• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Funny, I have lived here since 83 and now live downtown and have yet to eat at St. Elmo's. Expensive and what they are known for is not necessarily the shrimp in the shrimp cocktail but for how hot the cocktail sauce is. I love shrimp, but shrimp is shrimp.

You need to go and have the Cowboy Ribeye. You have no idea what you're missing. <grin>

casselmb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    I wasn't impressed with the weber grill in Indy the one time I went. Don't plan to go back.

I agree. I don't quite recall what I had - it was 5 years ago - but I have had no desire to go back since. I don't remember it being terrible, just not real impressive considering the many options downtown.

Someone else mentioned Bourbon Street Distillery earlier. I'm a fan. If you like bar food with a cajun or creole twist, that's your place.

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    For your first visit, I would say the downtown musts are:
    Dinner at St Elmos (if cost isnt a concern)
    Lunch at Shapiros
    Breakfast at Cafe Patachou
    If you like beer, go to Sun King for a tasting, (although there are many very good craft brewers around town.)
    If you like wine, go to Easleys for a tasting... next door to Sun King

For hibachi and sushi, go north to Kazan or Izakaya.

Also, try Dick's Last Resort for some fun.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    For your first visit, I would say the downtown musts are:
    Dinner at St Elmos (if cost isnt a concern)
    Lunch at Shapiros
    Breakfast at Cafe Patachou
    If you like beer, go to Sun King for a tasting, (although there are many very good craft brewers around town.)
    If you like wine, go to Easleys for a tasting... next door to Sun King

For hibachi and sushi, go north to Kazan or Izakaya.

Also, try Dick's Last Resort for some fun.

We've eaten at a Dicks before down in Orlando, and I want to say one in Gatlinburgh. It was fun, but no need to go back. Well definitely try Elmos, and probably a hibachi place.

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    We've eaten at a Dicks before down in Orlando, and I want to say one in Gatlinburgh. It was fun, but no need to go back. Well definitely try Elmos, and probably a hibachi place.

I agree the food isnt anything special but it is something fun and different. Maybe just someplace to hang out and have a drink.

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    St Elmos shrimp cocktail where the sauce is so spicy you would never know if the shrimp was bad. Steaks are good.

Capital Grill Delmonico steak is aweome

Fogo is killer

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Like others have said, if your girlfriend wants to go shopping, skip the downtown and castleton malls. Go to Keystone at the Crossing. Better in every way.

If you cannot get into St. Elmo's due to the NFL combine being in town, Harry & Izzy's is next to the Keysone Mall, and is a "little brother" of St. Elmos. Same exact steaks, shrimp, etc.

I also second Mama Carolla's if you are in the mood for Italian.

Fogo is fantastic, and I know they do a lunch special during the week (basically half price), not sure about the weekend.

Shapiro's is another Indy staple, if you're into huge sammiches.

I'm not big on seafood, but I've heard good things about Oceanaire.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Shoot I thought i was the only person on the planet that liked bosphorus. The owner there wants to go out shooting sometime.

Acapulco joes has amazing breakfast, just have a toilet close.

I wouldn't recommend anyone go to irvington for a visit to indy until they've exhausted other avenues on previous trips. Irvington is a good area with good food, surrounded by complete ****. Dead center they have a plasma center where you can get $20 for donating plasma. This attracts the crap area to the nice area. $20.00 can conveniently purchase you a rock of cocaine which you can get in the parking lot. Your rock of cocaine will set you up for an hour or so before you need another. Unfortunately you can't donate any more plasma so you'll have to go with the barter system with the local unlicensed street pharmacist. You then will have to break into houses or cars to amass a bunch of loot to trade for your medication.

True police story from irvington:
    A slim and attractive officer friend of mine was complaining about the new Arrestee Processing Center that had just opened. He was diligently patrolling the irvington area and saw a man of crackish stature crawling through the window of a 1/2million dollar home. The home belonged to the mayors aid or something. Luckily the man had stuff in his pockets so he could be charged with burglary, theft, criminal mischief, and in a search incident to arrest, possession of paraphernalia (crack pipe...shocker) This chiseled and delicious officer took the man to the APC and did his report. Later on that night he went back to the area as it gets hit hard with burglaries. The officer notices, 1 house down from the burglarized house, a crackish man half in and half out of a window. It was the same guy.

Well, true that I sometimes have to carve a path through Irvington to get to Fountain Square, but I figured since he'll be armed he can help contribute to the neighborhood cleanup effort we have going on down there.

slowman87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Definitely going to second the recommendations for either Fogo de Chao or Weber Grill. Scotty's Brewhouse is also good.

Enjoy!

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    If you like meat, the Fogo De Chao absolutely cannot be beat. It is hands down the best meal I ever eaten at a restaurant.

I second Fogo De Chao. It's a Brazilian Steak House. There's a card on the table for each person. One side means "leave me alone" the other side means "I want food." You flip the card over to the "I want food" side and a waiter comes around with a skewer of meat, tells you what it is, and asks if you want some. They also have a salad bar and some pasta dishes you can order as well. Not a hi-class place but they provide hi-class service.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I wouldn't recommend anyne go to irvington for a visit to indy until they've exhausted other avenues on previous trips. Irvington is a good area with good food, surrounded by complete ****. Dead center they have a plasma center where you can get $20 for donating plasma. This attracts the crap area to the nice area. $20.00 can conveniently purchase you a rock of cocaine which you can get in the parking lot. Your rock of cocaine will set you up for an hour or so before you need another. Unfortunately you can't donate any more plasma so you'll have to go with the barter system with the local unlicensed street pharmacist. You then will have to break into houses or cars to amass a bunch of loot to trade for your medication.

True police story from irvington:
    A slim and attractive officer friend of mine was complaining about the new Arrestee Processing Center that had just opened. He was diligently patrolling the irvington area and saw a man of crackish stature crawling through the window of a 1/2million dollar home. The home belonged to the mayors aid or something. Luckily the man had stuff in his pockets so he could be charged with burglary, theft, criminal mischief, and in a search incident to arrest, possession of paraphernalia (crack pipe...shocker) This chiseled and delicious officer took the man to the APC and did his report. Later on that night he went back to the area as it gets hit hard with burglaries. The officer notices, 1 house down from the burglarized house, a crackish man half in and half out of a window. It was the same guy.

Wow, you make Irvington sound a complete crap hole.

captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    Up around the Fairgrounds has a great atmosphere, lots of excitement after 10 PM, really anywhere on 38th street.

Top Bottom