagging all traffic and then radioing in offenders and there is a pack of chase cars not far away. Valdosta Georgia is and has been a no play zone, the locals stop you and you're paying on the spot, they have a JOP or something on call and you get processed right then and there.
    Florida, if you're heading south and not running people off the road they ignore you. If you're heading north, they will nail you, they figure they have your tourist dollars already. Also in Florida if your vehicle looks overloaded and heading north, you just became suspicious and they will stop you and want to do a search, if you refuse and they can't find reasonable cause, they will call for a dog to sniff your vehicle from the exterior, any hit and they are processing a search warrant.

Have a safe trip, make your crossing of the Ohio River very early or very late to miss the cluster**** because of the bridge.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Having made the trip recently, Tennessee and Georgia have stepped up their presence on the interstate in both marked and unmarked cars. They were very busy with stopped vehicles so I snuck through it all. Georgia is putting troopers on overpasses and tagging all traffic and then radioing in offenders and there is a pack of chase cars not far away. Valdosta Georgia is and has been a no play zone, the locals stop you and you're paying on the spot, they have a JOP or something on call and you get processed right then and there.
    Florida, if you're heading south and not running people off the road they ignore you. If you're heading north, they will nail you, they figure they have your tourist dollars already. Also in Florida if your vehicle looks overloaded and heading north, you just became suspicious and they will stop you and want to do a search, if you refuse and they can't find reasonable cause, they will call for a dog to sniff your vehicle from the exterior, any hit and they are processing a search warrant.

Have a safe trip, make your crossing of the Ohio River very early or very late to miss the cluster**** because of the bridge.

I forgot about the bridge. If you are starting from Indy or north, might want to take I-74 from Indy to Cincy and hit I-75 in Cincy.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Just remember, most states are in need of money, and interstates are great places to make money, all under the guise of "safety".

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    If you do come down I 65, be very careful between Sellersburg and the Ohio river, that area is as infested with cops as much as any other part of the trip between Indy and Fla. It always seems the farther south in Georgia you get, the more cops there are. Be safe!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yeah, I was gonna say, "revenue enhancement". A radar detector can be your friend. I even use one around town.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Thanks for the tips.
    Yeah I went faster in FL and did see cops near Gainesville and I was most careful in GA.
    Typically I don't go that fast, mostly high 70s, and I do have a radar detector even going that slowly, sort of like a belt with suspenders.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    As good or better than a radar detector, a small CB radio is pretty handy on long interstate trips. Truck drivers tend to know faster routes, patterns in traffic conditions, and ways around the messes you run into. That, combined with the fact that most tend to keep an eye out and announce when a LEO is within sight or moving down the hi-way. Radar detectors are helpful, but a cheap radio will let you know almost as reliably, and give you the opportunity for some good conversation along the drive.

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I've heard of people doing 5-10 over and being ticketed. I think you have to be sensitive to local...opinion. People do 10-20 over on 465 regularly and 5 over is considered "slow." Just remember that if you're out-of-state you're more at the mercy of local LE. Doubt you'll be staying to fight a ticket in TN. I recently did a several thousand mile trip from IN to SC to FL back to IN. Going to SC I didn't see a cop for 500 miles. First one was a N Carolina ST Trooper. You might go all day and see one or two, but then you might see 2 or 3 in 100 miles.

I'd say a pretty safe rule of thumb is 5 over won't really get you noticed.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Here's what I generally do. I set my cruise at 76 until someone going 78-80 goes by. Then I reset the cruise to 78 and give them about a 300 yd lead. I figure they'll get pulled over, not me. I also like to find someone going my same speed and let them cover my back door by staying ahead of them by 100-200 yds or so.

In AL a couple of years ago on I65, I did this with 3 guys in a close pack going 83, although I don't usually go that fast. I gave them 300-400 yds and sped up to 83 myself. As I crested a hill, a state trooper was pulling out to pull over the last guy in line, not all 3, just the last guy. It pays to give that lead and not stay in a pack.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    When I went to Savanna Ga. this summer I couldn't keep up doing 80-85mph.
    I did pass a few burt it seems no matter how fast you are going you will get passed. Let us know how it works out for you.

revolvers&w

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Albany
    FIDO

I forgot about the bridge. If you are starting from Indy or north, might want to take I-74 from Indy to Cincy and hit I-75 in Cincy.

Just stay in the left lane from Sellersburg to Louisville avoid I65 south in this area between 7:00am and 9:00am and 5:00 pm to 6:00pm.
    Usually cover the 15 miles in about 20 mins.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Just stay in the left lane from Sellersburg to Louisville avoid I65 south in this area between 7:00am and 9:00am and 5:00 pm to 6:00pm.
    Usually cover the 15 miles in about 20 mins.
    Being from New Albany, I'd say you know.
    The Indy-Cincy-Atlanta route is an extra 40 miles and 45 minutes according to Rand-McNally. I'd be leaving Indy on the day before Thanksgiving. I'll try to reach the river by around 9 or 10 then. The last time I did this I got held up at the river for about 45 minutes. I may PM you in 3 weeks or so to see if that still sounds OK. Thanks.

Top Bottom