• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Just wondering what did you think would be a good idea for options on a Handgun? particular sights, finish, slide cuts?

Trying to put together a list of things and weigh cost to benefit.

Thanks

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Be if it’s on a gun like you are wanting is all in “What you want”.
    Sights are again what works for you.
    Serations are how do you work the slide. Do you grasp the front to work it or the back or both.
    Grips/magwell....again a personal preference. I put magwell a on everything to extend the length of the grip to fill my hand better. Personal stuff.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I'd really need to know what the prime purpose would be to have any suggestions at all. What I want for an IDPA pistol, is different that I want for USPSA or Steel challenge and certainly different than what I want for concealed carry or hunting would completely different than all the above.
    --Rick

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I'd really need to know what the prime purpose would be to have any suggestions at all. What I want for an IDPA pistol, is different that I want for USPSA or Steel challenge and certainly different than what I want for concealed carry or hunting would completely different than all the above.
    --Rick
    EDC trying not to make costly mistakes
    , or at least get the best bang for the buck. I like the idea of Ghost ring sight in theory, but I have never had a set on anything. As far as slide top groves, they look nice, but is there a legitimate reason for them, other than appearance?

ccha8778

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2019
    The Region
    I think you need to provide more application information. What is your application (bedside/home gun, cc gun - if cc then how to you want to carry i.e. pocket carry, waistband, purse/bag, etc.). Also, do you prefer guns with an external safety, no safety, etc. I own Kimber, Ruger, and Beretta handguns in various sizes and calibers .

Sight wise I'm a big fan of night sights, there are various quality brands there.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    EDC trying not to make costly mistakes
    , or at least get the best bang for the buck. I like the idea of Ghost ring sight in theory, but I have never had a set on anything. As far as slide top groves, they look nice, but is there a legitimate reason for them, other than appearance?

Top serrations are just a trim package thing. again personal preferences.

Do not "Overthink" this just to save a few dollars here or there. Get what you want not just what you need. Sounds like you do not want everything so you should be pretty safe in your selections. I have never seen a set of Ghost rings (as I understand them) on a 1911. Look at Meprolites. A solid set of night sights are great on a nightstand gun. Lets you find it with ease in the dark.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Top serrations are just a trim package thing. again personal preferences.

Do not "Overthink" this just to save a few dollars here or there. Get what you want not just what you need. Sounds like you do not want everything so you should be pretty safe in your selections. I have never seen a set of Ghost rings (as I understand them) on a 1911. Look at Meprolites. A solid set of night sights are great on a nightstand gun. Lets you find it with ease in the dark.

https://fusionfirearms.com/1911-ghost-ring-tritium-rear-fixed-night-sight

Looks interesting, but sure about it?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Well that is special. I can see a positive in this but not in an everyday carry application. At least not for me. But again....personal preferences. Until you try how do you know.

Guess trying to figure it out is part of the fun. I may end up going high visibility front sight combined with a 10/8 plain wide notch sight. That seems to be the sweet spot for me.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Just wondering what did you think would be a good idea for options on a Handgun? particular sights, finish, slide cuts?

Trying to put together a list of things and weigh cost to benefit.

Thanks

You say in a later post that this is for EDC.

I suggest choose a finish that you can live with it getting worn and dinged.
    For sights, something you can shoot well in all light conditions.
    For slide cuts, personal preference.

For cost, spend no more than is absolutely necessary to get a dependable pistol that you can shoot well.
    Remember, it's for EDC, and if you ever have to use it for self defense, the police will take it, and it could be many months, years or even never that you get it back.
    And the MORE money you have in it, the more it will eat at you that you property was taken, not returned, and you weren't compensated.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You say in a later post that this is for EDC.

I suggest choose a finish that you can live with it getting worn and dinged.
    For sights, something you can shoot well in all light conditions.
    For slide cuts, personal preference.

For cost, spend no more than is absolutely necessary to get a dependable pistol that you can shoot well.
    Remember, it's for EDC, and if you ever have to use it for self defense, the police will take it, and it could be many months, years or even never that you get it back.
    And the MORE money you have in it, the more it will eat at you that you property was taken, not returned, and you weren't compensated.

