• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hvacrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Jay County
    Ok here is the deal I have a Springfield Armory 6-20x56 Gov't Model scope on a Rem. 700 LTR 308 I am thinking about changing the scope out for work. I am leaning towards a leupold mark 4 lr/t 3.5-10x50. Stay with what I have or upgrade? And are there any intrests in my scope?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The Leupold has better glass and more positive adjustments. I've had both and love the Leupolds on all my rifles. Sold both Springfields.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Sorry the springfield scope curious on those prices?

There seems to be a number of collectors of the Springfield scopes for some reason. I have owned a couple of Springfield scopes and IMO they were nothing to write home about. Not kicking on your scope but it is what it is. IMO I would sell it and upgrade. A 400.00 Super Sniper is three times the scope than any of the Springfield's.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I've used Zeiss glass with good results.

Of course you've already looked at Nightforce, Schmidt Bender, and U.S. Optics right?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Those scope are way too much money, I have two NIGHTFORCE & LEUPOLD MARK 4, but for the money I'm buying BURRIS BLACK DIAMOND & BUSHNELL ELITE:twocents:

it all depends on the use. for most shooters you are correct they will never use a high end optic to there potential or use the extra features they have. most shooters will never notice the diffrence between a couple hundred dollar scope and a couple thousand dollar scope.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    it all depends on the use. for most shooters you are correct they will never use a high end optic to there potential or use the extra features they have. most shooters will never notice the diffrence between a couple hundred dollar scope and a couple thousand dollar scope.

I only bought the two NIGHTFORCE NXS, because I was told that I needed the NIGHTFORCE NXS for my McMILLAN 50 BMG, but I've beening shooting 50 BMG with a BURRIS BLACK DIAMOND 8-32x50 & the only thing that scope lacks is {MOA} it only has 39 moa, but the mount on the McMILLAN gives you another 20 moa. In the future I would buy the BURRIS BLACK DIAMOND 6-24x50, cause it has 52 moa:twocents:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I only bought the two NIGHTFORCE NXS, because I was told that I needed the NIGHTFORCE NXS for my McMILLAN 50 BMG, but I've beening shooting 50 BMG with a BURRIS BLACK DIAMOND 8-32x50 & the only thing that scope lacks is {MOA} it only has 39 moa, but the mount on the McMILLAN gives you another 20 moa. In the future I would buy the BURRIS BLACK DIAMOND 6-24x50, cause it has 52 moa:twocents:

but your saying the tracking, recticle measurements, clarity, and everything else is jsut as good as the nightforce?

im not saying the burris is as bad scope, im saying there are features on the nightforce that alot of shooters dont need.

as far as holding up to a 50 there are a ton of scopes cheaper than nf that will do that

hvacrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Jay County
    Price range

Thats the thing I dont know my price range yet depends on what the Springfield is worth and how much my department will shell out. I'm a big fan of the Burris scopes as well. Any advice on price for a Springfield scope one is on ebay now for a buy it now price of 1199.00.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    There seems to be a number of collectors of the Springfield scopes for some reason. I have owned a couple of Springfield scopes and IMO they were nothing to write home about. Not kicking on your scope but it is what it is. IMO I would sell it and upgrade. A 400.00 Super Sniper is three times the scope than any of the Springfield's.

I have got both the Springfield and the Super Sniper. The SS scope has way to small of a clearance for magnum calibers. Very hard to look thru and keep your eye distance from the scope

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I have got both the Springfield and the Super Sniper. The SS scope has way to small of a clearance for magnum calibers. Very hard to look thru and keep your eye distance from the scope

I assume you are referring to eye relief? Both of my SS 10x's have 3.5 to 4" of eye relief. I don't own or shoot anything magnum so I don't know anything about that. Mine are on .308's and work just as good as my one Mark 4 10x and for more than half the money. Maybe that is why I like them.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    but your saying the tracking, recticle measurements, clarity, and everything else is jsut as good as the nightforce?

im not saying the burris is as bad scope, im saying there are features on the nightforce that alot of shooters dont need.

as far as holding up to a 50 there are a ton of scopes cheaper than nf that will do that

I didn't say the BLACK DIAMOND or the ELITE was just as good as a NXS. I like the NF NP-R2 reticles better than any reticles as for clarity most high end scope will look just great on a bright & clear sunny day. It's when an overcast day or dusk that you can really see how good the glass on your scope is:D I'm not going to say that a BUSHNELL ELITE 4.5-30x50 $899 BURRIS BLACK DIAMOND 8-32x50 $800 is equal to a NIGHTFORCE NXS 5.5-22x56 $1700 All i'm saying is for the money & shooting for fun those scope will be excellent, If you're shooting for your life or for prize money, than the NIGHTFORCE will have the edge:twocents:

Top Bottom