• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jtbriles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Outside the box
    I don't want to start a notify/do not notify argument, just making a comment.
    I was pulled over for speeding yesterday, about 19mph over the speed limit. When the officer approached and asked for my documents, I immediately informed him that I had a handgun and told him where it was located. He replied that I could leave it there and asked if I had my little pink card, which I had already started to remove from my wallet. He went back to his car and came back after a short time. He thanked me for being straight forward with him and for beng a responsible gun owner and for exercising my right to carry. He then gave me a verbal warning and asked me to slow down.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    did you say " I have a gun " before you handed him your pink card ?? And did you point it at him while your daughter may or may not have been in the car?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Some will say you got lucky. It's a risk you take.

Paying a ticket vs. being harassed, searched without cause, and everything else that has happened, not worth it to me.

I don't speed anyway.

jtbriles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Outside the box
    I don't think I've ever had a problem with it and it has happened several times unfortunately (or fortunately). This was just the first time that I was thanked to that extent. I guess if i have been lucky, I hope it continues.

John317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I haven't been pulled over in years (knocks on wood) so haven't had that situation but it's one i've thought through and I think you handled it how I would. i'd rather notify the officer than they see it and freak out... glad you didn't get a ticket,, would have thought 19 over would be a for sure ticket..

jtbriles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Outside the box
    Yeah thanks. I was due for a ticket and I thought for sure I would get one because it was Memorial day. I had just hit a speed zone and hadn't slowed down yet. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut...

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm not using my LTCH to get out of a ticket. If he wants to let me go, then great, but I'm not running the risk that I've drawn a jacked-up PTSD sufferer who's running on the edge. If he wants to know if I'm armed, he can ask.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    Do you think it would have went differently had you not informed? This is what always makes me curious, you introduced an element into the 2 way that would not have been introduced otherwise (at a risk) and do you believe that the outcome had anything to do with it?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    So the possible upside to notifying is that you might avoid getting something you actually deserved (traffic ticket.)

The possible downside is that you might just get far more than you deserved (disarmed, searched, threatened with violence, etc.)

Hmm... seems like a simple choice to me.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Jtbriles, if you don't mind telling, where exactly was your gun located? I mean, if it was in the glove compartment and your wallet was there, too, I can definitely see why you informed the officer. If it was in the trunk or even on your side and you could get to your wallet without exposing the gun, then I don't understand your reason to tell the officer you had a gun. After all, you were pulled over for speeding and not because you fit the description of an armed robber.

I just had a very interesting conversation with one of my fraternity brothers who is an ISP. Because of that conversation and others with LEOs close to me, I would NEVER tell an officer I am armed unless it was totally necessary. It's just not worth the trouble that some of my close friends have told me they put legal and law-abiding gun owners through.

jtbriles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Outside the box
    I know I don't have to inform an LEO that I am armed. I always have. If I was in their position, I think I would want to know as well. There was a chance my handgun could have been seen by the officer as I was retreiving my license and registration. I don't know if informing got me out of a ticket that I do feel I deserved. I was just pointing out the appreciation expressed to me by this particular officer on this particular occasion. I've never had a bad experience informing so I will continue to do so until I run into complications and am forced to reevaluate my stance. This is just my opinion and preference. No big deal, to each his own.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I don't want to start a notify/do not notify argument, just making a comment.

Kinda like saying "no offense" after making a crazy offensive comment? :dunno:
    If you didnt want to start an argument, why not just tack this story onto an existing thread?

I don't mind the discussion, it's the disclaimer that confuses me.

jtbriles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Outside the box
    Kinda like saying "no offense" after making a crazy offensive comment? :dunno:
    If you didnt want to start an argument, why not just tack this story onto an existing thread?

I don't mind the discussion, it's the disclaimer that confuses me.

Sorry my bad, I'll keep that in mind for next time:)

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I know I don't have to inform an LEO that I am armed. I always have. If I was in their position, I think I would want to know as well. There was a chance my handgun could have been seen by the officer as I was retreiving my license and registration. I don't know if informing got me out of a ticket that I do feel I deserved. I was just pointing out the appreciation expressed to me by this particular officer on this particular occasion. I've never had a bad experience informing so I will continue to do so until I run into complications and am forced to reevaluate my stance. This is just my opinion and preference. No big deal, to each his own.

I've never asked the officers on here how they would handle a situation like that. I assume they would all follow the law. However, I know a few officers that will quickly admit they will break the law and use "offier safety" as the reason. One of them even likes to remove the rounds and place the gun in the rear window.

Certainly to each his own, but i've been pulled over a few times and have never informed the officer. Also, I can report that I've not receied a ticket in over 15 years, if my member serves me correctly. Until something happens to change that, I will continue to leave police officers out of my business that doesn't concern them.

Oh yeah, I also make it a practive to remove my wallet before the officer gets to my car. That way there is no concern he will see my gun as I reach for my wallet.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Thanks for posting your interaction. I have not informed, but I always wonder what is the best course of action to take.

This thread will help me remember to slow it down so I don't have to make the decision of whether to inform or not.

Top Bottom