• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Anyone had a vintage S&W refinished in blue lately? S&W just told me they are not taking work right now, wondering if anyone has had it done from another source.

Thanks!

cs
    Not me personally, but my uncle had a place called Blue Ridge Blueing do an old Colt and it was nice work. Heard some good stuff about them after by several people as well. I don't know if they are still in business anymore.

What kind of finish are you looking for?

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I have a couple that aren't going anywhere, anytime.
    A S&W revolver is like a well broke in pair of boots. Just fits and feels "normal". I've shot a Python my uncle had and always had better results with my dads 4" model 19. When I found the one pictured above, it was a no-brainer. BossHoss looked over the internals and when it had a clean bill of health, it went to T&D for a make-over. As close to Dad's as I could get since his was stolen back in the mid 90s.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    i have 2" 19-3 that could use some love.....how reasonable is reasonable?.... :)
    Depends on condition.

Think, "I need someone to paint my car..."

Rusty? More expensive. Been wrecked? More expensive. You already cold blued it? More expensive.

Price depends on condition and end product. There is no "menu" on how much a restore costs. Prices vary on how bad, or how far you want to take your revolver.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Depends on condition.

Think, "I need someone to paint my car..."

Rusty? More expensive. Been wrecked? More expensive. You already cold blued it? More expensive.

Price depends on condition and end product. There is no "menu" on how much a restore costs. Prices vary on how bad, or how far you want to take your revolver.

i get that....i said love not stripped....holster wear

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    i get that....i said love not stripped....holster wear
    If you want it done right, then it will be stripped. All bluing will need removed, polished, and then reblued.

The pictures you are looking at and wanting are restores.

It's apples and oranges. I'd be happy to explain this further. Feel free to PM me.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    LLlllllllli know how it is done.....was just wondering what illlllllllllllllst him
    I can’t remember off the top of my head. If it was plppppppppllllto be stupid expensive I would have lived with it in the shape it was in. T&D does a hot bluing…. That was another plus. I heard S&W changed the way they were doing their bluing so results varied from gun to gun. I also had them put the orange insert in the front sight and add the white outline rear blade while they had it apart.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    i know how it is done.....was just wondering what it cost him
    The fact that people don't want to say should be a clue. I was looking around to get a Colt 1911 reblued that I had finished work on and it was pretty much stupid expensive to get bluing done anymore, even if I prepped it. If you have a model 19 with just some edge holster wear I wouldn't do it, for one it'll lose value and for that gun you'd likely spend at least a third to half of the value getting it reblued that you'd never get back out of it. If you are going to do it make sure it's a gun you intend to keep.

Top Bottom