• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Listening to a good P&S modcast with some guys who really have BTDT and thought one question they covered in particular would be interesting to float here. I am sure not everyone will want to watch though I think I got it to start at the correct time stamp it is still pretty detailed. Basically it is as the title states. If you don't want to carry a whole bat belt, for you would it be better to carry a spare mag or pepper spray? I will answer first. In the past it would have been and was, a spare mag. Now, for a number of reasons such as not wanting to have to fight, I am going with pepper spray instead of a spare mag. If you get a chance give a listen to what the experts have to say, but even if you don't let us know what you think?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I like the last guy's argument about resetting the gun after the fight. Making ready for the trip home.

I'm biased though. I have always carried a double mag pouch opposite of my pistol. The rig seems to balance well, on top of providing hip protection. ;)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Based on most experiences, (3x3 for example) you are more likely to need a less lethal than an extra mag. Just playing the odds.

I also stack the deck and keep an extra mag in my car's center console and have extra mags readily available at home. While not on my person, that extra mag that I MIGHT need to top off is nearby.

For me the likelihood that I'll need a second mag is far less than the need to diffuse a lesser threat with a toot of "vitamin P" to avoid needing to draw down that first mag in the first place.

YMMV.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I like the last guy's argument about resetting the gun after the fight. Making ready for the trip home.

I'm biased though. I have always carried a double mag pouch opposite of my pistol. The rig seems to balance well, on top of providing hip protection. ;)
    If you can/want to carry it all, cool. Nothing wrong with that at all. I am guessing that is the minority of people.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I carry an extra mag and pepper spray always. If I was forced to choose only one though I’d choose the extra mag. I can always use my hands in a non-life threatening situation instead of pepper spray, but I can’t use pepper spray in place of more ammo in a life threatening situation.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I carry OC spray always and everywhere. I carry a spare mag very rarely. Like almost never.

I figure the odds of needing a less than lethal tool are exponentially higher than the odds of needing a spare mag.

That said, I should carry a spare mag more often. I don't like having a ton of stuff on my belt. I have a couple of the Blackhawk double stack mag carriers, but they are so bulky. If I had something more streamlined I might wear a spare mag on the belt line more often. I do also wear Vertx pants almost exclusively these days with the rear yoke pockets which make carrying an extra mag off the belt easy, but I generally use the one on my weak side for my phone so it's not in my front pants pocket.

My OC spray is on my key ring so no need for space on the belt for that one.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If you can/want to carry it all, cool. Nothing wrong with that at all...

It's mainly just practice for me. So that nothing is odd or out of place to carry for the worst.

...I also stack the deck and keep an extra mag in my car's center console and have extra mags readily available at home. While not on my person, that extra mag that I MIGHT need to top off is nearby.

For me the likelihood that I'll need a second mag is far less than the need to diffuse a lesser threat with a toot of "vitamin P" to avoid needing to draw down that first mag in the first place.

I do just the opposite. Mags on me in or out of the car, and a Palm spray in the console.

The Palm can clip to any pocket when I get out of the car, if it looks like a crowded environment awaits.

I also like the Palm in the consoles because in the car or truck I might be trapped in traffic or pinned in otherwise. Random approachers, who aren't supposed to be there, can be met with the squirt or the threat of it.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The number one reason why you need a spare magazine for your defensive pistol, is not to have more ammo, it's to fix your gun.
    Most pistol malfunctions come from a magazine malfunction.
    The fastest way to clear a magazine malfunction is to change the entire magazine.

It's just like a spare tire in your car, you don't need to plan to travel thousands of miles to need it.
    Without it your car is useless if you have a flat tire.

You don't need to plan a long gun fight to need a spare mag.

It doesn't matter how many rounds you have in your magazine.
    You need an extra mag for the extra mag, not for the extra ammo.
    You carry a 1911 with a 7 rounds mag? You need an extra mag.
    You carry a Glock 19 with 15 rounds mag? You need an extra mag.

Magazines do/will break.

If that happens to you, and you don't have a spare mag, you're now carrying a single shot pistol.

20180309_070254-resize-jpg.392897

In this case (pic above) a magazine floor plate failure with a Glock mag.

Your can of pepper spray is not going to fix your firearm. :dunno:

Asking yourself if you need to carry pepper spray or a spare mag is like asking "Should I carry a spare tire or a first aid kit in my car?".
    They both have different functions, one cannot replace the other and you should probably have both.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    The number one reason why you need a spare magazine for your defensive pistol, is not to have more ammo, it's to fix your gun.
    Most pistol malfunctions come from a magazine malfunction.
    The fastest way to clear a magazine malfunction is to change the entire magazine.

It's just like a spare tire in your car, you don't need to plan to travel thousands of miles to need it.
    Without it your car is useless if you have a flat tire.

You don't need to plan a long gun fight to need a spare mag.

It doesn't matter how many rounds you have in your magazine.
    You need an extra mag for the extra mag, not for the extra ammo.
    You carry a 1911 with a 7 rounds mag? You need an extra mag.
    You carry a Glock 19 with 15 rounds mag? You need an extra mag.

Magazines do/will break.

If that happens to you, and you don't have a spare mag, you're now carrying a single shot pistol.

20180309_070254-resize-jpg.392897

In this case (pic above) a magazine floor plate failure with a Glock mag.

Your can of pepper spray is not going to fix your firearm. :dunno:

Asking yourself if you need to carry pepper spray or a spare mag is like asking "Should I carry a spare tire or a first aid kit in my car?".
    They both have different functions, one cannot replace the other and you should probably have both.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I carry OC spray always and everywhere. I carry a spare mag very rarely. Like almost never.

