• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    So my folks are 80 this year and I've been trying to get them to spend some winter months in Florida. They're farmers who now only rent the place out and my Dad has always been resistant of the whole "Snowbird" thing. But this past year he had a mild stroke, still fully mobile and functional thankfully but he finds he's cold ALOT and especially this past winter. They like to camp and have a 5th wheel camper and I've encouraged them to spend 4 or 5 months in Florida camping in an extended stay facility. There's no way I'd let them try and make that drive at their age, I would take the camper down there and bring it home or secure storage for them of some kind.

So I was wonder if any of you personally or have family who camp in Florida during the winter months, are there campgrounds you'd recommend or recommend avoiding, other considerations they (really I) should make when arranging a site like this? I realize that these spots are probably booked 12+ months in advance but they don't really need a beach front or premium location.

Just wanted to collect some additional wisdom from the group.

Thanks,
    Mike

(I'm not on here everyday so please excuse any delayed replies.)

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    My parents did this for several years. They pulled their 5th wheel to Indian Creek Park in Fort Myers Beach for several years then bought a park model trailer for their last few years there. It's a clean, well run park with about 1,000 people there in the winter and several that live there year round. Lot's of activities and a good place to make friends. Many of their best friends were met there.

I think it's good for their health to be out and active instead of inside in Indiana all winter.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    My folks did similar, pulled a 5th wheel or a travel trailer to a park just south of Naples. Then they bought a mobile home there and just drove their pickup back and forth. It is now called Naples Motorcoach and Boat Resort Club, on US 41.

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    Thank you both. I'll look into these and see what's available in the coming months and years.

I agree that staying in Indiana and inside is likely not best for their health and well being. Having them in an area with like minded seniors that they can socialize with is my goal.

Mike

Top Bottom