• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I would be curious as to who did the study and what their affiliations are (i.e. who sponsored their research). A child suffers far worse trauma playing a friendly game of dodgeball than when he is spanked by a responsible parent.

EDIT: having looked at the fine print, I saw that it was the American Academy of Pediatrics who attached their name and copyright to the study, though the data was from a separate survey (National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions). Their page at Healthychildren.org shows that they already have a previous stance on spanking .

Last edited:

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    I would be curious as to who did the study and what their affiliations are (i.e. who sponsored their research). A child suffers far worse trauma playing a friendly game of dodgeball than when he is spanked by a responsible parent.

EDIT: having looked at the fine print, I saw that it was the American Academy of Pediatrics who attached their name and copyright to the study, though the data was from a separate survey (National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions). Their page at Healthychildren.org shows that they already have a previous stance on spanking .

AGREED !!! These are the same people who classify children as "ADHD" because it's "BILLABLE" :xmad:

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Reality

Wait...so you're asserting that maybe they have an agenda publishing this study? Shocked I am...shocked!

Yet those in the MSM will parrot this "study" as the gospel truth and intimidate parents into thinking they're hurting little Johnny and little Janey when they appropriately spank their child; with the result being be a bunch of narcissistic little a-hole children running around thinking that the world revolves around them. Well, at least these children will be uniquely qualified to be "journalists!"

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You are correct in that the article doesn't make a distinction between discipline and punishment.

They don't even acknowledge the fact that some children with no discipline go on to become really bad adults. Or at least they didn't bother to check when writing the article.

I know of a young man who was never disciplined or spanked - ever. He pretty much could do no wrong in the eyes of his mother. Sometime she would take away a toy or confine him to his room if he was really bad, but it never was for more than a few moments. When even his public school teachers and councilors recognized this they warned his mother about what would happen years from then. They told her that he was probably going to be a criminal if his behaviour continued unabated. Of course the mother flipped out. Guess where that young man is now? That's right, in and out of prison since he's been 16 or so. He's probably 36 now. Inmate locator says he's serving a 10 year stretch for drug dealing in New Castle penitentiary. He'll get out and do it again.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I heard this tidbit on WIBC yesterday. At least the newsreader commented that the study didn't differentiate between a spanking and a punch in the face.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I read this article yesterday,and if I remember correctly,24 countries in the world have made spanking illegal.Woe be unto the individual,government or any entity that would try to interfere with the proper upbringing of my children.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Doctors agree, hitting people can cause mental and physical harm.

More at 11.

2606848635_e807c891dd.jpg

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Could it be that these people are trying to force people into training their children to respond positively to Pavlovian conditioning so that they reach adulthood already conditioned to be subservient as a means to receive rewards or avoid the denial of such which is much easier for a government to manage by cutting the check or not rather than having to apply actual direct punishments to breaking realistic laws in classic sense of criminal justice?

Caldad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    absurd!

I have an adult son that has developed mental health issues as he's aged, and I never spanked him a single time. I used to wonder if I had spanked him growing up, if it would have toughened him up, and helped him be able to deal with "life" better. After unintentionally breaking other peoples bones on three different occasions play fighting as a kid, I decided unlike my dad I'd never spank my child.

When people see something troublesome in their children, we tend to ask ourselves what could we have done so the undesirable thing/trait wouldn't have occurred. Not everything is in our control, or our fault as parents. In most cases, mental health isn't the result of poor parenting skills... especially discipline.

Top Bottom