• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    I tried a search for this and came up with nothing. I'm wondering if anyone has sold of a firearm lately (or in the past) due to a lack of ammo available? I'm pondering parting ways with one for this reason. I have found ammo for it but because of the current market I can't justify paying what people/businesses are wanting for it. Pre-pandemic it was sub $1.50 a round (hunting grade); now it's more than double if not triple and in some cases it is quadruple. I'm finding it difficult to spend the coin for this ammo for what it is. The best I've seen was a business in Texas had 200 rounds for $700. I don't know if I can bring myself to it. I really don't have a connection to this gun but at the same time I don't want to sell it. It boils down to it continues to take up space in the safe while I (we all) wait for a possible drop in ammo price (which will more than likely never happen) or I part ways with it and use that money to buy more ammo for a different one?
    I did this once with a Japanese rifle. It was chambered in 6.5x50mm and there was no new manufactured ammo at the time.
    There also was very scarce amounts of surplus. At the time, Norma was making reloads, but the price was outrageous for a little amount. Obviously, it's a little different for a historical piece, but I couldn't shoot. No ammo available. Traded it for something that I could shoot.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I did this once with a Japanese rifle. It was chambered in 6.5x50mm and there was no new manufactured ammo at the time.
    There also was very scarce amounts of surplus. At the time, Norma was making reloads, but the price was outrageous for a little amount. Obviously, it's a little different for a historical piece, but I couldn't shoot. No ammo available. Traded it for something that I could shoot.
    Always look for a gunsmith to load you some rounds. Many of them pay the little extra to be a ammunition maker on the FFL. They will reload or load some brand new ammunition for a lot less most of the time than you can buy big factory name ammunition. My local gunsmith does this also.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I managed to find enough commercial 6.5 Jap (Graf and PPU) to build up a supply of brass, and now I just reload for it. It's a nice round! I've got a couple Type 38 rifles and also a sporterized Type 38 that I bought from another INGO member that I just love. Very accurate little rifle!

1643753610254.jpeg

Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    East German SSG 82. "Chambered for 5.45x39"........but not really. To get the best accuracy out of it you needed the double secret probation, unobtanium, dark matter ammo.
    Like Big Foot, pictures were available but little else.

MH

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I’ve never had issues with availability but I have considered parting ways with my PS90 due to the cost of the ammo. Problem is, I really enjoy the gun so I continually convince myself the round will gain more traction and come down in price eventually. I imagine I’ll still be sitting here 10 years from now holding on to that pipe dream.

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    Always look for a gunsmith to load you some rounds. Many of them pay the little extra to be a ammunition maker on the FFL. They will reload or load some brand new ammunition for a lot less most of the time than you can buy big factory name ammunition. My local gunsmith does this also.
    This would have been good, but a lot of the original brass just could not be acquired. It was really just a lose, lose and at that time I couldn't afford to do anything real costly.

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    I managed to find enough commercial 6.5 Jap (Graf and PPU) to build up a supply of brass, and now I just reload for it. It's a nice round! I've got a couple Type 38 rifles and also a sporterized Type 38 that I bought from another INGO member that I just love. Very accurate little rifle!

View attachment 179169
    From the little amount that I did shoot, it was a very pleasant shooting rifle. Minimal recoil, and not too loud either. I would have definitely kept it if I were able to shoot it more. I actually traded it to an Ingo member, so I know that it at least got a good home.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I’ve never had issues with availability but I have considered parting ways with my PS90 due to the cost of the ammo. Problem is, I really enjoy the gun so I continually convince myself the round will gain more traction and come down in price eventually. I imagine I’ll still be sitting here 10 years from now holding on to that pipe dream.
    Well PSA just came out with a 5.7x28mm handgun for $499. I imagine that's going to make 5.7x28mm quite a bit more popular.

Deimos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    Mooresville
    I have a Jap 7.7. Okay, an Arisaka Type 99. Ammo was scarce in the the "good ol' days" and has now became unobtanium. I found a local gun store with a reloading room, and for a nominal price (buy stuff from them!) they let me use their press and dies to reload 79 rounds for the gun. Try that.

Steinel makes AMAZING new 7.7j for the 99 and 6.5j for the Type 38 but their stuff is on back order because of high demand. I would strongly suggest getting that stuff if you ever need it. They even sell Nambu ammo.

Deimos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    Mooresville
    I have a VZ-52 that I haven't shot yet, I have about 50 rounds on strippers and I will shoot it at some point but ammo is fairly rare and difficult to find since it was the only rifle to ever use the Czech round 7.62x45. I sold a 1943 dated Carcano due to enbloc clip/ammo availability and I regret it.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory

View attachment 179169
    DD, I have 3 stripper clips of 6.5 Jap I would love for you to have. It isn't much but it is good stuff. It is on my bed side table with your name on them.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    DD, I have 3 stripper clips of 6.5 Jap I would love for you to have. It isn't much but it is good stuff. It is on my bed side table with your name on them.
    Thanks Dennis! Hang onto them and when you're fully mended and the weather warms a little, maybe I'll bring that J.C. Higgins model 60 down for you to take a look at to see if we can figure out how to replace the action bar. :yesway:

Top Bottom