• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    The rimfire does sound like a good idea and 200 yds is plenty for now. Taking the new gun out to the range to get it zero'd tomorrow. Now we just need this snow to go away. Im off the next couple days so I'm going to come up with some target ideas and/or event ideas. Once the time gets closer we can come up with who's attending and the finer details. How many can safely shoot at your range?

im not sure depends on where we shoot. my range isn't a actual range its just a farm with targets set up in every dirrection from 50-800 yds. i shoot from 100-500 at one spot and 600-800 at another. plus i have a pistol area and diffrent shooting directions to take advantage of a cross wind or tail wind. if we are going to shoot from 100-200 yds with the rimfire id guess 10ish at one time. if we are shooting centerfire 600-800 probably 2. if you get a idea of how many shooters you want going at once and what ranges we can adjust areas.

also i thought since you mentioned a run to get folks heart pumping between shoots we could do some form of going between ranges. all my shooting spots are within 5-600 yds of the main range.

nick and matt.

you guys have been all over the farm if you can think of better areas post up. im thinking out loud here

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Hmm... sounds like we have a place to shoot and it sounds like you have targets already set up. Sounds like a pretty decent place also. Since you already have a set up, if you can think of any type of events (timed or untimed) let me know. If we make this like a FNS Event and have the shooter keep shooting until he knocks down all the target its fine with me. I looked at it as, in a real life long range shot you will most likely only get one shot per target before the target knows he is being shot at and runs. Precision is better than popping off shots left and right "hoping" to hit a target. Any ideas?

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Man I wish my brother and I weren't at school. This would be great practice for my 7mm RUM and his 300 Win.

Maybe in a couple years:):

This does sound like a great idea. Hopefully everything works our for you guys, and who knows maybe it will fall on a weekend I will be home so I could be there...

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    INDYGUNWERKS, then we just keep looking!!!

Obviously we need a rim-fire site and a center-fire site. I'm working on the latter. Does across county-lines make any difference??? I have a Nikkor Field-scope IIIA to bring for spotting. It's been a LOOONG time since elephant grass and rice-paddies; NO running, just lay out your mat and call it and shoot it. The rim-fire sounds like GOOD, REAL CHEAP FUN!!! Pat

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I'm brining THIS, and 50 rds Raufoss, @ $10./rd!! (And doesn't "SHF" have a nice ring to it!?!?!?) . . . . Product Review: Ultramag .50 BMG Upper Kit for AR-15, by Michael Z. Williamson

I recently tested the Ultramag .50, manufactured by Safety Harbor Firearms (SHF) of Florida.The Ultramag .50 is a bolt action, side-fed magazine, .50 BMG upper that uses the AR-15 lower and trigger group. The two big advantages to this setup are that [in the US,] the Ultramag .50 [barreled upper receiver] requires no paperwork to purchase, and is not on record as a large caliber weapon, since it is bought strictly as "replacement parts." As far as anyone is concerned, you own an AR-15, which can be more discreet if either purchased privately, or by using a forging such as this and drilling the five holes required to legally manufacture your own "single shot" lower (though the Ultramag is magazine fed).
    The lower need not have a bolt catch, disconnector or buffer assembly. It only needs the hammer, trigger and fire selector. A magazine release is not needed, but I believe a flush fit 10 round magazine body filled with lead would help reduce recoil, though I have not tried this yet. I did equip the lower with a MagPul PRS adjustable stock in lieu of the factory stock. The kit as tested included: 29" barrel with fluting, 5 round magazine upgrade from 3 round, an extra 5 round magazine, back up iron sights (BUIS) and carrying handle. I opted to use an adjustable Harris bipod, not the fixed length bipod from Safety Harbor, though this was for personal preference. I'm sure their factory bipod is quite sturdy. Safety Harbor Firearms includes a heavier hammer and spring and an anti-walk hammer pin with the kit. List price for this kit is $2,595. It's possible to save quite a bit with less options. While they do offer 18" and 22" barrels, those have always seemed too short for .50 BMG to me, since it was designed originally for a 36-40" barrel. They told me delivery would be 8-10 weeks, and it arrived right at 9 weeks, in a professionally fitted cardboard box within a box, instructions for changing the trigger group, a contact number for support and a catalog for accessories.

Fit, finish and operation of the Ultramag .50 can be described as flawless. One of the magazines had a very minor ding, possibly from shipping, that made it a bit sticky. SHF said to send it back and they'd replace it at once, no questions asked.

The .50 BMG round holds the record for sniping at 2,430 meters, and at ranges not much less can easily disable an engine or other heavy equipment. At $3.50-$7 per round and 20+ pounds, it's certainly not a close in or primary survival weapon. However, for defending the approach to a remote retreat it's just about the most accurate and powerful round available to civilians in the US. Pat.

I gotta see this!

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    So I've been doing some thinking and will be posting some more details tomorrow. Sounds like a few of you are interested in the rim fire and a couple of you are interested in much longer shots. I personally will pertake in the rim fire with the rifle I'm bringing, but wouldn't mind at all watching the longer shots. Ill explain more in detail tomorrow morning...

