• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yeah, not sure what it is with Meijer, but my daughter does all of her grocery shopping there, and for the last couple of years has been telling us they were out of common stuff, one week it was applesauce, then toilet paper, then canned green beans, and so on. We shop Kroger every week, and they were never out, or even running low on the stuff Meijer didn’t have.
    The Meijer in Heartland Crossing is ALWAYS out of chicken. They fill the case in the AM and then apparently dont touch it until the next AM. Because if we go after dinner, some nights there is ZERO "fresh" chicken. If we make the trek to Plainfield, its OK. And the first time I did that, I got up early and go there by 8. Meat cases were overflowing. On a whim I stopped by the HC store. Sure enough, they had plenty, but it was still before 10. I had to go back out at 5 to grab something I forgot I needed to make dinner, and sure enough, the case was mostly empty.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Different store. . . Meijer.

Took the wife to Meijer yesterday and she said certain products had limits on them, sounded like no more than two of certain items. Shelves not full.
    Been like that at the Portage Meijer for months now.

Frozen taters (French fries, hashbrowns, etc) have been pretty non-existent. Noodles and sauces are thin. This past week they didn't have pickles. For awhile chicken breasts and whole chicken were not to be found. Those are back in stock again.

Some of the things missing or low on just seem odd

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Frozen taters (French fries, hashbrowns, etc) have been pretty non-existent. Noodles and sauces are thin. This past week they didn't have pickles. For awhile chicken breasts and whole chicken were not to be found. Those are back in stock again.

Problem at Stracks with some items.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

That is everywhere it seems. Even Walmart. Ive started buying bags whether I need them or not to put in the deep freeze, because I know they probably wont be there when I actually want to make them.

I've named it the covid potato famine. LOL

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    The Meijer in Heartland Crossing is ALWAYS out of chicken. They fill the case in the AM and then apparently dont touch it until the next AM. Because if we go after dinner, some nights there is ZERO "fresh" chicken. If we make the trek to Plainfield, its OK. And the first time I did that, I got up early and go there by 8. Meat cases were overflowing. On a whim I stopped by the HC store. Sure enough, they had plenty, but it was still before 10. I had to go back out at 5 to grab something I forgot I needed to make dinner, and sure enough, the case was mostly empty.
    I've not had this issue there. We usually don't hit meijer until after dark, and almost always on the weekend.

That said, I haven't seen thighs for a while, but they almost always have legs and breasts in the large trays.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Well I hope it’s just a software issue for the 150 limit but on the other hand I am seeing more limits on the amount of single items. (Limit 4 etc.) I’m of the mindset that if you don’t have 3 months of food in the house then there is a problem. Of course I’m in the country so a grocery is not 3 minutes away. The 7 ‘P’s” are the way to go IMHO…
    Our local walmart has had a limit per order since at least last year. Ours was 186. We've hit it a few times. We just pay and start a new order. I mean, with self checkout, we're de facto employees so we get to interpret the rules as we like, yes?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    That said, I haven't seen thighs for a while, but they almost always have legs and breasts in the large trays
    Been just the opposite up here. Big packs of thighs have been way more obtainable than breasts.

That's what's weird about this whole mess. There seems to be no consistency from one store to the next, even among the same store in different locations, with what's unavailable

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Been just the opposite up here. Big packs of thighs have been way more obtainable than breasts.

That's what's weird about this whole mess. There seems to be no consistency from one store to the next, even among the same store in different locations, with what's unavailable
    Having shopped at numerous different meijer locations over the years, we've conluded tend to be most consistent about being inconsistent in what they carry.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    When last we were in Michigan City (October), we were shocked at how well stocked the local meijer was compared to the one back home at the time. Full shelves and no limits then.

Not limits on many items here at the moment, but they're still in force on some items.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've not had this issue there. We usually don't hit meijer until after dark, and almost always on the weekend.

That said, I haven't seen thighs for a while, but they almost always have legs and breasts in the large trays.
    We would buy boneless skinless thighs,but those are nearly impossible to find at Meijer. Kroger, yes.

