• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpo117

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I'm shopping around for a new gun to carry and it seems like everything I hold that I really like is a 380. I'm not that excited about trying to find 380 ammo or paying a premium for it when I do, but I also expect availability to increase and prices to decrease over the short term. I didn't shoot back before things got scarce so I was wondering, how much did the stuff used to cost back before the Great Ammo Shortage? And am I right in thinking that getting 380 ammo won't be such a hassle in the near future, or do you think that it will be harder to find from now on?

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    380 has been traditionally manufactured on seasonal runs, since it can be made on the same equipment that loads 9mm and there is a much higher demand for 9mm.

Combined with the fact that .380 is the maximum caliber a citizen can own in many countries, ammo hoarders, commodity shortages, etc... I think the price of .380 is going to stay up around $20 for ball rounds for the forseeable future.

Unless there is some shift towards more consistent manufacturing of .380, I just don't see this changing.

It's not a plinking round, for sure. It really never has been priced in that range. I remember when Blazer 9mm was 5.99 a box, .380 was 11 or 12. My .380 gets a box of HP's shot through it once a year, and another box in the drawer for carrying if i choose. I don't even bother to look for ball rounds anymore. IMHO it's really the bare-minumum personal defense round if you're going to carry. Lots of good ultra compact 9mm's out there that would fit the bill much more than a .380

Last edited:
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    What rimfire said! I never got into .380 because I like to shoot my guns a lot. I never bought into the "buy a gun and just fire it when you need to" theory. I have 9mm's because ammo is cheap enough to shoot and paractice and drill with them regularly, and you dont have to feel guilty when you rip off a box of ammo with your buddies. The more you shoot, the more comfortable you are with your weapon. Not shoot ing your CC or OC gun a lot just never made sense to me. Have you looked at the keltec PF9 and P11? good guns for the money. If you wanna spend a bit more there's the Kahr 9mm and the new taurus ultra slim or whatever. Any of these would do you nicely, and you can shoot the crap outta them and have fun!

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Always used to be a bit more expensive than 9mm Luger for ball ammo, I used to spend about 13-16 bucks a box for ball. Defensive stuff ran the gamut, anywhere from 15-18 bucks for lower end stuff all the way up to 25 or so bucks for premium, 20 round pack stuff.

Heck, Walmart used to have Remington 88gr JHP 100 round value packs for just under 30 bucks. Try to tackle one of those now, probably staring at a MUCH larger number due to artificial demand.

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    With the exception of the premium carry ammo, I have not seen any in over a year. I was stocked up good before the problem started, but I'm starting to look at the Taurus 709 alot more seriously now. I uses to pay $13/50rds, now you can't find it for any price.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'm shopping around for a new gun to carry and it seems like everything I hold that I really like is a 380.

If you cite some examples, then maybe we can suggest some alternatives. Guns with virtually the same ergonomics can most always be found in 9mm as well.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    The last I bought just happened to work out in the days following 9-11. Didn't think I would even find it, Wally World had it for around $13 a box of 50. Bought a box of silver tips wit h the gun in the late 80's for about the same price.

Might try your hand at reloading it if you can find the stuff for that.

Anyway, I quit carrying the gun so havent had to buy any for a while. Good thing because I don't care to pay the going rate nowadays. I'll just keep looking for my brass after I shoot it.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    With the exception of the premium carry ammo, I have not seen any in over a year. I was stocked up good before the problem started, but I'm starting to look at the Taurus 709 alot more seriously now. I uses to pay $13/50rds, now you can't find it for any price.
    :+1: on the Taurus 709. Deserves serious consideration as a .380 replacement. Guns & Ammo just did a very favorable writeup on it.

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    Crazed, I'm getting close to selling my Walther PPK/s to pay for the Taurus 709. I got a chance to handle one a few days ago and I think is just what I need. Figure I'll kept most of my 380 for my Kel-Tec.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    About a year and a half ago or so I stopped into Wal-Mart and they had WWB 100 round boxes on clearance for $16.97 or some such. Bought three and left three for others.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    heck I just bought some PMC brass at Rural King here in Terre Haute for 14.99/box. I guess thats not a bad price!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm a fan of 380s and like to shoot them a lot. That's not possible without a big bank account if you go commercial, but if you reload, 380 is one of the cheaper rounds to load. Right now, I'm running under $5 a box and 45 minutes of time using 95g LRN bullets. I'd love to see the days of cheap ammo return, but I'm not holding my breath waiting.

The other upside of reloading is that when I see that box of WWB 100rd 380 at Walmart, I can leave it for the next guy.

Top Bottom