And this is why 1 size will not fit all needs especially in a semi-custom 1911. People tend to over think it and want something for all occasions. If that is the case buy the Ruger.....put some sights on it and move forward.

I have some very nice pieces that neer see EDC just because I have no trust in the system. None.

Last edited:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    And this is why 1 size will not fit all needs especially in a semi-custom 1911. People tend to over think it and want something for all occasions. If that is the case buy the Ruger.....put some sights on it and move forward.

I have some very nice pieces that neer see EDC just because I have no trust in the system. None.

Yes. ^^^^^
    I too have some nice to me, more expensive pistols I don't EDC, because of the same lack of trust in the system you speak of.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011

Ok not to sound ignorant, but I really like my Ruger Lightweight Cmd Style, I have changed out Grips added Mag Well. It has been reliable as all get out. But the big thing I can consistently hit my target well beyond self distances. The only thing I would change are the sights.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to put some rounds through a Custom piece and a Colt Delta elite. They were stout in recoil but not the hand cannon I was expecting. To be hone I did not care for the trigger on the custom one, for me it was way too light.

I have it narrowed down to the Ruger and the Fusion both would be well below budget and i think I would really enjoy either of them.

I know this might sound silly but I am kind of a no frills person, and I think it would eat at me if I spent more than I was comfortable.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ok not to sound ignorant, but I really like my Ruger Lightweight Cmd Style, I have changed out Grips added Mag Well. It has been reliable as all get out. But the big thing I can consistently hit my target well beyond self distances. The only thing I would change are the sights.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to put some rounds through a Custom piece and a Colt Delta elite. They were stout in recoil but not the hand cannon I was expecting. To be hone I did not care for the trigger on the custom one, for me it was way too light.

I have it narrowed down to the Ruger and the Fusion both would be well below budget and i think I would really enjoy either of them.

I know this might sound silly but I am kind of a no frills person, and I think it would eat at me if I spent more than I was comfortable.

It is your funds. So by all means do what's comfortable. The Fusion you describe is more than adequate for your desires/needs. Heck the Ruger is as well. With an out of the box 1911 hitting a standard steel silhouette at 50 yds should not be that hard. But in this the trigger you did not like actually ads to the accuracy of the pistol. You will not push the nose around near as much with a well tuned trigger. And the tune does not have to be fly fart lite either. A very clean/crisp 4# break is and can be amazing.

Proper trigger discipline and a solid grip are the key. I use the very 1st pad on my trigger finger. Not the joint as I have seen so many do.

No you did not come off arrogantly in the least. If you are living in a 6# gritty trigger world a custom piece is a bit scary at 1st.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    It is your funds. So by all means do what's comfortable. The Fusion you describe is more than adequate for your desires/needs. Heck the Ruger is as well. With an out of the box 1911 hitting a standard steel silhouette at 50 yds should not be that hard. But in this the trigger you did not like actually ads to the accuracy of the pistol. You will not push the nose around near as much with a well tuned trigger. And the tune does not have to be fly fart lite either. A very clean/crisp 4# break is and can be amazing.

Proper trigger discipline and a solid grip are the key. I use the very 1st pad on my trigger finger. Not the joint as I have seen so many do.

No you did not come off arrogantly in the least. If you are living in a 6# gritty trigger world a custom piece is a bit scary at 1st.

I asked him it has a 3.5 pound pull. I think Grip is why I do not care for a Bobtail? I like the extra bit in my hand. I am leaning real hard towards the Fusion. I really like the simplicity of the slide, its a price I can live with, trying not to over think it but it may be too late for that. Even though the funds are there its still a food chunk of money.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I asked him it has a 3.5 pound pull. I think Grip is why I do not care for a Bobtail? I like the extra bit in my hand. I am leaning real hard towards the Fusion. I really like the simplicity of the slide, its a price I can live with, trying not to over think it but it may be too late for that. Even though the funds are there its still a food chunk of money.

This is why I really like a magwell on my 1911's. It completely fills my hand.

I set my triggers @3.5# for me personally. I am used to that. But as stated if you are coming from a Ruger (terrible triggers) to a tuned unit I can see how that might be unsettling at 1st. The fusion will (Or should have) a crisp break. Just ease into its use.

Top Bottom