Then again, I got fed up with that, bought a fillet knife, and learned to de-bone my own. Problem solved.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    We would buy boneless skinless thighs,but those are nearly impossible to find at Meijer. Kroger, yes.

Then again, I got fed up with that, bought a fillet knife, and learned to de-bone my own. Problem solved.
    I used to buy boneless skinless, then got used to grilling the thighs bone in... then with skin, as that's what they had.

Last few times I went (last night being the most recent), they've had no thighs of any kind.

I should definitely buy a good fillet knife and learn the same. I was always amazed at how deftly my grandmother would debone a chicken (to be stuffed with a ham mixture, and then stuffed inside the deboned turkey for a solid slice of meat :drool:).

I've also gotten over buying eye of round roasts to make my own beef jerky. Recently, roasts I used to pay $12-$15 for are going for $30.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I used to buy boneless skinless, then got used to grilling the thighs bone in... then with skin, as that's what they had.

Last few times I went (last night being the most recent), they've had no thighs of any kind.

I should definitely buy a good fillet knife and learn the same. I was always amazed at how deftly my grandmother would debone a chicken (to be stuffed with a ham mixture, and then stuffed inside the deboned turkey for a solid slice of meat :drool:).

I've also gotten over buying eye of round roasts to make my own beef jerky. Recently, roasts I used to pay $12-$15 for are going for $30.
    youtube is your friend. You'll say "What?!?!? Is that all there is to it?"

TrueSeanamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2021
    Indiana
    OMG don't get me started.

Gas is up 100%, everything else at least 30 or 40%... many things you can't get at all... at any price.

As a VFW commander I've been fighting the battle of getting fish fry supplies for close to a year now. No Pollock this time, no Perch next, wrong Cat another. Same with other bar supplies. No little 4 oz cups for slaw, no 16 oz cups for bar drinks No beer & liquor for 3 or four weeks in a row because there are no drivers, no Pepsi products for the bar tap system. Gaming company not printing new games for the machines, and the ones they are... they're going from the 5 tab (pull tab) to a 3 tab format because of a cardboard shortage. Of course... the 3 tab ones don't feed for crap in the machines designed for 5 tab cards.

Wife and I were in Lafayette today looking for recliners. Walk in, and the store is completely full. Looks as if the whole world is at you feet for the taking. Sorry, don't have that one. Nope, that one either. We can order this one, but only in grey... be here in approx 6 months. NOTHING in stock.

I told the lady "We're on the road to "The Walking Dead". Pretty soon well be scrounging for a can of cream corn." I honestly do not know how the hell they are even staying open for business... unless the sheep are putting down their money, and waiting the six months hoping for the best.

Is this the "Build back better" plan?
    I'm not getting it, but the whole damn world seems to be accepting it just fine as the "new normal".
    I agree this continuous decline in quality of life is planned and implemented as part of their “build back better” “great reset” evil. But what is the average person supposed to do? If their chair is broken or otherwise destroyed, they don’t have much of a choice, it’s either a 6 month wait or no chair.

I have a bad feeling we are at minimum going into a long period of decline and thriftiness of the 1930’s will be necessary to keep our heads above water. That’s best case scenario as well imo. Worst Case is far worse as we get to serve our masters and live as serfs in their new world order.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Probably cheaper. And you get the bones to boil up and make your own chicken broth.
    I've been doing it with chicken breasts for years. Wait for a good sale, buy 20-30# or more and go to work. Put the individual breasts in the cheap sandwich bags then into a ziplock gallon size. Then take the bones and skin and either make stock or put them in a bag and save them until I had enough for a big batch to can.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Speaking of, We did a spatchcock chicken last night for dinner. I made stock from the bones, then cut up veggies and made chicken soup today with the leftovers. Soooooooo good. And the rest of the leftovers got vacuum sealed and in the freezer for the next pot.

And this is the video I learned to debone with.

/hijack.

Top Bottom