So I got my Dillon 650XL out of storage for 9mm, 45 ACP, and .223... Where are all the small pistol primers?!?!?!?!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Ever since I moved into my new house in ~2012 my press and all of my reloading stuff has been in temperature and humidity controlled storage. Honestly I just haven't been shooting so much. I mostly just grabbed a box of 100 rounds here or there and went to the range when I had some spare time.

I have a suppressor coming and it's considerably cheaper to reload my own subsonic 9mm rounds than it is to buy them - granted I will spend time and effort doing the reloading it's not so bad with the Dillon and honestly - I enjoy it.

Thankfully I have a few thousand small pistol primers on hand ... because I can't seem to find them in stock anywhere!?!?!. Bullets? No problem. Brass? No problem. Powder? No problem. Primers? NOPE.

Is this a new/recent issue - or is there some sort of longer term pistol primer shortage going on? I ask because I haven't reloaded in so long I just have no idea if this is an ongoing thing or more of a temporary one.

Beyond that - holy crap primers have gotten expensive. $0.08~$0.12 each! Granted they don't seem to be in stock anywhere so......

At any rate even with it all being expensive - it's still cheaper than buying factory ammo and I enjoy the process of making my own loads.

Don't mind the mess - nothing is organized yet - I basically just took everything out of the boxes and assembled it roughly to make sure I have everything I need. A few parts seem to have gone missing so I'm waiting on them before I can really get started.

1672125779285.jpeg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Awesome. Picked up several thousand of each.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Indeed. I ordered some from them. They are way more expensive than I remember them being a decade ago but I guess that’s to be expected.

Yeah, don't get me started. :xmad: I think there is a lot more to the price of primers than just a shortage. I don't think our friends and partners in the primer business are really looking out for us. :nono:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Looking at my old sheets I could load 45 ACP for around $0.12-0.15 each using my own spent brass. Now the primer alone is almost this much….

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Yeah, don't get me started. :xmad: I think there is a lot more to the price of primers than just a shortage. I don't think our friends and partners in the primer business are really looking out for us. :nono:
    I agree 100 percent. The manufacturers do not give a poop about us reloaders. All they can do is blame “supply train” issues for now over 2+ years. It’s all BS. Holding back on production limits supply and raises prices per the laws of economics. These manufacturers can’t reasonably explain why the retail prices of primers have quadrupled in only 3 years. They even go far as to blame the war in Ukraine for every shortage known to mankind in the 2A community. It’s all BS, pure and simple. Just like the poop our “illustrious” idiot politicians use to explain all the problems plaguing our country. God help us all! Peace!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom