• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    So something like this for example? I would want more than just 3 targets at each marker though. The one thing I'd like to stay away from is the consitancy of each marker being the same. It would make it way too easy if I was assigned to knock down (#4) and (#4) was always the far left target at each marker. I would much rather switch up the numbers at each marker so we can ID our targets and then engage. How hard would it be to build 5 or 6 of these with 7 or 8 targets? Anyone here have some available or have any skills in making something?

26-14-7L.jpg

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    I seldom attend political incorrect events!

Did you mean to say "Long-Range Precision-Rifle Shooting", and not "SNIPER"? Then I might register. Do we have any 3,000~4,000 foot ranges around Indiana that the ordinary Applseed Johnny can get into?? Start at 50 yards and go on up. One important rule: distances are NOT to be called in Meters!! Hoosiers say "Yards/feet!!" And if it is WE vs the ZOMBIES, what is the point in timing the shots except for politeness? This is not a match -- it is our 'event'. If you need support, I'm IN. If you need $$$, I'm in. When you get both feet off the ground in a running-stance, tell me, and the first $250 will be in your hands. (I sure hope thumbuddy brings his Barrett 50BMG for pot-shots at $10 a whack!! ) No 'ear cover', then no entrance. All INGO clothing, caps and paraphernalia should be for sale. Site-supporters should be given special advertising space/tables. Let's do this!! ((By The Way, 40cal, there is no such thing as "First Annual..." anything.)) Pat

Last edited:

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Maybe if this hits off I might be interested in purchasing a bunch later on for future events. The reason I orginally thought of playing cards is because it's cheap and easy to set up and easy to tell if you hit your target by simply walking up and seeing the hole you made. I do see how this would take some time if there is a large group that atends. But I would also want to know with 100% accuracy if I did indeed hit a target. What about for starters a large piece of plywood with multiple color ballons nailed to them? Each shooter is given 5 shots to knock down his 5 balloons (one shot, one kill).

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    Andre, get on the wagon:

"They" are out to kill us. I shoot at androgynomorphous targets, and the 10-ring is where their black hearts would be. Even as a 'civilian' I prepare as for The Battle, to preserve The Constitution (ergo: 1st line of defense LEO), and as 'Military', I never was un-sworn 'to defend against ALL enemies, foreign and domestic.' You do not have the authority to speak for, "...we as gun owners..."
    I would think unless you are LEO or Military it would be a long range shooting event. IMHO I think we as gun owners should refrain from titles like Sniper, Assault Rifle, and so on.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I have a 6 inch self resetting target that can handle 308 and below at anything FARTHER than 500 yards.

if you wouldnt be against it you could make this a rimfire sniper comp and keep the ranges to 200 yards and under. i think vettes place might make an ideal location for something of that nature and everyone has a rimfire they could bring.

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I have a 6 inch self resetting target that can handle 308 and below at anything FARTHER than 500 yards.

if you wouldnt be against it you could make this a rimfire sniper comp and keep the ranges to 200 yards and under. i think vettes place might make an ideal location for something of that nature and everyone has a rimfire they could bring.

That would work for me. I just got a .17hmr. I think 200 yards would be max range for my hmr/scope. Where is this "vettes place" you are talking?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    or you could do balloon popping for one of the stages.... maybe a bonus shot 300 yards.... with a .22 this can be difficult esp with wind and a moving target (balloon)

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    If I have the $$BUCKS$$ by that time.....

I'm brining THIS, and 50 rds Raufoss, @ $10./rd!! (And doesn't "SHF" have a nice ring to it!?!?!?) . . . . Product Review: Ultramag .50 BMG Upper Kit for AR-15, by Michael Z. Williamson

I recently tested the Ultramag .50, manufactured by Safety Harbor Firearms (SHF) of Florida.The Ultramag .50 is a bolt action, side-fed magazine, .50 BMG upper that uses the AR-15 lower and trigger group. The two big advantages to this setup are that [in the US,] the Ultramag .50 [barreled upper receiver] requires no paperwork to purchase, and is not on record as a large caliber weapon, since it is bought strictly as "replacement parts." As far as anyone is concerned, you own an AR-15, which can be more discreet if either purchased privately, or by using a forging such as this and drilling the five holes required to legally manufacture your own "single shot" lower (though the Ultramag is magazine fed).
    The lower need not have a bolt catch, disconnector or buffer assembly. It only needs the hammer, trigger and fire selector. A magazine release is not needed, but I believe a flush fit 10 round magazine body filled with lead would help reduce recoil, though I have not tried this yet. I did equip the lower with a MagPul PRS adjustable stock in lieu of the factory stock. The kit as tested included: 29" barrel with fluting, 5 round magazine upgrade from 3 round, an extra 5 round magazine, back up iron sights (BUIS) and carrying handle. I opted to use an adjustable Harris bipod, not the fixed length bipod from Safety Harbor, though this was for personal preference. I'm sure their factory bipod is quite sturdy. Safety Harbor Firearms includes a heavier hammer and spring and an anti-walk hammer pin with the kit. List price for this kit is $2,595. It's possible to save quite a bit with less options. While they do offer 18" and 22" barrels, those have always seemed too short for .50 BMG to me, since it was designed originally for a 36-40" barrel. They told me delivery would be 8-10 weeks, and it arrived right at 9 weeks, in a professionally fitted cardboard box within a box, instructions for changing the trigger group, a contact number for support and a catalog for accessories.