I figure the odds of needing a less than lethal tool are exponentially higher than the odds of needing a spare mag.

That said, I should carry a spare mag more often. I don't like having a ton of stuff on my belt. I have a couple of the Blackhawk double stack mag carriers, but they are so bulky. If I had something more streamlined I might wear a spare mag on the belt line more often. I do also wear Vertx pants almost exclusively these days with the rear yoke pockets which make carrying an extra mag off the belt easy, but I generally use the one on my weak side for my phone so it's not in my front pants pocket.

My OC spray is on my key ring so no need for space on the belt for that one.
    You mentioned if you had a better way to carry a spare mag you would like to...

May I suggest looking at a NeoMag. I haven't left the house without one for the past four and a half years. It is a pocket carry method and the pocket clip just looks like a knife. I absolutely love it. Personally I think the price is very fair given the versatility it offers. They come in 3 sizes. The one for 9mm will fit any 9mm or .40 single or double stack mag, as long as it is at least metal lined. Way more cost effective than the mag specific kydex formed mag carriers. They offer the type G specific for Glock mags that have 2 magnets instead of one to accommodate the polymer mag body. They offer a standard pocket clip as well as an extended clip. It keeps the mag right where you want it for easy accessibility. If you have room in your pocket and that is an option you'd consider, I suggest checking them out.

I also love the echo mag carrier by Tulster. I carry it IWB and it is very comfortable to me. They are also pretty versatile as well, as far as multiple compatibility. Although they have seperate models for single or double stack mags, but for there wide range of compatibility I think they are very fairly priced as well.

Sorry for the unsolicited sales pitch...but just figured I'd offer a couple options that I personally use every day, in case you were interested.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Carry both. Why limit the tools to save your life? We all carry keys, wallet, folding blade knives, cellphone, and wear clothes with pockets to carry that stuff. Also a tactical flashlight with a sharpened bezel!
    Trades people carry their toolbox to build/repair things. Carry yours too!

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I don't carry pepper spray. I always have at least one spare mag with me or close by. I would consider OC spray if I thought I was going to run into a dog that might need persuading to not engage. I have seen too many videos where OC spray has little to no effect on a determined individual. By the time you find that out it might be too late to deploy a firearm. I also think if someone is threatening you to the point that you would use OC spray, then pulling a firearm wouldn't be much of a stretch to be considered reasonable. I have also seen quite a few encounters from LE where the person deploying the Spray is also affected by it. LE use it as a less lethal way of gaining compliance or protecting themselves while trying to detain or arrest someone. Less lethal for me will be pulling my firearm and them backing away and I don't have to shoot them to protect myself or someone else.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Interesting topic, and one I didn’t expect to see so many differing opinions about. For me, it’s the spare mag. My experience with OC spray is that it’s not super effective at stopping aggression quickly. For me it comes down to my (perceived) ability to avoid and de-escalate confrontations. I just don’t expect to be in too many hand-to-hand situations in my free time. Plus, a spare magazine is pretty much mandatory in my mind since it’s the most likely failure point in a modern pistol. Good to read opposing views!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I also think if someone is threatening you to the point that you would use OC spray, then pulling a firearm wouldn't be much of a stretch to be considered reasonable.
    I would challenge you to reconsider this line of thought. There are plenty of scenarios where it might be beneficial to hose someone down with OC spray but don't warrant deadly force.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Definitely scenarios where OC would end it and not require a firearm. Lots of scenarios,really. Probably more than you would ever face that require a gun.

I carry with an appendix sidecar on my main carry gun so I always have an extra mag and its convenient but with other carry guns, I'll either put one on my belt or use a neomag.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I don't carry pepper spray. I always have at least one spare mag with me or close by. I would consider OC spray if I thought I was going to run into a dog that might need persuading to not engage. I have seen too many videos where OC spray has little to no effect on a determined individual. By the time you find that out it might be too late to deploy a firearm. I also think if someone is threatening you to the point that you would use OC spray, then pulling a firearm wouldn't be much of a stretch to be considered reasonable. I have also seen quite a few encounters from LE where the person deploying the Spray is also affected by it. LE use it as a less lethal way of gaining compliance or protecting themselves while trying to detain or arrest someone. Less lethal for me will be pulling my firearm and them backing away and I don't have to shoot them to protect myself or someone else.
    Good conversation. While I can't say there is a right or wrong answer, I definitely disagree with your reasoning. You have to have something in between a harsh word and a gun. For many that may be H2H but a lot of people are too old or small or infirm or unskilled to go that route. I think OC can be a reasonable less than lethal option in many cases. I have not used it hundreds of times like Mr. Bolke in the video, but I have used it in excess of a dozen times and the only time it failed completely was on a drugged up temporarily out of prison beast. It took 5 of us to subdue him. Basically one each on arms and legs and one applying a LVNR, so I really can't fault the OC. I will agree that it is not the perfect answer, but it may be a good one. I know I have provided it for my wife and daughter and given them training on it.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Good timing for this video to come out today. This is one of those real murky scenarios where no option is likely a good one, but probably doesn't rise to the level where lethal force is warranted. I'd sure want to be carrying an OC spray if I was anywhere near this goat rope.

Randy Harris

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Yeah you really can't legally pull guns on people who are only threatening you with non lethal violence. Pepper spray is non lethal and can be used as "jackass repellant". Pulling your pistol on an aggressive panhandler who just won't leave you alone is not warranted.

I've been carrying both a spare mag and OC for 20+ years now. The OC I carry (Fox Labs 11gram container) is smaller than the spare mag is. No real need to have to pick one or the other to carry. Mag goes on belt, OC goes in pocket.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom