• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jag.40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2012
    i just walked outside my house and in front of my deck was a snake at least 3 and a half foot long it was dark grey not quite black and rattled it's tail when it saw me it had no other markings was just the one solid color does anyone have any idea as to what it may be :dunno:

jag.40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2012
    im sorry that may have not been the right word he was just shaking his tail he was not making any noise when doing it

UNCLE HARLEY

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    Kendallville
    i just walked outside my house and in front of my deck was a snake at least 3 and a half foot long it was dark grey not quite black and rattled it's tail when it saw me it had no other markings was just the one solid color does anyone have any idea as to what it may be :dunno:
    If he was at my house he would be D-e-a-d!!!:ar15:

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    It wouldn't be a hognose, they are small and don't grow to be very long.
    Snakes are your friend. So are spiders. They eat the real pests. I saw one at my moms the other day. We checked each other out and then went about our business.
    I'm with you. I'm always amused at the big tough guys who are afraid of snakes and think they have to kill them.

jag.40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2012
    I'm all for snakes being around we live in the woods so I'm used to a few small ones around the yard but this was bigger than any snake I had seen at my house so far... And yes Doug is fine as big as the snake was I'm sure it didn't have a month to waste attempting to eat her

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Probably living under your deck where its cool and dark. I had one living under my pond in my flower bed scared the crap out of my pregnant wife. She thought she was goin to have the baby right then and there.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Don't know what the big deal is about snakes (non-venomous anyway). We had a HUGE black snake living in our crawl space when we lived out in the country. It was one of those 70's FMHA developments outside of Springville. We were the only house in the area who didn't have mice too.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Sounds like a rat snake they always shake their tails like a rattler, as long as you have plenty of these around you wont have any copperheads, bring every rat snake i find home and turn it loose.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Sounds like a rat snake they always shake their tails like a rattler, as long as you have plenty of these around you wont have any copperheads, bring every rat snake i find home and turn it loose.

The giveaway to me was that it was over 3ft. long. It is a large snake, and that is quite unusual. We called them "black racers" or "black rat snakes" when I was a kid. They were often found bathing in the sunlight on the pavement, and quite a sight to see.

jag.40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2012
    i saw why you would call them "black racers" by time i got close to him he was on the way to the nearest tree line and didnt waste anytime getting there..... why do you say having these around will prevent copperheads from coming around ?

jag.40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2012
    I would have to say it was a black racer it was dull black, no pattern, and very quick thanks for the help everyone

Top Bottom