• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EM45HP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Indianapolis/Bloomington
    I'm curious to see if any of you guys speak or know how to translate to Tsalagi. I have a couple Cherokee Proverbs and quotes that I like, but I'd like them in the native language not English. I was hoping a member was familiar with the language and could give me some pointers and explain the syllabary chart to me.

syllabar.gif

That being said, I'm also curious as to how many of you speak a second language, or third, or fourth, etc. Or perhaps English is your second language. My step-mother, now an American citizen, was born in Bulgaria and speaks Bulgarian, limited conversational German and French, and English is her new primary language on top of that.

To those of you who do speak another language, where did you acquire this school? School? Family? Job training? Do any of you multilingual people speak a language other than English or multiple in your languages in the home? Those that moved from another country and had kids after settling in the US, have you/do you plan to teach your kids your native language?

Just up late doing homework and some thinking.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    Can't help you with your project but I do speak Spanish. Studied it in high school and went on to make it one of my majors in college. Has come in handy quite a few times. Haven't had the chance to study abroad which is what you really need to be fluent though.

I'll do my best to make sure my kids learn Spanish and therefore have the same advantage over the majority of the American workforce that I enjoy.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Can't help you with your project but I do speak Spanish. Studied it in high school and went on to make it one of my majors in college. Has come in handy quite a few times. Haven't had the chance to study abroad which is what you really need to be fluent though.

I'll do my best to make sure my kids learn Spanish and therefore have the same advantage over the majority of the American workforce that I enjoy.

Same here. I tested out of some Spanish classes, took a few more, and then realized that I was only a few classes away from a major so I ended up with two. I think it would be pretty cool to learn French, so that's my next goal.

OP, no help on the Cherokee. My barber in college spoke it but he disappeared off the Earth one day. I went in for a haircut and the other guy said he split town.

EM45HP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Indianapolis/Bloomington
    OP, no help on the Cherokee. My barber in college spoke it but he disappeared off the Earth one day. I went in for a haircut and the other guy said he split town.

My great-great-grandmother was full blooded Cherokee, I would have liked to have met her. I seem to be more into our Native American heritage than everyone else in the family, except my dad. I wish my barber was a Cherokee or could speak Tsalagi. I'd be getting a lot more haircuts. :):

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Anyone ever tried Rosetta Stone with any success?

Osiyo!

Cherokee.org has an awesome online language class that's completely free. Ed Fields is a fantastic instructor and as far as I know he's still the one doing it. I need to get back into at as well as I haven't participated in years. I think the new schedule doesn't come out until April though. You should check it out. I'm going to do my best to get back into it this year too as it's a huge part of my ancestry.

Edit: if you want to PM me I may be able to help you out with the translation.

EM45HP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Indianapolis/Bloomington
    Osiyo!

Cherokee.org has an awesome online language class that's completely free. Ed Fields is a fantastic instructor and as far as I know he's still the one doing it. I need to get back into at as well as I haven't participated in years. I think the new schedule doesn't come out until April though. You should check it out. I'm going to do my best to get back into it this year too as it's a huge part of my ancestry.

Edit: if you want to PM me I may be able to help you out with the translation.

Thanks a lot man, I'm out of rep but I'll hit you when I'm re-upped. I'm PMing you now.:rockwoot:

Top Bottom