• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    My son called me from the range this morning. Not your average range and not your average shoot. He was training on the Mk 19 40mm grenade launcher. He called because he knew I would want to at least hear it in action. As we talked, he said "OK, listen to this"....chug, chug, chug, chug, chug. Sounded like bring'in the serious hate. I asked if it was fun and in a typical 21 year old soldier fashion he responded "F*^%ing A right it is Dad." I would have given anything to have been there this morning.

Dirty Steve

Last edited:

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Yes they are fun. Check out the helicopter in my avatar, a poor photo of a Vietnam era nose turret mounted 40mm grenade launcher. Like pointing a hose as you see the rounds fly!

Last edited:

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    You only get 400 meters out of a 203 launcher. The Mark 19 gives you a 2000 meter range. Make DARN sure you don't unlink any MK19 ammo and try to fire it in your 203....

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Sounds like great fun!

Oh... wait... Nobody NEEDS a 40mm grenade launcher, especially not those 'evil Americans'! Ahhhhhh...!!! :runaway:

Oh wait, I'M one of those 'evil Americans'! Never mind, carry on... :thumbsup:

JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Very cool but I have to say if I was the NCOIC of that range I would have torn him apart for being on the phone while on my range.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    .GOV said you can't trust the boy to buy handgun ammo before his 21st birthday, but Uncle Sam said it was ok to give him a belt fed 240B and tell him to rock on. Always enjoy getting calls from my son when he's rocking the hardware.

Dirty Steve

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    I tell my boys there were days when I thought, " man I'm gettin' paid to do this?"

Very cool that your son called you!

Pappy

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Very very cool! Reminds of a time at an Elkhart gun range years ago. I was shooting and next to me was a father and his daughter. She was shooting what I was, a Beretta 92 FS. And she was **mn good! Her dad tells me that 'you should see her other gun'. Turns out she was on leave from her job in the Army as a helicopter door gunner!

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Yes they are fun. Check out the helicopter in my avatar, a poor photo of a Vietnam era nose turret mounted 40mm grenade launcher. Like pointing a hose as you see the rounds fly!

My dad was a crew chief/door gunner on a B model in Vietnam. He talked a little bit about those nose mounted 40's. Said they were neat but shook the hell out go the airframe!

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    My dad was a crew chief/door gunner on a B model in Vietnam. He talked a little bit about those nose mounted 40's. Said they were neat but shook the hell out go the airframe!

This reminds me of a story a Tech Sergeant told me while we were on Alert and burning time sitting in the Maintenance Van on the flightline in the UK in '76.

Turns out some collective bored minds on Tan Son Nhut decided to upload 5 ea 20mm gun pods on an F-4c. The result was that the pilot couldn't do more than 3 second bursts because the recoil would kill his forward momentum. I would have loved to have heard that !

Top Bottom