Fit, finish and operation of the Ultramag .50 can be described as flawless. One of the magazines had a very minor ding, possibly from shipping, that made it a bit sticky. SHF said to send it back and they'd replace it at once, no questions asked.

The .50 BMG round holds the record for sniping at 2,430 meters, and at ranges not much less can easily disable an engine or other heavy equipment. At $3.50-$7 per round and 20+ pounds, it's certainly not a close in or primary survival weapon. However, for defending the approach to a remote retreat it's just about the most accurate and powerful round available to civilians in the US. Pat.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I'm brining THIS, and 50 rds Raufoss, @ $10./rd!! (And doesn't "SHF" have a nice ring to it!?!?!?) . . . . Product Review: Ultramag .50 BMG Upper Kit for AR-15, by Michael Z. Williamson

I recently tested the Ultramag .50, manufactured by Safety Harbor Firearms (SHF) of Florida.The Ultramag .50 is a bolt action, side-fed magazine, .50 BMG upper that uses the AR-15 lower and trigger group. The two big advantages to this setup are that [in the US,] the Ultramag .50 [barreled upper receiver] requires no paperwork to purchase, and is not on record as a large caliber weapon, since it is bought strictly as "replacement parts." As far as anyone is concerned, you own an AR-15, which can be more discreet if either purchased privately, or by using a forging such as this and drilling the five holes required to legally manufacture your own "single shot" lower (though the Ultramag is magazine fed).
    The lower need not have a bolt catch, disconnector or buffer assembly. It only needs the hammer, trigger and fire selector. A magazine release is not needed, but I believe a flush fit 10 round magazine body filled with lead would help reduce recoil, though I have not tried this yet. I did equip the lower with a MagPul PRS adjustable stock in lieu of the factory stock. The kit as tested included: 29" barrel with fluting, 5 round magazine upgrade from 3 round, an extra 5 round magazine, back up iron sights (BUIS) and carrying handle. I opted to use an adjustable Harris bipod, not the fixed length bipod from Safety Harbor, though this was for personal preference. I'm sure their factory bipod is quite sturdy. Safety Harbor Firearms includes a heavier hammer and spring and an anti-walk hammer pin with the kit. List price for this kit is $2,595. It's possible to save quite a bit with less options. While they do offer 18" and 22" barrels, those have always seemed too short for .50 BMG to me, since it was designed originally for a 36-40" barrel. They told me delivery would be 8-10 weeks, and it arrived right at 9 weeks, in a professionally fitted cardboard box within a box, instructions for changing the trigger group, a contact number for support and a catalog for accessories.

Fit, finish and operation of the Ultramag .50 can be described as flawless. One of the magazines had a very minor ding, possibly from shipping, that made it a bit sticky. SHF said to send it back and they'd replace it at once, no questions asked.

The .50 BMG round holds the record for sniping at 2,430 meters, and at ranges not much less can easily disable an engine or other heavy equipment. At $3.50-$7 per round and 20+ pounds, it's certainly not a close in or primary survival weapon. However, for defending the approach to a remote retreat it's just about the most accurate and powerful round available to civilians in the US. Pat.

i doubt you will find very many if any people willing to let a 50 bmg be fired on their property... or very many ranges for that matter.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    in a long range shoot I have money on phylodog to sweep. I do think the idea of a rimfire comp is very appealing, it can be done in a smaller space and cheaper and most likely funner.

Last edited:

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    the zip is 47353. im about 10 minutes south of richmond

The rimfire does sound like a good idea and 200 yds is plenty for now. Taking the new gun out to the range to get it zero'd tomorrow. Now we just need this snow to go away. Im off the next couple days so I'm going to come up with some target ideas and/or event ideas. Once the time gets closer we can come up with who's attending and the finer details. How many can safely shoot at your range?

Top Bottom