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Long Range Shoot

This is a RSVP Event and is still in the preplanning phase. This event will be moved to the “INGO Events” thread once a time and date is set (approximately ONE month out), as of right now we are considering sometime mid March.

Change: I will start taking names through PM Only.

Rim Fire Shooter / Spotters / Gun

1. Militarypol21 / Jsharmon7 /.17 HMR
    2. 40calpunisher / AllenM / 22 Magnum
    3. Jsharmon7 / Militarypol21 / 22 Long Rifle
    4. turnandshoot4 / Darklight / Ruger 10/22
    5. Darklight / turnandshoot4 / Ruger 10/22
    6. lewisjt / sandman / 10/22
    7. sandman / lewisjt / 10/22
    8. AirbornePFC / ___________________ / .22 or .17
    9. IndyGunworks / ___________________ / CZ 452 or ?
    10._______________ / ___________________ /__________________

Long Range Shooter / Spotters / Gun (FULL)

1.40calpunisher / AllenM / 308
    2. turnandshoot4 / Darklight / Savage 10FP .308
    3. Darklight / turnandshoot4 / Savage 10FP .308
    4. AllenM / 40calpunisher / 308
    5. lewisjt / sandman / R700 .308 or 24" AR 223
    6. sandman / lewisjt / R700 .308 or 24" AR 223

Timer / RO

1.________________ / ___________________

Stand-by List:

Directions to range:
    Once your RSVP is posted the address will be PM'd to you. Zip: 47353 (Aprx. 10 Minutes South of Richmond, IN.)

"Actual yardage is not set in stone and may be switched up."

Rim Fire Event #1

Rules:
    Each Shooter is assigned (1) color and is to engage ONLY his/her color balloon.

There will be the same amount of balloons per target but the balloons will be rearranged per target. (This is a layout example only, Large balloons will be used). The balloons will be spread out enough so that if you miss your target by only a few inches you will not hit another balloon, although if you do hit a different color balloon you will be penalized 10seconds (per balloon) from your final time.

You will start out at the 100yd target. Once you have engaged all YOUR balloons on that target your spotter will give you the all clear and you are then to engage the 200yd target. You will move up from 100yds to 400yds.

You may take as many shots as necessary to destroy all your targets.
    Accuracy is better than speed but you will be timed.

BalloonEvent.jpg

Rim Fire Event #2

Rules:
    Each Shooter is assigned (1) color and is to engage ONLY his/her color golf ball.

This range will be set up at 75yds and 100yds since the targets will be much smaller and possibly moving in the wind. (This is a layout example only). You will have 2 golf balls at each target to engage. Each golf ball is hung at multiple heights with a piece of thread that will break upon contact. A 10 second penalty (per ball) will be deducted from your final time if you engage the wrong color golf ball.

You may take as many shots as necessary to destroy all your targets.
    Accuracy is better than speed but you will be timed.

GolfBallEvent.jpg

Long Range Event #1

Rules:
    This is a countdown event. Each Shooter will engage both the 600yd and 700yd target.

These targets are multi-colored water filled balloons that will burst upon impact. (This is a layout example only). Each balloon is worth a certain point depending on size. The bigger the balloon the less points it is worth. The smaller the balloon the more points it is worth. A shooter will have a “to be determined” time frame (i.e. 2 minutes) to engage all targets. It is up to the shooter/spotter’s discretion as to which targets they wish to engage.

Once the clock hits 0:00.0 all shooting stops and the total points will be added. If a shooter is able to engage ALL balloons within the time frame, the clock will be stopped and the shooter will be given an extra point per seconds left on the clock.

WaterBalloonEvent.jpg

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...distance_with_my_10_22_range_report_pics.html

look that link over... i stopped when i couldnt hit an 8x11 sheet of paper at 200 yards.... thats about the size of a large balloon.... push it much past that i and i dont think anybody will even be competing... maybe small balloons at 75, medium at 100 and large at 150 and 200..... it will still be a challenge no matter what....
    have to keep in mind what dope will people have... who on here really has dope for thier rimfire at anything over 200?

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I completely understand 400 yards is a really REALLY long shot. The finer details and actual yardage will be set in stone in the next few weeks. This is just a reference point.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...distance_with_my_10_22_range_report_pics.html

look that link over... i stopped when i couldnt hit an 8x11 sheet of paper at 200 yards.... thats about the size of a large balloon.... push it much past that i and i dont think anybody will even be competing... maybe small balloons at 75, medium at 100 and large at 150 and 200..... it will still be a challenge no matter what....
    have to keep in mind what dope will people have... who on here really has dope for thier rimfire at anything over 200?

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Now that I think about it, I shot my 22 mag at 100yards and was not all that impressed. I think 200 yards maybe 250 should be the max. Im sure your 17 can do the 300 but thats if there is no wind to blow that tiny tiny bullet off course. With that 17, if a bird farts, you are going to miss.

Top Bottom