Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    Summary
    Considering getting a truck again.

Looking at roughly 2014-2018 or so Toyota Tundra or Ford F150 4x4 crew cabs.

Thoughts on F150s vs Tundras?

Details
    I'm cool with either the 4.6 or 5.7 Toyota (not sure what years each were available). Ford I'm looking for a 5.0.

I'm not hauling a cattle trailer or anything so not overly concerned about towing capacity. At most, I'll be on some backroads in the state land by me, hauling stuff from Menards, and very occasionally pulling a small trailer. For me, like most people, having a truck is kind of a choice/luxury item.

I want the Tundra, but I know F150s are good trucks too (and considerably cheaper). I know the Fords can rust bad but I plan on going down to the Dallas area or somewhere else down South to buy whatever I get, so not overly concerned about rust. Seems like Fords have more transmission issues sometimes.

Thanks!

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    I'd go with the Tundra with the 5.7 between the 2 you mentioned. Me personally would go with a Ram with the 5.7 Hemi but I'm a spoiled Mopar man. My 2015 1500 has 186k miles and she runs strong, no rust, no oil leaks and she will fly when made to.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    I'd go with the Tundra with the 5.7 between the 2 you mentioned. Me personally would go with a Ram with the 5.7 Hemi but I'm a spoiled Mopar man. My 2015 1500 has 186k miles and she runs strong, no rust, no oil leaks and she will fly when made to.
    Not a Mopar guy but they do seem like a good value and are pretty popular.

I did like my old Dodge with the 318 but that was a million years ago.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    2015+ F150s have an aluminum body, so no rust there. I had a '16 F150 and was happy with it, now in a '19 Ram.

Not a fan of the Tundra's exterior or interior styling but a good friend has had a few and swears by then...

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I have a 2017 Tacoma that I have been very happy with. Works perfect for a city boy that occasionally uses it as a truck. Great reliability similar to the Honda products we have been running for the last couple decades.

Always been a fan of choosing the larger engine when shopping for vehicles. My theory is less stress than an underpowered engine means longer life.

Top Bottom