Solar Powered Battery Charger - opinions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'm looking for/considering a solar powered battery charger for C, D, AA, and AAA cells. I'm thinking of something to easily charge batteries for flashlights, GPS, radios, and other small electronics.

Does anyone have any experience with any of the ones out there? Have a favorite? What do you like/dislike about yours? etc.

Here's one example of the kind of thing I'm thinking of (seen for $20 elsewhere):
    Solar Powered Battery Charger

I'm looking for a turnkey unit. Not interested in piecing together a panel, controller, etc. at this time.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Do you have one in mind that you're suggesting?

The solar example linked to in my first post will put out 150ma and about 5 volts as long as the sun shines.

As a dynamo example, this hand crank unit (Sidewinder Portable Cell Phone Charger) puts out about 300 ma (twice the current) at about 5 v, but only as long as you crank at 2 revolutions per second.

At that rate, I'd rather set out the solar unit and do something else while the batteries charge.

I should mention I'm looking for something portable.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    Here's one example of the kind of thing I'm thinking of (seen for $20 elsewhere):
    Solar Powered Battery Charger

I'm looking for a turnkey unit. Not interested in piecing together a panel, controller, etc. at this time.

That looks exactly like the one I have.
    Yes, they work well, on AAs anyway.
    That's the only battery size I've ever used in a solar charger.

I also use those solar landscape lights as chargers for AAs.
    You can catch them on clearance once in a while and they come with 2 or 3 AAs.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Do you have one in mind that you're suggesting?

The solar example linked to in my first post will put out 150ma and about 5 volts as long as the sun shines.

As a dynamo example, this hand crank unit (Sidewinder Portable Cell Phone Charger) puts out about 300 ma (twice the current) at about 5 v, but only as long as you crank at 2 revolutions per second.

At that rate, I'd rather set out the solar unit and do something else while the batteries charge.

I should mention I'm looking for something portable.

Hiya Cosermann!

Unfortunately solar cells really arn't that efficient, that example you linked could very well put out that much but it'd be under "ideal conditions" that would not be a reliable or sustainable charging rate under realistic conditions or use.

And solar celled rechargers are not going to beable to charge at night, they are not going to beable to charge if its cloudy or raining, they are a nice suppliment if your bugging in but if your living out of a backpack while your on the move you need your walkie-talkies, weather radio, cellphone or flashlight to work when you need it, ya know what I mean?

Get yourself a Freeplay Sherpa LED flashlight & you'll see how quickly a good dynamo device recharges, seriously a quick 30 seconds of winding = 10 minutes of usable charge/light.

In fact if your just getting into this you would really be better off to buy the Freeplay "Calamity kit" like this one here: Calamity Kit

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They're worth having around, especially if you're just running one or two small items.
    No moving parts and you can always keep a set charging while the others are in use.
    For the times when I think they might not keep up, I use a smart charger that
    plugs into a 12V lighter socket.

Hiya Justus!

Oh yea I agree! the more stuff a person has to make them more self-sufficent during an emergency crisis the better!

However I tend to look at SHTF from a living out of a backpack prespective, because that's the hardest route to prepare yourself for.

And solar really isn't efficient enough to make "the backpack cut" IMHO.

Top Bottom